Gibson Brands Forums

EJ 200 artist saddle

Rafy

I bought a used EJ200 artist for a mere $120, but the saddle has "v"'s for slots and I need a new one. Took 3 out of my other dreadnoughts and all are too small so I need to find a compensated nut that fits. I was going to buy a blank, but my luthier suggested otherwise, but where I'm at, I can't find lots of parts for acoustics.

Can somebody give me info about size or links to order one?

thanks

Rafy

post-30008-024726100 1295812956_thumb.jpg

Stewmac stock them with a compensated B string

Tuq Saddles for Gibson Acoustics

Item number 3558

I checked the dimensions of my EJ200CE saddle and it seems to match.

You can double check dimensions here

Graphtec website (Saddle Sizing)

One thing I've noticed from various posts on a number of boards is that the EJ200's don't seem to like bone saddles (loss of bottom end seems to be a common complaint) whereas Tusq ones seem to get the thumbs up.

Oh - and welcome to the forum [thumbup]

What is it with people who join the board to ask a question, get a response and don't have the common decency to even acknowledge the responder?

Last time I bother! [thumbdn]

Odd that a luthier would suggest not purchasing a blank. Possibly the luthier wanted to do the install. Shaping a blank can be a bit of an art. The Luthier might have been doing your a favor by suggesting you not try it on your own.

btw, the "V" grooves are a definite sign the last guitar tech is a nitwit.

The saddle should fit snug, but not overly tight, into the bridge. If you can almost pick up the guitar by grasping just the saddle, the fit is about right. If this saddle fits, put a micrometer on it or calipers and measure it's thickness. Purchase a new saddle blank to match. Stew-Mac sells pre-compensated saddles. If you need to bring the height of the saddle down, sand the BOTTOM of the saddle, don't whittle the top where the strings touch it.

If you want to do the work yourself, visit frets.com and read up on the subject.

Most times when a saddle is mangled in this fashion, the action is high and the nitwit on the other end of the file cut the notches to bring the action down.

This is the absolute wrong way to do it.

Further, the depth of the grooves, suggest to me that there may be something else amiss with this guitar, causing the action to be sky high.

Again, visit frets.com and read up on the subject.

Archived