Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 What caps, pots??

glennc

At it again,

Have just acquired a GC special, looks like a natural finish LP Jr. Would like to get suggestions on potentiometer ohms,

going to CTS and cap types and sizes. Want this baby to sing old style. Thanks for any help. Or show me where to look.

glennc

At it again,

Have just acquired a GC special, looks like a natural finish LP Jr. Would like to get suggestions on potentiometer ohms,

going to CTS and cap types and sizes. Want this baby to sing old style. Thanks for any help. Or show me where to look.

glennc

Totally up to you as to what you choose. Depends on the tone you're looking for. 250 or 500 audio taper pots for volume, depending on how you want the highs to come through. For caps, I've had good luck with MOD Oil-filled caps, available online at tubesandmore.com I prefer 0.022 caps. They're fairly inexpensive and give a warmer more vintage tone in my opinion. For the tone pots, the simple route is to match the volume pots. There are no-load 250 pots available that work well for tone circuits. If you can afford to experiment a little try buying up several different pots and caps, and then use jumper wires with alligator clips to hook them up. It's crude, but you can test a lot options out without having to commit. Hope that helps.

Totally up to you as to what you choose. Depends on the tone you're looking for. 250 or 500 audio taper pots for volume, depending on how you want the highs to come through. For caps, I've had good luck with MOD Oil-filled caps, available online at tubesandmore.com I prefer 0.022 caps. They're fairly inexpensive and give a warmer more vintage tone in my opinion. For the tone pots, the simple route is to match the volume pots. There are no-load 250 pots available that work well for tone circuits. If you can afford to experiment a little try buying up several different pots and caps, and then use jumper wires with alligator clips to hook them up. It's crude, but you can test a lot options out without having to commit. Hope that helps.

Hello zebrafirebird,

Thanks for you help. So the electronics between the Humbuckers and the single coils don't vary that much. I appreciate the recommendation also. Maybe I will take the time and do the experimenting you've mentioned. Take care.

glennc

I just stuffed a new Gibson P-90 into the bridge position of a Strat. After messing with a variety of high quality CTS pots ranging from 290k down to 230k, I settled on the 233k.

Coming from the 60's, I've utilized a number of these pups as well as Gibson's P-94s in a number of my main tools because they DO recreate the 'classic' hard rock tones of the best era in musical history. Mind you, I can only speak from the 'ear point' of someone using Marshall and fender amplification exclusively for 4 decades... [thumbup]

On the caps thang, I left the stock Fender .022 alone as it does justice for my purposes. My Epiphone Les Paul Custom is upgraded with P-94s. It came originally with Humbuckers (non-discript)and I immediately tore them out and simply dropped in the P-94s... same as one of my Fender Teles. Since the Gibson P-90s and P-94s are single coils, they seem to do best with caps under the .o27 value and pots under 300k. This of course, is purely my preference for the tones and power I seek.

I just stuffed a new Gibson P-90 into the bridge position of a Strat. After messing with a variety of high quality CTS pots ranging from 290k down to 230k, I settled on the 233k.

Coming from the 60's, I've utilized a number of these pups as well as Gibson's P-94s in a number of my main tools because they DO recreate the 'classic' hard rock tones of the best era in musical history. Mind you, I can only speak from the 'ear point' of someone using Marshall and fender amplification exclusively for 4 decades... [thumbup]

On the caps thang, I left the stock Fender .022 alone as it does justice for my purposes. My Epiphone Les Paul Custom is upgraded with P-94s. It came originally with Humbuckers (non-discript)and I immediately tore them out and simply dropped in the P-94s... same as one of my Fender Teles. Since the Gibson P-90s and P-94s are single coils, they seem to do best with caps under the .o27 value and pots under 300k. This of course, is purely my preference for the tones and power I seek.

Hello bluezguy,

I appreciate your sharing your experimentation results with me. Since I have the P-90 equipped guitar now, I need a Les Paul Style guitar with straight humbuckers. Your response though does give me a direction should I need to improve the sound of the P-90s. I have a stock green board Fender Blues Jr. and am unhappy with the sound from almost everything except 57 classics. Part of it is my lack of knowledge in changing the settings for the sound I am going for. Usually this requires the volume to be too high to approach the sound. I assume the cap size is for the volume and tone???

I don't know if some form of pedal will help. I do want the sound of the guitar to come through.

If I change my mind and use a humbucker/P-94 hybrid, I am wondering about placement. I think (assume, hope) that to get the best out of a single 57 classic sound, that it should be in the neck position. And use the P-94T alone for the single coil sound. Together, I will get something unknow, maybe neat. So I guess I am still waffling on the Humb/Humb or the Hum/P-94 combination. I got the improve it till it don't work blues.

Thanks for your experienced knowledge and assistance.

glennc

Archived