Gibson Brands Forums

PRS CUSTOM 24 and GIBSON LP CUSTOM

GUIBH

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if some of you know this guitar well enough to point the main qualities and "flaws" of each one. I know they are both great guitars and I know they are different and can't be compared.

I've never had a PRS CUSTOM, but I think it sounds great (very versatile) and it is lighter than a LP. It's shape may offer a better access to the lower frets also.

What do you think about these guitars?

I know this is a bad question (specially at a Gibson forum), but which one would you buy?

G.

Since you're asking this on a Gibson forum, most people will say they'd buy the Gibson. I have both and both are excellent guitars...but completely different. I'm bias - Les Pauls are my favourite guitars but PRS Customs aren't that far behind. Looks and tone aside since those are both subjective - the benefit of a CU24 is it'll certainly be lighter, the quality & workmanship if the guitar will be outstanding, optional solid rosewood neck (I think), it's way more versatile, upper fret access, some newer ones have great PAF type pickups. The benefit of a Les Paul is it's a Les Paul - that's all one needs to say about them. Les Pauls have a few design flaws (weak headstock/neck area, sometimes unbalanced & heavy, upper frets for some people, sometimes fit & finish) but I can't think of any design flaws with the PRS...other than some people thinking the guitars have no soul. I don't see the Les Paul flaws as flaws, though. They're perfect as far as I'm concerned. [biggrin]

Have you played both? If not, that's where you should start. I'm sure your local Guitar Center will have both guitars that you could try side-by-side.

Both fine guitars. I've played quite a few PRS specimens, but never owned one. Everytime I pick one up I say to myself, "I've gotta get a PRS in my stable." Never pulled the trigger.

To echo what R9 said, the playability and quality of PRS guitars is top notch. The playablity, quality (and mojo) of the Gibson LPC is well known. You can't go wrong with either choice.

The opinion that matters is yours. So get out to some shops and play some, then make your decision.

OK, I have guitars from both PRS and Gibson, so let's do a liitle comparison.

First off, it's not a good comparison to do a Custom 24 and a Les Paul for several reasons. The PRS will obviously have better access to the upper frets, will be much lighter, and has a different scale length. To do an 'apples to apples' comparison, you need to go PRS SC-245 to a Les Paul. Same singlecut style, same scale length.

Criteria 1 - Price

You can get a 25th Anniversary SC-245, with a '10' Top, for under $3000. To get a Les Paul with similar appointments and exclusivity will run you at least $4000, and easily way more than that. A Private Stock PRS, extremely exclusive, will still cost less than a Billy Gibbons or Jimmy Page Les Paul.

Criterion 2 - Quality

Every manufacturer will have quality issues from time to time. That being said, PRS has far less issues than Gibson. A good deal of this is simply due to the size of the companies, and their production numbers. Gibson builds many times the number of guitars that PRS does, thus less time is afforded to each instrument. A fairer comparison would be Gibsons Custom Shop vs. PRS, but then the cost of the Gibson takes a further leap over PRS. PRS is renowned for their consistency and quality, and it's well deserved.

Criteria 3 - Sound

Gibson and Fender set the standards for guitar tone 50 years ago, the rest are still trying to top them. This is so subjective that it boils down to personal preference. I've found the PRS's to be more consistent from guitar to guitar, and the 57/08 pickups are outstanding. But a good set of PAF's are still the gold standard. Too bad the Burstbuckers have become kind of sterile sounding.

Criteria 4 - Playability

Beauty us in the eye of the beholder here. I love the smooth ease of my PRS, but a good Lester is a joy unto itself.

And finally, the most subjective of them all - Beauty.

Gibson does some beautiful work with their finishes, very classy. But the finishes that PRS does are absolutely stunning! My PRS McCarty has a quilt top finish that is easily the prettiest I've seen anywhere. Some people find PRS finishes to be 'too pretty'. Not me!

So which is my preference? I love 'em both, of course! I feel that PRS's are generally the better value for your money, so why can I not get that Pearly Gates Lester out of my head??

Yeah I agree with everything stated here. It's like choosing your best kid from your offspring. They are both great guitars in their own right. I've spent 6 months playing my Custom 24 now and I've got a lot to say about it. I'll post it in the Lounge soon...

I've never owned a PRS, but I've been wondering... does one end up replacing the pots and caps and

jackplates, and tailpieces and bridges on PRS guitars too, or are they of better quality than the

Gibson stuff?

Some people do, theres always better after market stuff out there.

But is it really needed like it is to change pots and jazz on a Gibson...no.

I have seen people switch the PRS pups out alot.

PRS electronics are pretty good. The newer US made ones come with PIO caps and (I believe) CTS pots. Some people replace the bridge for one with independent string adjustment but I don't have intonation issues on any of mine. A lot of PRS owners swap out their pickups for 57/08s or 59/09s. The only thing with these is you either buy them used or your have to send the guitar to PRS in Maryland for the install. I think the pickups that get the most complaints are Dragon II pickups but the ones in my Custom 22 sound great (maybe it's the rosewood neck?).

(Here's my life story) I have a 2004 Private Stock and they used ceramic disc caps back then (on a frick'n Private Stock!!). I wanted a PIO cap in there; so, I put in a 0.015 Jensen PIO. After a while, I thought I'd try a 0.022 Luxe Bumblebee. I put the Bee in and the guitar went dead. I put the Jensen back in and still - dead. I didn't have the soldering iron on there for very long but I must have somehow fried the pot. I took the guitar to a good local tech who was baffled by it. So, I had them replace everything in the cavity with a newer McCarty switching system. Even when the old pots were out of the guitar, she still couldn't figure out what was wrong with them...strange. My other PRS guitars are perfect stock. I wouldn't change anything on them.

rocket, are you thinking of putting a 3-way toggle in your guitar? Heck, I'd leave it. Spots 2 & 4 on the dial are great and you don't get them with the 3-way. Maybe consider buying another PRS? [biggrin]

PRS guitars are Great guitars, beautiful woods and finishes, though I don't care for the "headstock"

design...but, that's a personal thing. For me, though...they're too "purty," and make me feel like

even more of a "poser," than some of my nicer guitars do, already...AKA "I'm not worthy!" ;>b LOL

Edit: I've never played, much less owned, a Les Paul, of any model, that made me feel like that!

So...???

CB

rocket, are you thinking of putting a 3-way toggle in your guitar? Heck, I'd leave it. Spots 2 & 4 on the dial are great and you don't get them with the 3-way. Maybe consider buying another PRS?

Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a PRS Hollowbody II.

OK, I have guitars from both PRS and Gibson, so let's do a liitle comparison.

First off, it's not a good comparison to do a Custom 24 and a Les Paul for several reasons. The PRS will obviously have better access to the upper frets, will be much lighter, and has a different scale length. To do an 'apples to apples' comparison, you need to go PRS SC-245 to a Les Paul. Same singlecut style, same scale length.

Criteria 1 - Price

You can get a 25th Anniversary SC-245, with a '10' Top, for under $3000. To get a Les Paul with similar appointments and exclusivity will run you at least $4000, and easily way more than that. A Private Stock PRS, extremely exclusive, will still cost less than a Billy Gibbons or Jimmy Page Les Paul.

Criterion 2 - Quality

Every manufacturer will have quality issues from time to time. That being said, PRS has far less issues than Gibson. A good deal of this is simply due to the size of the companies, and their production numbers. Gibson builds many times the number of guitars that PRS does, thus less time is afforded to each instrument. A fairer comparison would be Gibsons Custom Shop vs. PRS, but then the cost of the Gibson takes a further leap over PRS. PRS is renowned for their consistency and quality, and it's well deserved.

Criteria 3 - Sound

Gibson and Fender set the standards for guitar tone 50 years ago, the rest are still trying to top them. This is so subjective that it boils down to personal preference. I've found the PRS's to be more consistent from guitar to guitar, and the 57/08 pickups are outstanding. But a good set of PAF's are still the gold standard. Too bad the Burstbuckers have become kind of sterile sounding.

Criteria 4 - Playability

Beauty us in the eye of the beholder here. I love the smooth ease of my PRS, but a good Lester is a joy unto itself.

And finally, the most subjective of them all - Beauty.

Gibson does some beautiful work with their finishes, very classy. But the finishes that PRS does are absolutely stunning! My PRS McCarty has a quilt top finish that is easily the prettiest I've seen anywhere. Some people find PRS finishes to be 'too pretty'. Not me!

So which is my preference? I love 'em both, of course! I feel that PRS's are generally the better value for your money, so why can I not get that Pearly Gates Lester out of my head??

Great analyze! Very informative.

Thanks Doc.

To be honest, these posts are the first I've seen questioning the caps in older PRS guitars. I haven't changed ANY electronics or hardware on ANY of my PRS's, including the Korean made SE models I used to have. The pickups do seem to be the most frequently changed item, but they hit it out of the park with the 57/08 and 59/09 models. The 57/08's are the first humbucker that I've actually liked when run with the coils split.

As for the 'too pretty' thing, they are built to be played, not displayed. Mine are used regularly, in all situations. Just like all my guitars.

I think they get depressed if not played regularly.

Yes, I am a little weird.

• 4 months later...

Interesting info.

I love my 60s neck Gibson LP Studio! I started off with a squier SSS strat. Even though I am a hobbyist (spend a few hours a week on a guitar at my apartment), I was thinking about possibly capitalizing on a musician's friend 15% off and 1 year no interest financing for a new and last guitar purchase. I was leaning towards a PRS Custom 24, because of the quality, looks. SE custom 24 is an option too, but was thinking might be worth upgrading to the fancier version.

So, for those that own both, how do the necks of a 60s style neck les paul compare with the PRS custom 24 regular and thin necks, width, thickness wise?

The local guitar shops don't carry any PRS guitars, and the nearest dealer is several hours away, is the reason I am asking.

Also, how versatile are the 59/09 pickups style wise?

Other than quality, is the upgrade from the SE custom 24 worth it?

Thanks!

Interesting info.

I love my 60s neck Gibson LP Studio! I started off with a squier SSS strat. Even though I am a hobbyist (spend a few hours a week on a guitar at my apartment), I was thinking about possibly capitalizing on a musician's friend 15% off and 1 year no interest financing for a new and last guitar purchase. I was leaning towards a PRS Custom 24, because of the quality, looks. SE custom 24 is an option too, but was thinking might be worth upgrading to the fancier version.

So, for those that own both, how do the necks of a 60s style neck les paul compare with the PRS custom 24 regular and thin necks, width, thickness wise?

The local guitar shops don't carry any PRS guitars, and the nearest dealer is several hours away, is the reason I am asking.

Also, how versatile are the 59/09 pickups style wise?

Other than quality, is the upgrade from the SE custom 24 worth it?

Thanks!

The upgrade from SE to CU24 or CU22 is dramatic. Better wood, hardware, finish and, most importantly, tone. I have two main guitars, an older PRS CU24 and an '02 LP Standard; both have their place and for the music I play, they do not interchange. I have Les Paul songs where I believe the PRS fails to make the grade and I have songs where the LP just doesn't have the right tone.

As for general feel; the PRS is definitely easier to play. The fretboard's radius is very comfortable in my estimation and really makes it easier for me to utilize left-hand techniques. I think the Les Paul has the '60's neck (not sure here) and provides a very distinct tone but the fretboard is flatter and string spacing is closer.

Both guitars have excellent finishes and both maple tops are very nice. I had to replace the pots on the Les Paul as the originals had values of around 330k and the volume pot on the neck pickup failed within two weeks of purchase. I replaced the bridge pickup in the Les Paul with a DiMarzio Super Distortion mostly due to my tastes - I think the original burstbucker was not a bad pickup. I have performed zero work on the electronics of the PRS outside of the occasional pot cleaning and this is on a guitar that is and has been gigged consistently since 1997.

The PRS is very nice; I picked mine up in '97, but still felt the need to drop the money on the Les Paul.

There's just something about owning a Gibson that's fun.

I love my Les Paul. Everything about it is great - the

neck, the tone, the look. I like the heritage of it as

well and knowing so many great players from: Clapton to

Page to Beck to Slash have played one. (OK, three of them

switched to Strats, but who cares).

I guess it all depends on feeling you're after too.

Archived