Gibson Brands Forums

wrap around stop bar?

Trewblue

This looks like a standard stop bar set up like a wrap around. Is it? and is there any advantage to setting it up this way? Looks like it would lessen the angle of the strings coming up to the bridge.--good or bad? when the video starts, there's a good shot of the stop bar and bridge.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that Billy Gibbons just wraps his strings around the tailpiece too.

I think Duane Allman used to do it also.

Like Brian said, it's pretty much just about the players preference. I think it's more of a "feel" thing than a "tone" thing. I've never tried it because I haven't really been in a hurry to scratch up the tailpieces on my guitars, but some people do prefer it.

Yep! All the above! But I do believe it has some negligible effect on sustain and tone. Kinda like Gibson going from 17 degree to 14 degree headstock angles. Has to be something to it! I like to keep mine with a pretty good bridge to tailpiece angle. Not TOO steep but still pretty good incline. I figure the more pressure is exerted on the bridge and string saddles the more vibration HAS to be sent to the guitar body! I know a bunch of guys that don't believe the body of a solid body electric has anything to do with the sound. I say BULLSH*T! Has a BUNCH to do with it!

It's not that we don't think body variations have ANYTHING to do with tone, it's just that it is one factor out of several that are in play.

For instance amp, pickups, vol/tone controls, strings, intonation, fretboard etc.

And oh yeah - the player's talent.

Interesting responses here. I've only ever heard that it increases sustain, by winding the tailpiece hard down against the body.

Personally I don't notice a hell of a lot of difference, I just do it because it looks awesome. [biggrin][thumbup]

I've only ever heard that it increases sustain, by winding the tailpiece hard down against the body.

^This. It's not a HUGE difference, but I do notice it.

And if you DON'T over-wrap the tailpiece and you slam it all the way down, it increases the break angle of the stings, and unnecessarily stresses them. Since nobody likes a broken string, if you crank down the tailpiece it HAS to be over-wrapped.

• 10 months later...

I've had the pleasure to meet Zakk Wylde back stage, and I asked him about it. He said something along the lines of it allowing him to perform bends easier. I haven't tried it, cause my guitars are each equipped with a Bigsby, but if you look at the way those are stringed, then you'll see that it's sort of the same principal. He said one disadvantage is loss of sustain.

I top wrap all my chrome/nickel stop bars. I used used to do it on the gold ones, but the finish gets tarnished.

Advantages: less forward pressure on the bridge (some can eventually lean otherwise) and bends are a little easier. Peter Green/JImmy Page bending is a big part of my style. I do deep vibrato bends constantly, and only break one or two strings a year. Who knows about sustain, whatever difference either way is minimal.

Archived