Gibson Brands Forums

LP studio. help please!

haunted

I have last years model Gibson LP Studio and noticed that both the Bridge and the Stopbar Tailpiece are raised on the left side (6thstring side). Is this normal or should it be adjusted? if so how would i go about adjusting?

There also seems to be a problem with my switch. When I goto Treble it doesn't always pick it up right away, as i need to strum a few times to get some sound.

thank you for your time.

::edit::

I should note that the bridge and stopbard are about half a inch higher then the other side.

As the right side no part of the screw is showing, the left you can see about half inch.

if it is like that when you look at it when it is standing up straight it is wrong, but if it's like that when you look at it lying flat, it's normal unless you're having intonation, action, and fret buzz problems. the pickup problem might be a loose internal wire connection (which really isn't that common as far as i've heard, but i guess it happens!). I don't know if you want to be playing around with the wiring and the inside of your guitar unless you kinda know your way around. the second thing it might be is a bent input jack or a bad cable, making for a bad signal. when i first got my guitar i had just about the same problem. it turned out that the store had given me a bad (even for a cheap one) cable, and on top of that it bent the inside of my input jack. so i opened the input jack and played around and bent it until it worked. if that doesn't work you can try to buy a new input jack, take it to a GOOD guitar tech, or ask the store if they'll help. i think that's about it. if you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask!

Did you buy it new? I don't think all places do this' date=' but some music stores offer one free setup on all new guitars they sell. Just point out that the bridge looks funny to you and that the pickup switch doesn't always work.[/quote']

i did buy it new, over a year ago. since then guitar center has bought the store. maybe ill bring it in for a set up anyway. thanks for the reply!

if it is like that when you look at it when it is standing up straight it is wrong' date=' but if it's like that when you look at it lying flat, it's normal unless you're having intonation, action, and fret buzz problems. the pickup problem might be a loose internal wire connection (which really isn't that common as far as i've heard, but i guess it happens!). I don't know if you want to be playing around with the wiring and the inside of your guitar unless you kinda know your way around. the second thing it might be is a bent input jack or a bad cable, making for a bad signal. when i first got my guitar i had just about the same problem. it turned out that the store had given me a bad (even for a cheap one) cable, and on top of that it bent the inside of my input jack. so i opened the input jack and played around and bent it until it worked. if that doesn't work you can try to buy a new input jack, take it to a GOOD guitar tech, or ask the store if they'll help. i think that's about it. if you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask![/quote']

I'm looking at it from the back DSC01911.jpg

Its laying flat. You can see the stopbar here and the bridge has about the same unevenness. This picture is bad but if it was clear, youd be able to see the left side is a half a inch higher. I am having a bit of buzz problems but the action is high enough that I dont know whats causing.

The switch problem just seems to be getting worse. I guess I'll need to bring this in before it gets worse.

Or you could do what I did and buy a book on guitar repair/maintenance...but that's if you like working on your guitar and not just playing it. There's a few good ones out there. The one I bought is called "Guitar Player's Repair Guide." It set me back $25. A setup is gonna run you back $50 easily. So, in that sense, the book is a deal.

I personally wouldn't do things like fret work (leave that to the pros), but for the problems you're describing, the book is perfect.

Archived