Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson lawsuit - prohibited woods

Acousticologist

Talking with local retailers, it seems that there have been issues with Gibson guitars using prohibited materials.. And are going to switch over to sustainable woods.

I've heard it was madagascan wood, certain ebony and rosewood.

An ideas which models were being investigated?

Does this mean that Gibson will change the materials used in classic models?

Yeah, old news around here. Gibson got raided 2009 and the Feds siezed guitars, wood, computers, etc. I don't think they're going after guitars that have been sold, but we'll see.

- http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2009/11/17/gibson_guitars_raided_by_fbi

- http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2009/11/17/gibson-guitars-raided-by-fbi-feds-for-illegal-importation-of-rosewood-updated

I'm not sure it's been settled yet.

Finished guit tars in private hands can still be a problem. I've heard some musicians have been detained by customs officials (not sure whose) for having violin bows made of protected woods. As such those with vintage / pre ban instruments, owners have to bring documentation that said instrument was made prior to any such ban. So... if you plan to travel abroad with a guit tar made of protect species of wood.... [crying]

Should bring the value of vintage and pre-ban Gibsons up...in my opinion! After all, that is the appeal of vintage to me...Great old timber. Seasoned like a fine recipe.

I can,t for the life of me, figure out why great hardwood is endangered. Nothing seems to be made of it anymore...

Rrod

George Gruhn wrote what I believe to be a fair and objective analysis of the current situation (The Lacey Act, etc.) in Vintage Guitar Magazine. Couldn't locate the link.

Good link! I also think that the old wood is what makes the sound of a guitar, but I am sure that Gibson can find good wood out there...

... I'm not sure it's been settled yet.

It hasn't been. About a month ago, Gibson went to court to get the seized wood back, and the F&WS successfully blocked that by testifying indictments under the Lacey Act for possession of illegally harvested Madagascar ebony were still planned. Here's a link: Nashville Post article of 29 Dec 2010

Nothing seems to have happened since then.

-- Bob R

Archived