Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio (Good start?)

Gary Moore Tribute

You're the only one who can answer that. Studios are great if you can live without the binding. If you feel you need binding, then pass.

By "red" do you mean a Studio Faded or Vintage Mahogany? Studios & Standards are on the same level, quality wise. The Studio Fadeds I've played felt a slight step down (I don't mean that in a bad way).

Its this one

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/gibson_les_paul_studio_wine_red_chrome_hardware.html

I have an eye on a few early 2000 models

But in regards to the question yes im a fan of the binding, my Custom looks especially nice (tho an epi copy of the $3k version)

So it probably would be best to save up, cheers for that :)

Its this one

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/gibson_les_paul_studio_wine_red_chrome_hardware.html

I have an eye on a few early 2000 models

But in regards to the question yes im a fan of the binding, my Custom looks especially nice (tho an epi copy of the $3k version)

So it probably would be best to save up, cheers for that :)

That one has a maple top and ceramic pickups. The Standards have fancier finishes and different pickups.

It's your money - do what makes you happy!

i bought my Studio brand new in 1995. I didn't buy another Les Paul until 2006. So yes, I think it is worth it. HOWEVER, if you really want a Standard, then save your money and get one. But if you're looking for a Standard, used ones can be had for <$1600.

The studio is totally worth it! They have the same body wood combo and pickups found in the Les Paul Custom and Supreme. All you're missing is the binding and different inlays.

close, but not completely true.

the body is thinner and the Custom is weight-relieved whereas (new) Studios are chambered. Depending on the model of the Studio, there might not be a maple cap and the pickups might be different.

Yes, but with mahogany, and maple, combined with the same pickups, the sound difference would be minimal. Not that I wouldn't desire a Les Paul Custom ( because I do!), it's just that one has to decide if the little differences are worth the $2500 difference in price, LOL.

maybe it's all in my head, but the maple cap can make a difference if only slight. but i do agree with you, and the law of diminishing returns certainly applies. But I also know from personal experience that you should buy what you truly want. settling for something else coast me a lot of money. [biggrin]

Archived