Gibson Brands Forums

What is a Gibson "Blem" as opposed to a scratch n' dent??

jhkunkel

I think it depends where you're buying it from. I recently bought a Gibson SWD from an Internet dealer that advertised it as a "blem". When it arrived, I couldn't find anything at all wrong with it. The only thing I noticed was that it was a 2006 model. I think it's possible that dealers want to move their new/old stock and advertise it as a "blem" in order to reduce the price and move it.

The local Gibson Dealer still hanging in good here has always put it pretty much as ksdaddy stated in that Gibson doesn't sell 'seconds' any longer. He sells his as 'blems' should he have a very small accident in the store and denotes the area. On returns, he reduces the price still calling it a 'blem', if the instrument has been a return for whatever reason. He says acoustic returns are head-shakers to him as he doesn't hang one for sale without inspecting it first. So, yea, I imagine one can get a 'blem' quite often and never find the source of the irregularity. Fingers crossed! Hope you come out that well on your order, jhkunkel.

Steve

Looks like albertjonh may have bought a 'blem' - the blemish seems to be they forgot to glue the fingerboard on to the neck. Quality Control must have been tied up in a card game one friday afternoon.....

See Bozeman, we have a problem.....

I guess you could call my AJ a blem because it appears that the low E bridge pin hole was drilled a bit north of center and perhaps at a tiny angle because the pin sits high and leans toward the saddle (these are tiny, tiny issues).

The fit of the pin is excellent and there is no intonation, volume or tonal problem - so I just think of it as cool because my AJ is unique in this small way.

That "blem" saved me $600.

Hail blems.

Looks like albertjonh may have bought a 'blem' - the blemish seems to be they forgot to glue the fingerboard on to the neck. Quality Control must have been tied up in a card game one friday afternoon.....

See Bozeman' date=' we have a problem.....[/b']

Let's not be so quick to criticize Bozeman QC until the exact cause of the problem is determined. If it turns out to be a humidity problem, that's not Bozeman's fault.

Archived