Gibson Brands Forums

Johnt's 12-string thing.....

Thermionik

My band's new album features a Giannini classical guitar-it is a '70s model, owned by our producer, Stephen Darrell Smith-it's an unbelievably sweet guitar. He has a STUNNING Guild 12-string Dread from the early '80s too which is just the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, I am lucky to be temporary custodian of Johnt's Giannini Model 1001 which dates back to '67. Neck is as wide as the Missisippi, and the sound is about as rich and deep. My own first guitar playing was in Spain ways back in '62/'63 and from time to time, I go back to roots, and that Giannini does it all for me.

My original 1962 spanish was hand-made for me in Granada by some guys who knew Segovia better than Esteban, before Esteban and for longer than Esteban (none of which would be difficult!) and I dragged that poor old girl around for over forty plus years until she was in such a state you couldn't play her - more repair than original wood and an action you could fly a biplane under. So in 2006 I set the guitar elf free and burnt her old house on a funeral pyre with much wine drunk, and her embers dissappeared for ever into the night sky and back up to the stars.

That Giannini of Johnt's is harder to play, but actually more rewarding, and is a fine old guitar. I note they are STILL making them today. No idea what they are like now - but those old ones are pretty darned good.....

I set the guitar elf free and burnt her old house on a funeral pyre with much wine drunk, and her embers dissappeared for ever into the night sky and back up to the stars.

Thermionik-That's a wonderful sentence. If it's yours, I applaud you profusely!! Well said, lad.

All mine (and think you kindly sir) - every guitar has a spirit of some kind (easiest to call it 'the guitar elf') and it's that which grabs you when you find those 'right' guitars. Some guitars have grumpy, nasty elves that never gel with you, some have elves that see you coming and say to themselves 'THAT's the person I want to go with.....' and as soon as you pick their guitar up, you HAVE to have it.....

Crazy, I know - but guitars usually show more than just wood and steel, more even than the hours of work from a caring craftsman. Sometimes you can coax a guitar into being better, you nurture the elf with some care and it repays you, and it works t'other way too - neglect them at your peril.....

Some guitars have elves that just point blank refuse to co-operate, but come to life when somebody else talks to them. And sometimes their guitar has just gone so far down the road, you need to set them free to find another one - and that does NOT involve going to a landfill.....

I like the "Guitar Elf" analogy.... I have always said, when it comes to solid wood guitars that, "Some wood just WANTS to be a guitar".

Same principal applies in that wood that want's to be made into a guitar is likely haunted by some sort of guitar elf who, as you so aptly put it, spends it's entire life housed in a beautiful, melodic wood house.

Now that begs the question... Do the Gibson elves always get along with the Martin, Taylor, Guild, etc elves and visa versa? What happens to those of us that have multiple guitars in our own homes? Do the elves sing in harmony at night or do they have some form of elf war while we are sleeping? Could this be the reason some of us have opened a case in the morning, only to gaze down on a split soundboard or a lifted bridge? Could it be the reason we dont "Bond" with a certain guitar that get's added sometimes? I wonder if the elves that don't get along do battle and try to smash the opposition while those that do, live out their lives in relative contentment in our music rooms.

In response to your PM.....That my friend is exactly what I mean..... [-X

I have played literally hundreds of guitars over my 30 years of playing. The 3 I currently have screamed TAKE ME HOME... I have to think they are the ones with the elves and it is not just the "Voices in my head" lol

I am still playing around with a recent find off Craigslist for my daughter. It is a 1980's "Phantom" Strat copy guitar likely made in Korea or Japan and imported or assembled in New York. I don't know what it is, but after selling my MIA Strat to buy my Legato handbuilt acoustic guitar with the walnut back/sides and bear claw sitka top, I missed having an electric around and my daughter is more interested in electric than acoustic so I picked the Phantom (has a little ghost above the name on the headstock). I swear that ghost might just be a representitive of the elf family as the guitar is extremely well made and in awesome condition and plays almost as well as my MIA Strat!!! I don't miss the Strat at all and kind of like having this "No name" guitar on a stand in my music room.

GO ELVES!!!

Well' date=' I am lucky to be temporary custodian of Johnt's Giannini Model 1001 which dates back to '67. Neck is as wide as the Missisippi, and the sound is about as rich and deep. My own first guitar playing was in Spain ways back in '62/'63 and from time to time, I go back to roots, and that Giannini does it all for me.

My original 1962 spanish was hand-made for me in Granada by some guys who knew Segovia better than Esteban, before Esteban and for longer than Esteban (none of which would be difficult!) and I dragged that poor old girl around for over forty plus years until she was in such a state you couldn't play her - more repair than original wood and an action you could fly a biplane under. So in 2006 I set the guitar elf free and burnt her old house on a funeral pyre with much wine drunk, and her embers dissappeared for ever into the night sky and back up to the stars.

That Giannini of Johnt's is harder to play, but actually more rewarding, and is a fine old guitar. I note they are [b']STILL[/b] making them today. No idea what they are like now - but those old ones are pretty darned good.....

Guitar elves and Giannini's eh??

Was intrigued by title of this post, I didn't know I had a 12 string thing! (LOL)

Any road...

Consider the Giannini yours!

I had forgotten about it until you played it down the phone to me the other night.

You don't happen to have my 66 Strat and '46 rosewood J200 do you,?

I've forgotten about them too!

That guitar (Giannini) as I told you has had a chequered life and if it's elf has decided to live in the wild wild wolds then so be it!

BTW did I leave some dope in it?

J

Dunno about some dope IN it - but it came with your sister, so I have to say:-

Have at you sir - how DARE you insult your sister and the lady I love so.

Pistols at dawn.

And no - I looked all around the insides and can't see those guitars in there.....

Dunno about some dope IN it - but it came with your sister' date=' so I have to say:-

Have at you sir - how DARE you insult your sister and the lady I love so.

Pistols at dawn.

And no - I looked all around the insides and can't see those guitars in there.....

Merde!

It sounds like you found the dope!

I am too late!

Merde!

Archived