Gibson Brands Forums

serial number issue with Gibson 335 custom shop

mazing85

It is my understanding that the Historic Series continuation of the "A" serial numbers is meant to replicate the serial number system used on the original instruments from the late 50's. Therefore it is just a sequential series of numbers and contains no "date code".

That said, Gibson Customer Service should be able to tell you a few things about your guitar from their records.

I don't know enough about 335s to differentiate a 1998 from a 2008. 2008s all should have '57 Classics except for the Memphis Block neck. Why don't you just take the pickups out to see what you have?

I might do it !!! But would like to kow what the people from Gibson can tell me about this guitar !!!

I think the frets are not original but im not sure, and the production year is a mistake for me as well !!!

I might do it !!! But would like to kow what the people from Gibson can tell me about this guitar !!!

I think the frets are not original but im not sure, and the production year is a mistake for me as well !!!

anyone knows what year of production is this custom Shop 335 ?? serial number is A-98015.

1998 or 2008 ??

Someone from Gibson must know

Thanks

The Es-335 1959 reissue was introduced in 2002, so the year of manufacture must be 2008 in this case. In addition to this:

Historic ES MODELS (since 1995):

(A or B -MYRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of Historic ES production for that year.

Reissue model codes:

2= ES-295

3= 1963 ES-335 (block inlays)

4= ES-330

5= ES-345

9 with an "A" prefix = 1959 ES-335 (dot inlays)

9 with a "B" prefix= ES-355

Example: A-38005 is the 5th '63 ES-335 Reissue produced in 1998. B)

The Es-335 1959 reissue was introduced in 2002, so the year of manufacture must be 2008 in this case. In addition to this:

Historic ES MODELS (since 1995):

(A or B -MYRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of Historic ES production for that year.

Reissue model codes:

2= ES-295

3= 1963 ES-335 (block inlays)

4= ES-330

5= ES-345

9 with an "A" prefix = 1959 ES-335 (dot inlays)

9 with a "B" prefix= ES-355

Example: A-38005 is the 5th '63 ES-335 Reissue produced in 1998. B)

Hi , many thanks for the reply. Then I understand that my guitar with serial A-98015, could be a Historic model from 98, or maybe a Reissue from 2008. That´s understood, but theres any way i can find out exactly which year of production is. How can identify it ??

Im almost sure is a 1998 but i would like to confirm it.

Thanks

In fact I have to rectify something here; the serial number can also refer to a normal ES-335 from 1998. The first 9 does not necessarily mean that it's a 1959 reissue.

As it's a sunburst, it must be a 1998 model, as the 2008 model is not a sunburst. You can however also always check the pot codes for an idea for the year of manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact I have to rectify something here; the serial number can also refer to a normal ES-335 from 1998. The first 9 does not necessarily mean that it's a 1959 reissue.

As it's a sunburst, it must be a 1998 model, as the 2008 model is not a sunburst. You can however also always check the pot codes for an idea for the year of manufacture.

Thanks, the thing is that my guitar is not a normal. Mine is a custom shop, it has the custom shop stamp on the back of the neck.

So according to the serial number A-98015 in the orange label, this is a Historic Custom Shop, but no still no idea whether is from 1998 or 2008.

Thanks, the thing is that my guitar is not a normal. Mine is a custom shop, it has the custom shop stamp on the back of the neck.

So according to the serial number A-98015 in the orange label, this is a Historic Custom Shop, but no still no idea whether is from 1998 or 2008.

I have see that the pick ups are PAF, .... but still doesnt now the year of production of this custom shop guitar !!!

I have see that the pick ups are PAF, .... but still doesnt now the year of production of this custom shop guitar !!!

I need to know year of production of my guitar.

Please help. Can be a 1998 or a 2008 according to the serial number...but i need to know exactly.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks guys !!

Archived