Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 with 50s neck profile

wlm50

Hi, I really like the CS-336 (especially the plain top), but the 30/60 neck profile is too slim. I'd like a 336 with the 50s profile. Other than custom ordering one, which I can do for a premium, does anyone know of any limited runs? Anyone know of a 336 with a chunky neck that is available? I've been searching for a Lee Roy Parnell, which was a limited run a few years ago, but not only can't I find any that are available, I also think they have a very fat neck (like the '54 historics). That might be OK, or it might be a bit large. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would also love a Lee Roy Parnell and should have bought one when they were introduced. You just can't find them now. I played #001 (Lee Roy's) and it had the biggest neck Gibson makes, It was huge but i loved it.

As far as the 336, contact each dealer that has them because each neck is hand made and a slightly different profile. Most that I have held were more of a 59 profile and not as thin as a 30/60. You may also want to consider a 339. Having a dealer order one should not be a big premium because you are ordering a stock item and nothing specific. Some of the dealers may be ordering them for their 2011 stock now anyway.

CR9, thanks for the reply. Good idea about checking with dealers. I'll give that a try. I did get a quote from Dave's Guitar a few months ago, and I may check back and see if that is still valid. It seems like there would be a lot of people interested in a 336 with a 50s neck. I'm surprised none of the big vendors has made a limited run. Hint! Would others be interested?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I really like the CS-336 (especially the plain top), but the 30/60 neck profile is too slim. I'd like a 336 with the 50s profile. Other than custom ordering one, which I can do for a premium, does anyone know of any limited runs? Anyone know of a 336 with a chunky neck that is available? I've been searching for a Lee Roy Parnell, which was a limited run a few years ago, but not only can't I find any that are available, I also think they have a very fat neck (like the '54 historics). That might be OK, or it might be a bit large. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

wlm50, Hi! Below is what it says on the Gibson Guitar website. I have a CS-336 (2008). The neck is definately not a 50's profile. But they are all different since

they're handmade...Paul

Body

The CS-336 delivers the classic look of the 335 with its elegantly tapered figured-top but the Custom Shop’s engineers have enhanced the CS-336’s playability. Although the CS-336 has the same body lines as the ES-335, the model is scaled down to provide solidbody style comfort. And its neck has the slim, "fast" profile of vintage ’60s Gibson guitars. To create truly great resonating properties, the back and sides of the CS-336 are a single piece of mahogany that is shaped inside and out like a classic Gibson archtop, but with a solid center beam running the length of the body from the neck tenon to the tail block. The model’s solid, two-piece maple top is also carved inside and out to the shape and thickness of ES-series archtops, but it, too, has a solid center section that matches up to the center beam of the body. And before each CS-336 leaves the Custom Shop it is checked and adjusted by one of Gibson’s state-of-the-art Pleck machines, ensuring the ultimate ready-to-play set-up.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked for a fatneck cs336 but all of them were skinny. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and you know there is not that much difference in fat or skinny necks. My hummingbird has a skinny neck all of my other guitars have fatter necks. I love them all.

The 336 is very comfortable to play and has great tone and playability. She weighs 6.62 lbs.

IMG_2133.jpg

• 3 years later...

Archived