Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl Crow

Blueboy

I just found that on google image search this morning. The original is freakishly large and I had to downsize it a lot to make it reasonable to post. Here's the link to the original:

www.allhitsfm.com/SHERYL_CROW_2.jpg

Heck, if you've got access to a plotter it would make a bodacious poster!

And here's one to make you sleep a little better..... or not.

Sheryl_Crow_Biography.jpg

Ain't a fan and if ya wonder why just give a listen to her cover of D'yer Mak'er. That could scare even the most die hard fan off.

One of the funniest boot recordings I have stumbled across has Ms. Crow attempting to sing Bo's "Who Do You Love" at an informal session. We ain't talkin opera here and everyone does just fine. But Sheryl, about the best comparison I can come up with is one of those tone deaf guys you hear on Karaoke night. I am guessing her sound people are worth every dime she pays them.

But, I gotta admit, she is hot.

I'm not a fan of her music. There was a concert televised on PBS about a year ago and I couldn't endure much of it. I don't think it's her voice, because anyone can hit a sour note. It's not so much the music itself, although I find it pretty boring.

I dunno. It's like, the first time I hear one of her songs I get the feeling I've heard it before but can't place where. After about the 10th time I hear it on the radio I get the feeling if I had to sing that song night after night I would have a very difficult time putting any emotion into it, as it would be forced and artificial.

I know what I'm trying to say, I just can't translate it into words as usual.

A good singer can convey emotion without sounding phony. Joe Cocker could sing a recipe for peanut butter fudge and I'd believe every word. Sheryl just isn't as believeable. Jewell is the same way; she'll choke back tears in a song and the first time you believe it, then about the 4th time you see her choke back tears at the very same line in the song it loses all credibility.... it's all scripted at that point.

Such is the dynamic of recorded music I guess. If Sheryl just jammed on the front porch with mere mortals I'm sure I'd have a completely different view.

And she's a comely lass.

ksd - we ought to start pasting your observations into a single place where all can read them anytime. You absolutely hit the nail on the head again. Polished performance but no cojones, no spirit, no soul. Hey - that sums up a lot of what I am hearing on the airwaves these days.

Still love those finned wheels too - just looking fowards to your next avatar.....

love the tag line TW! very funny!

Be even funnier if it wasn't so true!

We suffer together TW, in a back slapping sort of way of course!

Make my next guitar a customer SJ200 SUMO.

Can hide behind that!

I saw Sheryl live at Hyde Park a couple of months ago' date=' and her whole band played Crow signature Gibsons all night for any acoustic work...apart from one of her guitarists who played a '50s/'60s J50.[/quote']

I was there too.

It seems she's getting a bit of a kicking here.

I'm no fan but I thought the set was tight, polished, well delivered and they were clearly enjoying it. Couldn't really ask for much more and I really enjoyed it.

I'd prefer to listen to her than most of the rubbish the music industry hijackers churn out these days.

Or a corn cob soaked in a bucket of water.

Oh wait, that corn cob could be made into fuel for the tour bus!

Maybe Lance didn't like the racing stripe she made him wear.

The only skid marks he wanted to make were with his bike.

"If I wanted sticky buns, I'd go to the food court at the mall!"

*sigh* I need coffee.

Maybe Martin is making her a sinature model too. They made one for Nancy Wilson and she's been playing Takamine's for years' date=' and on stage she still does.

Being that we all understand that different guitars have different sounds, It would seem kind of silly to expect any serious artist to only play their signature model and nothing else.

Personaly, I think the whole Signature Model thing is a little silly. I'm sure they are all nice guitars but it just seems like it's the latest sales gimmick to me.[/quote']

Thread Hijack!

I agree.....I mean Pete Townshend played and wrote virtually everything for The Who on a J200. Sure, make him his own signature guitar, but because an artist is seen playing a type once or twice......regardless of how good they are shouldn't immediately get a signature one.

Clapton got a signature acoustic Martin, but he plays it exclusively.

Paul McCartney's Texan....sure give him a signature edition.....he still plays the thing in concerts!

And Martin seems to be the manufacturer most guilty of this, everybody but me has a signature Martin. Note to self, call Martin this afternoon.....

Arlo Guthrie has both Gibson and Martin signature editions. Frankly I liked Woody a lot better.

Another thing is a lot of artists have several Martin signature editions............??????????????

What's the point?

Buddy Guy has one...... I've seen Buddy play acoustic several times, and it was always with a SJ200.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd has a Martin sig. edition, but on his 10 days out DVD he's spends as much time playing an old vintage Gibson.

Tom Petty uses Martins on stage and in the studio, but virtually all of his writing was done on an old dove, and now it's on primarily a Hummingbird and an SJ 200.

Roger McGuinn has a 7 string edition. Come one man! Guitars have 6 strings! 12 strings for variety, but they're not 12 different strings. What do you do with another string? Once you can play everything in the world on 6 strings, and get board, then you can add another string.

And that's just acoustics. I won't even get into the electric world......Needless to say Ashlee Simpson has a signature Gibson........I'm not great, but I bet I can out play the guy who guitar syncs for her!

Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Zakk Wylde, B.B. King...... absolutely they get their own model.

Barry Cunningham (A Neil Diamond IMPERSONATOR!)............... NO!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing personal against the guy. I bet he's great, and I like Neil Diamond but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that i've stopped laughing long enough to type....

i wonder if these real 'stars' who play the icons we all know and love ever visit the forum as a 'guest' and read this stuff. if sheryl does, for the record, i'd just like to say that toilet paper or not - i'd still hold her hand. (even if it was unwashed)

now that i've stopped laughing long enough to type....

i wonder if these real 'stars' who play the icons we all know and love ever visit the forum as a 'guest' and read this stuff. if sheryl does' date=' for the record, i'd just like to say that toilet paper or not - i'd still hold her hand. (even if it was unwashed)[/quote']

Cunk-Shame on you for promoting poor personal hygiene! I mean, I can certainly see belly crawling naked over 2 miles of broken glass just to hear her fart over a field telephone but your suggestion is simply uncouth at best!! Now get your moose in a row and straighten up! That's all I'm talkin' aboot.<<<<<Or is it aboat?

Cunk-Shame on you for promoting poor personal hygiene! I mean' date=' I can certainly see belly crawling naked over 2 miles of broken glass just to hear her fart over a field telephone but your suggestion is simply uncouth at best!! Now get your moose in a row and straighten up! That's all I'm talkin' aboot.<<<<<Or is it aboat?[/quote']

ha! i know you're kidding but i might actually consider it. (is she reading?)#-o

Archived