Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard tuning?

metalheart93

Hey I just recently purchased a Gibson Sg standard 2011, a brand new one and i'm having trouble keeping it in tune, it just won't stay in tune, which is a shame because I love everything else about it, the tone the look, how easy it is to play everything but I just wish I could get it to stop going out of tune.

I know when i bought my special faded the gibson britwires were lousy on it. The G string sounded louder than other strings and it bugged me but i adore the guitar. I changed the strings to D'addario http://store.daddario.com/category/145800/EXL115_BluesJazz_Rock_11-49 and instantly the sound sorted itself out.. Also changed gauge from 10's to 11's. I dont know why and i'm not gonna question why but just the change of strings balanced things out ..lol. I have recently put a set of chrome flatwounds on my telecaster and i'm tempted to try them on the sg too.

I know when i bought my special faded the gibson britwires were lousy on it. The G string sounded louder than other strings and it bugged me but i adore the guitar. I changed the strings to D'addario http://store.daddario.com/category/145800/EXL115_BluesJazz_Rock_11-49 and instantly the sound sorted itself out.. Also changed gauge from 10's to 11's. I dont know why and i'm not gonna question why but just the change of strings balanced things out ..lol. I have recently put a set of chrome flatwounds on my telecaster and i'm tempted to try them on the sg too.

hmmm yeah I think I might change the strings from britewires the guy did say they were like fishing line.

Welcome.

Tuning problems - three easy looks - 1) You've got the tuning pegs strung properly so the strings won't slip. 2) Check the nut: the string slot widths should be cut for the gauge strings you're using (gibson factory is 10s) to avoid the strings getting pinched/caught in the slots. 3) Another nut check: the string slots should be of even depth from one side to the other. If you see one or two slots that aren't cut as deep as the rest, that's a problem. (going from a bit higher on the bass side to a bit lower on the treble side in an even, graduated way is okay)

The other things to look at require a bit of knowledge/experience: properly set action, properly set intonation, neck straightness, neck relief, level frets.

T2) Check the nut: the string slot widths should be cut for the gauge strings you're using (gibson factory is 10s) to avoid the strings getting pinched/caught in the slots. 3) Another nut check: the string slots should be of even depth from one side to the other. If you see one or two slots that aren't cut as deep as the rest, that's a problem. (going from a bit higher on the bass side to a bit lower on the treble side in an even, graduated way is okay)

Biggest offenders I usually see, the nut is the first thing I would look at.

I almost always replace strings straightaway. You just never know if any issues are down to old strings otherwise. My SG Classic will hold tune for hours of play or days if not played unless there is a significant change in the weather. I always (well nearly always) check the tuning every time I pick it up and rarely need to make any significant adjustment.

mine wouldnt stay that good in tune at first, restrung it better. b4 i would just pick it up and check the tuning now I just play it first for a few because sometimes the strings would get a tad stuck in the nut, maybe because it was a new guitar. Now it stays in tune almost perfect every day! I think the guitar sounds better after its broken in maybe?

I had this problem with my SG Standard, I bought it used this is a 2000 model. First you take off the strings and you check if the 6 nuts and 12 screws are are well screwed. Install correctly new strings. The Gibson De Luxe tuners are great and light. Now my SG stay in tune perfectly.

I use Ernie Ball 10's and only have three or four wraps on the wound strings, one on top and two or three on bottom. Tighten them up enough to get some tension on them, (not to pitch) then pull up on them to take the slack out of the windings on the tuner. tune them up, if you cut the ends, (like I do) tune them up again. I have to tune up a lot the first day, then they stay pretty well in tune.

• 3 weeks later...

metalheart93, I dont know how experienced you are, but are you aware that new strings never keep the tuning unless the guitar is restringed the proper way? So first of all I would restring the guitar (.10 brite wires do a good job for me), I do love following vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

This helped me a lot, the technique of this guy is really simple... He advices to restring the guitar every 2 weeks [flapper] , but the REST is helpful [biggrin] . I dont use this lube BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '08 SG standard, and I play 2 or 3 hours a day bare in mind, I don't need to tune for weeks at a time if I didn't want to. Only when I am practicing with the band, i'll tune, before hand and i'll find that after a week it isn't even a quarter step out. Gibson Deluxes are such nice tuners. I just use earnie ball nickel, wound 10s. I do recommend using 10's though because gibson are factory set to 10's. If you got a good factory nut like me, than it will make your ugitar sound the best. If your nut isn't the best, just have a tech make you one. ;) Best of luck

• 1 month later...

Yeah I think I need to change the strings to super slinky's or summat,and also get someone to check the nut for me, thanks guys, u've been a great help.

i use d adderio light gauge on mine and it is fine

metalheart93, I dont know how experienced you are, but are you aware that new strings never keep the tuning unless the guitar is restringed the proper way? So first of all I would restring the guitar (.10 brite wires do a good job for me), I do love following vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

This helped me a lot, the technique of this guy is really simple... He advices to restring the guitar every 2 weeks [flapper] , but the REST is helpful [biggrin] . I dont use this lube BTW.

Excellent vid. [thumbup]

Archived