Gibson Brands Forums

Amp GAS!!!

ShredAstaire

Whoa...I just played this amp with a bunch of different guitars down at the Guitar Shop (that's the name of it) and I fell in love.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-40.html

What an amazing amp for the price...it was $679 and I'm gonna buy it. Just gotta get rid of my Marshall 1960 4x12 cab first....

Anyone have one of these or tried one?

Whoa...I just played this amp with a bunch of different guitars down at the Guitar Shop (that's the name of it) and I fell in love.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-40.html

What an amazing amp for the price...it was $679 and I'm gonna buy it. Just gotta get rid of my Marshall 1960 4x12 cab first....

Anyone have one of these or tried one?

yea I had one for a couple of weeks and returned it...I thought the gain channel was really noisy and didn't get much saturation...The clean channel was pretty good, but once I returned it for my now Fender Hot Rod Deluxe the Fender kind of blew it away concerning the clean channel IMO. It does take pedals pretty well though, and seemed really nicely put together..but just want my cup of tea..and was IMO terribly noisy when using gain.

Next amp I'm getting is probably gonna be the Bogner Alchemist 2x12..its price dropped at AMS to 1099 and have heard great things about em.

WOW...interesting. What kind of guitar did you play it with? I used a Tele with P90's, a Les Paul Studio and an SG and none of them sounded noisy at all...just nice gain and it was really saturated.

I'll go back and play it again though to be sure...still need to sell the ol' cab first! :)

i've spent a lot of time on the Blackstar forum, and the HT (entry level) series amps are really "hit & miss" as far as the gain channels tone/noise ratio(most likely a tube issue).....best advice, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, then take that amp home instead of one still in the box.

as with any new tube amp, the weak spot is the tubes themselves, there's a lot of "tube talk" and swapping going on w/Blackstars, I personally have had an HT5-H for 18 months, and it's been absolutely trouble-free, and sounded really good with the stock tubes.....3 months ago I installed a Ruby ecc83/HG in the preamp side (10 minute job btw)and the amp became a monster(!!)......when the power tube starts to degrade I have a '61 NOS Tung-Sol USA 12bh7 for it.

as the o.p. mentioned, the Blackstar HT is amazing for the price, IF you get a good one.

they're even better if you're willing to do a little tube swapping.

and they're extremely "owner friendly" when it's time to re-tube.

I've had an HT Club 40 for best part of a year now using Les Paul, Strat and Tele through it. Great amp for the price pretty easy to find good tones for whatever sound you're looking for. No Issues with noise from gain channels with mine.

If you get it it enjoy!

I went to my local Gibson retailer yesterday and found a Gibson LP 60's tribute in HB....looked it over real quick and saw that there was a brand new HT-5 combo sitting in the amp room...I plugged in and started looking over the guitar...I was pretty blown away by how bad the set-up was....action was incredibly high and every string was buzzing at every fret...I was in shock....I tuned up quickly and tried to see if I had the same problems with my HT-40 with the HT-5....it was worse....I'm like wtf....I've heard great clips of BlackStar's various HT series and even had a Club 40 for a while...but the HT-5 sounded like **** (way worse then my old club 40)...and the guitar's setup didnt help either...Now I'm determined to find a good playing Black-Star...they were unpacking various other BlackStar Amps while I was there so I'm gonna go back and test em out...I was so surprised about this Gibson though..it was the worst set-up Gibson I've ever seen, and I wanted to buy it when I first saw it...Honey Burst is my favorite...but I just couldnt believe my eyes and don't know whos to blame for that guitar's set-up. I thought I should share this for some reason, and Shred I would love to hear some clips of your new Club-40...I remember being very impressed by the craftsmanship and "look" of the amp, but just couldnt say the same for the OD channel on mine.

Yeah I will post some hopefully tonight if I can find the time. Gotta hit the gym after work and do the dinner thang....should have an hour to play later though.

sweet...and from what you've expierenced so far, how heavey can you get your new Club 40?....for example, can you get that saturated RR "Crazy Train" tone with out additional pedals?

Yeah I would say I was able to get a pretty heavy tone out of it without any pedals when I tried it....its all about tweaking the settings...EQ, gain etc...I prefer to play without distortion pedals whenever possible and i play heavy stuff so I think this will work for me.

I played it for a good 30 mins playing with settings and most of them sounded great...also the ISF feature will help shape the tone a little...

Yeah I would say I was able to get a pretty heavy tone out of it without any pedals when I tried it....its all about tweaking the settings...EQ, gain etc...I prefer to play without distortion pedals whenever possible and i play heavy stuff so I think this will work for me.

I played it for a good 30 mins playing with settings and most of them sounded great...also the ISF feature will help shape the tone a little...

I really dug the ISF feature...wish it could be on all amps. And yea I wish I could of gotten that much gain on mine, as Bender said, probably due to tubes, or a manufacturing problem,,,sounded incredible at 7:45

Archived