Gibson Brands Forums

Wingeing Brits??? -- well perhaps we've got cause!

Johnt

I moved this to here from another thread as I honestly feel that someone who may see thnis and who may work at Gibson should take heed of this type of situation here in the UK. It seems virtually impossible to buy a Gibson here!

Quote from the other thread from Albert john

What do you think about a trip to Guildford? I note you have recently undertaken a visit which was not authorised by the UK Branch Executive Committee. (BTW, volunteers please.)

Their website says they have only 3 12rs in stock so I'm not sure if it's worth a visit from that piont of view but if there's a decent boozer nearby, doing London Pride, I could be persuaded.

My reply

Have to say (IMHO of course) that Guildford was a waste of time. All new guitars no 12s to speak of and no Robert Johnson, as shown in stock on their website, which is why I went.

So I made a genuine enquiry last Friday for a new Robert Johnston in natural without the signature and various other things etc.

The guy said he would contact Gibson Europe, he phoned me last Friday night to tell me that he'd not had an email back from Gibson Europe and to date, you've guessed it nothing more!

Folk on this forum say if you want a custom then just tell the dealer what you need and they'll get a price from Montana.

IT DON'T APPLY IN THE UK!

PERIOD!!!!!

The only information that this Gibson dealer could tell me re a new Robert Johnston is that delivery would be between 1 and 3 months BUT if I wanted custom features it would be longer!

Mind you he did better than 2 other "dealers" with whom I have had contact in the last 2 weeks on same subject

DUHHHH! If I could find a brick wall I'd bang my head against it!

AJ let's stick to Denmark Street, at least we can FEEL what's up for sale!

How the hell do I know that I want an RJ for sure without plucking the darned thing!

Peace and love to all at Martin!

I might need you yet!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JT. I was about to post something very similar.

I think it's disgraceful that the likes of you and I cannot buy, let alone try, a remotely decent range of acoustics.

I understand the distribution agreement with Rosetti ended in March of this year but had been planned at least a year before that. I also understand that to be a Gibson dealer in UK you have to commit to approx £60k of stock and at least 60% of your stock has to be Gibson. Fender do something similar, so how does that work?

For 30 years I have hankered after a Gibson. Fortunately I now have 2. I really think that may be it for me and my hard earned £s will be gratefully received by Messrs Martin or Taylor. Surely your RJ or my 12r is not that special.

I really hope someone at Gibson takes note of this as the situation is quite ridiculous. You have potential customers and more importantly, advocates over here.

As Thermionik says " It's not rocket science!"

i find it ironic that brits (in the london area, no less - one of the largest populated areas in the world) feel absolutely ostracized by gibson. ironic because, from a north american perspective, we have seen, heard and loved all the music that britain has sent us since the beatles and in their arms, for the most part, were the iconic gibsons that made us want to play them in the first place. odd, very odd.

i shall ponder this further whilst playing the riff from 'sweet child 'o mine' on my '58 jimmy page les paul that i just bought on ebay for $595,000.

Well AJ

I was just wondering if I was being a really grumpy old man today and was coming back to edit my post

When

SHAZZAM

My mobile went off, it was the man from the Gibson dealer in Guildford who had news from "Rene" at Gibson Europe!

"I vill sy theese only wonce"

Delivery is 4 months for a standard RJ. At no time can they give me a better estimate.

If I want custom items then "it's longer"

NB Just for reference I went back to Always_Blacks post re his customer J-45. FRom waht he says do I reckon a 3 month delivery for a custom shop item!

I thinks so unless his financee kept the secret for longer than any lady ever can keep such a secret (( I can hear the assigai coming Karen, I am referring to a lady surpirsing the man she loves with a love token not keeping stumm on how much those shoes really cost.....DUCKS)

Back to the point

So if I stick 10% down (BTW in the UK an RJ is approx £1350 which is approx $2500!)

They use my money for 4 months then I get a guitar.

What I'd like to know from our friends in the US is

1)what would be my chances ( % estimate) of getting a RJ ex stock from a Gibson dealer in the US

2) If not in stock, what is the lead time on a standard RJ from Bozeman?

3) What is the US recommended retail price?

In fairness to the Uk dealer I saw last week, he did come back with the information from Rene at Gibson. So if he's locked to the forum I apologise!

I do know at least two shops where I can walk in hand over cash and exit with an 00 or an 000 martin.

Food for thought eh?

i find it ironic that brits (in the london area' date=' no less - one of the largest populated areas in the world) feel absolutely ostracized by gibson.

i shall ponder this further whilst playing the riff from 'sweet child 'o mine' on my '58 jimmy page les paul that i just bought on ebay for $595,000. [/quote']

Damn it !

It was YOU who outbid me

I am so P*ssed I am now taking the dogs out.

If I get fired for skivving of then it's your fault!

Lol

so sorry, JT. really, truly sorry 'bout your luck, though, pity. so much so, i was just singing your laments to the 5-star dealer across the street. actually, there's one on every corner here in every gas station and quikie mart. in fact, a custom order placed before 10am can be picked up by 6pm if you order from the shop inside the dry cleaners.

so sorry' date=' JT. really, truly sorry 'bout your luck, though, pity. so much so, i was just singing your laments to the 5-star dealer across the street. actually, there's one on every corner here in every gas station and quikie mart. in fact, a custom order placed before 10am can be picked up by 6pm if you order from the shop inside the dry cleaners. [/quote']

very good CH! anybody know when gibson will start showing up at best buy? the sales help should be interesting.

To my British Brothers,

Is it possible to place your custom order through a US dealer and have it shipped over?

And it goes both ways. I wanted to order a custom bicycle frame from a British builder. When I told him I wanted the graphics toned down, he refused to build it that way. So, I still ride off-the-rack Italian steel.

You are absolutely spot on mate. Gibson take no note of anything here in the UK - bearing in mind we pay much more for our acoustics than in the USA - and I mean more!!!!!!!!!!

Gibson dealers UK? - about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a response from the Gibby team.

You are absolutely spot on mate. Gibson take no note of anything here in the UK - bearing in mind we pay much more for our acoustics than in the USA - and I mean more!!!!!!!!!!

Gibson dealers UK? - about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a response from the Gibby team.

I fear you are correct about the response from Gibson. Perhaps we can shame them into doing so.

I fear you are correct about the response from Gibson. Perhaps we can shame them into doing so.

AJ /CB Been thinking a little more about this which is very dangerous at my age.

Concluded that it's an "acoustic thing".

When I was in the dealer in Surrey he had a wall full of Les Pauls in every hue and finish. Perhaps HE chooses to invest his £60K stock in electrics not acoustics?

Gearbasher I think you are spot on ' date=' I will order from Music Villa and pick up when in Bozeman next year use at the Homecoming and then get them to ship it here. Seems 100% ridiculous but thats porbably the most ecratin and quickest way of getting one!

BUT, sorry Gibson, I am off to try a few Martin, Lowdens and a few of the lesser known UK luthiers before sticking my money down with you.

It's a pity that instead of putting "pretty" twiddly bits on to "standard guitars" then calling them super turbo vintage specilist limited edition range. You can't give me a reliable devivery date on a stock guitar.

Oh BTW when I have my grumpy side out. I thank our US friends on the forum for their answers to my questions yesterday

[i']What I'd like to know from our friends in the US is

1)what would be my chances ( % estimate) of getting a RJ ex stock from a Gibson dealer in the US

2) If not in stock, what is the lead time on a standard RJ from Bozeman?

3) What is the US recommended retail price?[/i]

Any time I can repay the favor

2) If not in stock' date=' what is the lead time on a standard RJ from Bozeman?

3) What is the US recommended retail price?[/quote']

1) 100% -- I just took a quick look, and several authorized Web dealers (Guitarsale and FQMS, for starters) have 'em in stock

2) Depends on the timing of the order, but typically about six weeks

3) $2249 is the lowest price (about 30% off list) that an authorized dealer can advertise, but there's no rule that says you can't call and try to make a better deal

-- Bob R

1) 100% -- I just took a quick look' date=' and several authorized Web dealers (Guitarsale and FQMS, for starters) have 'em in stock

2) Depends on the timing of the order, but typically about six weeks

3) $2249 is the lowest price (about 30% off list) that an authorized dealer can advertise, but there's no rule that says you can't call and try to make a better deal

-- Bob R[/quote']

Thjanks Bob

Restored my faith, appreciated. I needed some info before trying to get in touch with Music Villa to see what we can do

Very interestingly (if thats a word) the price you indicate converts to £1230 which compared with the lowest price offered in Uk of £1350 ish, albeit for an "invisible" guitar, isn't quite as cheap as we perhaps thought!

Thanks a lot

BR

John

so sorry' date=' JT. really, truly sorry 'bout your luck, though, pity. so much so, i was just singing your laments to the 5-star dealer across the street. actually, there's one on every corner here in every gas station and quikie mart. in fact, a custom order placed before 10am can be picked up by 6pm if you order from the shop inside the dry cleaners. [/quote']

Yeah, Cunk, I feel your pain. When I went through the Gibson 5-Star drive-through window yesterday I had intended to just get a pint of Terminator Stout to take home with me but the guy at the window talked me into a new RJ Custom, natural top with no signature. God, I'm glad I had my Visa and my punchcard. I only have to buy two more Gibsons and then I get the next one free! Don't you just love the Colonies!!! ( exit singing.........I'm 'enery the 8th I am, 'enery the 8th I am, I am.............................)

Yeah' date=' Cunk, I feel your pain. When I went through the Gibson 5-Star drive-through window yesterday I had intended to just get a pint of Terminator Stout to take home with me but the guy at the window talked me into a new RJ Custom, natural top with no signature. God, I'm glad I had my Visa and my punchcard. I only have to buy two more Gibsons and then I get the next one free! Don't you just love the Colonies!!! ( exit singing.........I'm 'enery the 8th I am, 'enery the 8th I am, I am.............................)[/color']

My dear old chap why don't you foxtrot oscar to the taxidermist?

It is unkind to mock!

You are the opitome of the school boy who pulled the wings from flies!

May your G strings ever break and may your machine heads (which for some Godforsaken reason you call tuners") weld into one.

Next June when the spirit of Gibson induced camaradrie pervades the plains of Montana you are due for a knuckle sandwich!

And that hanger on cunkhead needed think he's got away with it either.

Apart from also getting a smack, he is likely to be sued by Gibson for insinuating that something less than prime stock EVER leaves Bozeman.

I mean and I quote

very funny, TW, indeed, but the laughter would turn to terror and tea parties if the brits found out that all the blems, failed prototypes and seconds with finish issues get sent over there as new product. but let's keep it between us.

Why does he imagine that the US would tell the Canadians if it were true?

Which I am sure it isn't..

Simply becuase ROCK ALL gets sent over, good bad or indifferent.

The Lowden is looking better and better AND I can get my own signature on the bottom frets not some fella called Raymond Johnston.

Love, Peace and happiness abound.

Where's that Scotch bottle??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!! great band name! this is cop jargon for F.O.! still its Les pauls (one nashville' date=' one jap copy) on mainstreet bozeman at dawn in june![/quote']

NO NO NO!

Not Les pauls!

You'll just hit the first chord from your "Slash's greatest guitar lick" book <<<<---deliberately singular

and I will run, hands over ears, with such velocity that I will pass gearbasher at speed before crashing in to jannus guy's deck in Florida!

How about banjos?

Johnt wrote:My dear old chap why don't you foxtrot oscar to the taxidermist?

Now that's the Johnt I know!! As verbal blows go, I'd say that was very close to a kidney punch. Good one, old boy! I'm hoping you realize the intercontinental reparte' for what it is, good old fashioned fun!! I'm going to try my best to get into your good graces before the future knuckle sandwhich incident takes place. I'm going into training immediately( where did I store those old 8 oz. Everlasts?) Best to the misses and the pooches and good fortune to you as well!! ( How's that? Good start?) If I win the lottery tomorrow I'm sending you a Robin Jensen of your choice. Also, Cunkhead started it, those instigating, hockey playing, mossejawed buggers!! ( Sorry, Cunk, at the risk of a knuckle sandwich, I'm throwing you in front of the bus! lol)

I wished I'd never mentioned the dealer in Guildford and I've still not found an HB i want to take home, perhaps my wish for a Gibson will not be realised this thread has depressed me the UK sucks at selling guitars. Would'nt it be nice to compare all my options in one shop and leave happy without any doubt knowing I'd made the right decision.

Archived