Gibson Brands Forums

Roky Erickson

Bowdiddley

I know lots of people who love that guy. He gets respect for having been in the loony bin. I've played in a bunch of garage rock bands as well as noise, etc. so in a way I think I'm supposed to like him or something but he just somehow doesn't do it for me.

Dude is revered in many circles I can tell you.

Billy Gibbons and Rocky

Todd I just watched this documentary about him and Billy is on it talking about Roky and how he (Billy) liked his work. [thumbup]

You're Gonna Miss Me

He was put in a maximum security mental institution for a joint! Johnny law be serious in Texas! I tell you what, I'm not going to Texas! [scared]

Big fan. And I've been fortunate enough to see him several times in recent years and it's great to see him back on stage and in better health. Most recently saw him with Okkervil River backing him. Great show. And Roky can still play.

I'd love to catch him live! He looks much better now that they've got him on meds. That documentary I watched shows his mom wouldn't let him have his meds and his brothers had to take it to court. Sad [thumbdn]

That joint got him three years in Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. While there he was treated to electroshock treatment and various experimental therapies. The documentary is really good, if sometimes grim. And if you see him live now, while he kind of relies on someone like Okkervil River's Will Sheff to keep the show on track, it's pretty uplifting to see how far back he's come with decent treatment. The latest record, True Love Cast Out All Evil, includes some tunes recorded while he was a guest of the state of Texas.

Archived