Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups in Les Paul Studio Faded

Killing Is Heroism

I've been shopping around for used Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded guitars, and I've run into an obstacle. I've tried one with the 490R and 498T, and it didn't sound as well as the one with the Burstbucker Pros. My question is, what pickups did they put in the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 models that are in Cherry and Brown finishes? I want to avoid the 498T and 490R pickups. They are still amazing pickups, but if I'm going to sell my Epiphone Les Paul Standard with the JB and Jazz pickups I feel like I'm downgrading. That Gibson is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played, I gotta say.

The 2009 are BB Pro`s (stock) and I believe all years of the Worn Brown / Cherry are ! I also believe the original VM version used BB Pros, so surprised that you have found some with 490`s.

What made you think they were 490`s? There were a lot of web sites with the wrong spec advertised, but from what Gibson said and other posts (people have taken them out to check), they are all BB Pro`s.

The 2009 are BB Pro`s (stock) and I believe all years of the Worn Brown / Cherry are ! I also believe the original VM version used BB Pros, so surprised that you have found some with 490`s.

What made you think they were 490`s? There were a lot of web sites with the wrong spec advertised, but from what Gibson said and other posts (people have taken them out to check), they are all BB Pro`s.

I've looked around Ebay and local sellers on Craigslist and they all said they had the 498T and 490R except for the 2009 and 2010 models, but one 2007 said it had the BB's which really threw me off. So are you sure you're correct when you say the websites post false specs?

I've looked around Ebay and local sellers on Craigslist and they all said they had the 498T and 490R except for the 2009 and 2010 models, but one 2007 said it had the BB's which really threw me off. So are you sure you're correct when you say the websites post false specs?

I know sites do, as the shop I purchased my Studio (Nov 2009) had it on their web site as having 490`s and only changed it after I highlighted the error.

Regarding, do all have BB Pro`s? I think so based on information posted by users on sites such as this, but I only asked Gibson for absolute confirmation on my 08/09 version. If you search posts for "vintage mahogany" & "Studio Worn" you should be able to find several talking about BB Pro`s.

As most maple top Studio LP`s come with 490`s, I think many resellers make the assumption or Gibson made errors when sending out the original spec. My dealer even had it advertised as having a maple top!

At the end of the day, if you try first, you can`t go wrong.

If I were you I'd buy the Studio, swap the SDs into it and sell the Epi with the 490/498. You'd still get a good price on the Epi.

I actually find the 490 very similar to a BB1, and prefer the 498 to the BB2. I was disappointed that the BB Bridge version is only fractionally hotter than the neck, so it seems a little underpowered to me. The 498 has more bite.

If I were you I'd buy the Studio, swap the SDs into it and sell the Epi with the 490/498. You'd still get a good price on the Epi.

I actually find the 490 very similar to a BB1, and prefer the 498 to the BB2. I was disappointed that the BB Bridge version is only fractionally hotter than the neck, so it seems a little underpowered to me. The 498 has more bite.

I'll have to try that...I do love the SDs..I think next time I hit a guitar center or something I'm going to put batteries in my pedal and try my guitar vs. the Gibson w/ BB Pros and listen for a difference. I remember the BBs had a lot of twang, yet they had a warm tone to them at the same time...hmmm...I personally just love the feel of a Gibson 50s neck that's unfinished..dang it's totally comfortable and fast, along with the rosewood fingerboard since mine's ebony and I think it's a bit sticky

The Gibson site indicates most Studio LP's have the 490-498 pup combo, particularly GC exclusives. On further study it would appear that Burstbuckers are fairly rare on the Studios. Keep in mind that the Gibson site still lists the 50's Tribute Studio, but makes no mention of the 60's Tribute, so not ALL official info can be trusted. So far my favorite pups on an LP are the Seymour Duncan Alnico 2's on the Slash signature models. Note clarity and definition are outstanding, even at high gain settings. Lowering the volume knob brings out a P-90ish snarl, followed by a very nice clean tone with very little loss of highs (certainly helped by the Orange Drop caps). A new set of these pups turned my friends blah-sounding Epi LP Plaintop into a monster!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Studio worn Cherry in 2009... Comes with 490 and 498.... Its seems all a bit mixed up as other same models around this time had BB's

I bought a LP Studio Faded Brown from April 2009. and it has Burstbucker Pro's. It's odd that you have 490 and 489 in your guitar...As much as I know, they didn't put them in LP Studios Faded in 2009.

Archived