Gibson Brands Forums

`not for re-sale` on back of headstock???

nosbig

Hi,

Anyone know why a 1991 lester would have `not for re-sale` stamped on the back of the headstock?

Cheers,

Terry

I remember reading about this back years ago that Gibson use to stamp them if they were seconds and the employees could pick through them. They usually had something that didn't pass quality control like a finish flaw or were a Prototype model. Gibson didn't want to sell them to the public as a new item.

I remember reading about this back years ago that Gibson use to stamp them if they were seconds and the employees could pick through them. They usually had something that didn't pass quality control like a finish flaw or were a Prototype model. Gibson didn't want to sell them to the public as a new item.

Sounds plausible. [thumbup]

This.

P.

I've seen the word "Second" stamped into headstocks on units available to the public.

This was many years back, but nothing recently. I've also seen the number "2" stamped over the serial number.

Like roadhog96 said, these were products with some minor flaw that wouldn't affect playability.

"Not for re-sale" sounds like an internal Gibson thing. Possibly a prototype, or maybe something that was available to their business partners for personal purchase, but not retail sale for warranty reasons.

Here's what Gibson CEO Henry J. said in July 2010 in post #13 of this thread:

http://4henry.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/3-welcome-to-talk-to-henry-j-ceo-of-gibson/

"There a several reasons for a not for resale guitar, but none of them involve the guitar in any way being a bad guitar. We destroy instruments that do not meet our high standards. Typically, a not for resale guitar does not have a factory warranty. That should not impact its resale value. A great guitar is a great guitar, and if you have a nice one, it should hold it value and even appreciate in value."

More info:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

"PegHead Markings other than Serial Numbers ("seconds")

Gibson often marked inferior quality guitars as "seconds", and sold them at a discount to dealers or employees. These markings were stamped into the wood on the back of the peghead. A "2" stamp is sometimes seen, designating a "second", which had some cosmetic flaw. If there is a serial number on the back of the peghead, the "2" is usually seen centered above or below it. Also sometimes stamped was "CULL", which is another designation of a second. Again, this stamp is seen on the back of the peghead. The worse Gibson reject is the "BGN" stamp, designating that instrument as a "bargin" guitar. These were only sold to employees at substantial discounts. This stamp is also seen on the back of the peghead. Sometimes the "BGN" is stamped vertically with the "N" below the "G" which is below the "B". BGN instruments weren't acceptable to Gibson as sellable to the public.

All second instruments are usually worth less than the same guitar that is not a second (given condition as the same). BGN instruments are worth less than a second instrument because these tend to have some fairly serious cosmetic flaw."

I've seen 'seconds' that sell for the same money as non-seconds. It depends on the year, model, condition, etc. A friend of mine has a 70's LP Standard that's a second, it's only flaw is that the (i) in 'Gibson' did not get dotted! I have a '61 American Vintage Strat that has crooked marker dots at the 12th fret, a flaw that snuck by Fender QC, the dealers tech check, and my own (usually thorough) inspection! My wife, who thinks a guitar is just a guitar, was the one who spotted it! Fender offered to replace the neck for me, but I declined. It simply plays too nice to mess with!

Archived