Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Trouble...

TripolarTX

I had the same issue and my guitar tech had two solutions. One was a wide suede bottom strap, which did the job. He also mentioned he used one of the ankle weights that women use for workouts. you simply wrap it

on the lower end of the strap. They usually have some sort of velcro closure. He said it worked for him on another neck heavy guitar.

Tri,

The solution I found for my former neck-diving G400 was to replace the full-size, stock Grover machines with Kluson vintage-style tuners. It's NOT a straight swap, because your have to fill the old screw holes (using round toothpicks. See DIY Lounge) and drill new ones. You'll need the "bolt" version NOT the "press-in". The Grovers are a great tuner, but they are HEAVY. I swapped out mine for the vintage look, but was very surprised to find that it corrected the neck-diving. I picked up 2 sets of TonePro-Klusons from an online vendor. One set for the SG400, the other for my '56 Goldtop. Couldn't be happier.

--heretic

Another very simple thing to do is to tape a counterweight to the inside of the control cavity cover. This has worked out perfectly for my Vintage G-400.

dscf1426.th.jpg

dscf1428.th.jpg

Hey, I like that & wouldn't mind trying it on my g-400! What are those weights under the tape & how much do they weigh? Thanks in advance

Thanks a million for all the suggestions! I've purchased new tuner-heads (it was time for the old Grovers to go anyway, the tuning problems I'm having are ridiculous) and i'll get back to you and let you know if that works. If not, the counterweight idea seems fantastic! Great ideas! Again, thanks.

Hey, I like that & wouldn't mind trying it on my g-400! What are those weights under the tape & how much do they weigh? Thanks in advance

To be honest, I've never removed the tape to find out! I picked her up used and the previous owner had set things up like that. The tape is heavy duty plastic and everything is pretty well balanced out so I haven't messed with it. When I get a chance, I'll bring her in to my office and weigh everything out properly.

Archived