• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Classic 57 (non plus) from 498t

#1 User is offline   jc0r 

• Group: Members
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hi all

I have a Gibson 57 Classic (non plus) that is currently not in any guitar. I own an Gibson SG Standard that I am thinking of putting it in at the bridge position, but am worried the stock 490r in the neck might overpower it. Although I don't have a massive dislike towards the 498t, I do prefer Alnico II over V for my style of play.

I believe the 490r and 57 Classic are of similar output, not knowing much about electronics, after watching a video on YouTube by Lollar Guitars I got hold of a multi meter and set it to 20k ohms and got a reading of 8.17 off the classic. As the 490r is currently wired into the SG, I got strange readings of 4.0 on both neck and bridge, I assume this is because it is currently installed. Does anyone know how the 8.17 will compare to a 490r or any other suggestions to what I have said would be welcomed :)

Many thanks

Jc0r
1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2010 Gibson SG Standard
2005 Gibson Les Paul DC Gold Top SOLD
1992 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Standard '59 Reissue
1982 Greco Les Paul Custom
2009 Fender American Vintage 57 Stratocaster
2006 Fender Japan Telecaster SOLD
1990 Ibanez RG550
1995 Jackson Custom (Real Bill Lawrence XL500)
1996 Fender Telecaster Steve Morse lookalike
1998 Yamaha APX-4L
1997 Warwick Bass
1998 Ibanez RG 470L SOLD
1991 Fender Stratocaster MIJ
1981 Ibanez Blazer
1980 Washburn Hawk
Ibanez EX 170 L (My first guitar)
Les Paul Studio (Made by Me)
JC Ohe (Designed and made by me)
Crappy Spanish Guitar

#2 User is offline   JLHooker 

• LocationBucksnort, Ms

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

I have had a similar situation.I installed a 57 classic and a classic plus in an Epiphone LP.The classic plus overpowered the classic so much that I could not balance it out by adjusting the height.I took the classic out of the neck position and installed a 490.the 490 neck and the 57 classic plus work well together.I had purchased the 57 classic from Musicians Friend and I do belive that it had something wrong with it as I have tried it in other guitars withm the same result.
JLHooker

#3 User is offline   Snoopy 

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postjc0r, on 14 January 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

Hi all

I have a Gibson 57 Classic (non plus) that is currently not in any guitar. I own an Gibson SG Standard that I am thinking of putting it in at the bridge position, but am worried the stock 490r in the neck might overpower it. Although I don't have a massive dislike towards the 498t, I do prefer Alnico II over V for my style of play.

I believe the 490r and 57 Classic are of similar output, not knowing much about electronics, after watching a video on YouTube by Lollar Guitars I got hold of a multi meter and set it to 20k ohms and got a reading of 8.17 off the classic. As the 490r is currently wired into the SG, I got strange readings of 4.0 on both neck and bridge, I assume this is because it is currently installed. Does anyone know how the 8.17 will compare to a 490r or any other suggestions to what I have said would be welcomed :)

Many thanks

Jc0r

If the pickups are installed you can measure the ohms by selecting the desired pickup and turning the volume control up full. Then you put a patch lead into the output jack and measure the ohms across tip and sleeve.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users