Gibson Brands Forums

String chooseing

EvoRider

I will be replacing my strings soon and would like some advice on what i need. A long time ago i used ghs bass boomers but i cant remember what gauge. Most of the music i play is AC\DC or other rock and metal. And i am playing a epip thunderbird goth. I do like the strings on it but was looking for something with a little more bottom. I am also useing an old peavey tnt 130 amp. Any ideas?

Firstly, welcome to the forum TNTROY. Always good to have another bass slinger on-board.

Suggest you introduce yourself in the Lounge also. Loads of good stuff goes on there!

I've got D'addario 45-105s on 'The Weirdbird' & they sound great through my smaller Peavey amp, but I know a lot of people here (including me in years gone by) swear by Rotosounds.

Cheers,

I string all my basses with Rotosounds. I've been using them for 20 years plus and they just feel "right" to me.

Most I use 045-105, but I do have a couple that have 050-110. They sound great and have lasted longer than most

other brands I've tried. I also like roundwounds unless it's for a fretless, flats just sound a little dull to me.

I have coated DR strings on the Thunderbird. They feel softer than uncoated roundwounds, but not as soft and smooth as flat wounds. They are not quite as bright sounding as a lot of roundwounds, but still bright enough. The coating means they last a very long time. The EB-2 has d'Dario Chrome flatwounds, but it is a different animal altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived