Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J50 - Modern Classic

Archangel

Hello I`m a new member of this forum.

I have posted this on another Gibson related forum as well but the traffic doesn`t seem to be to big so I thought I might try this board as well.

I`m in the market for a guitar, not yet but after christmas.

Originally I was considering the Martin D-15, or any alternatives in the 15 series since I gather from various soundclips that the 15 series seems to have a more mellow deep natural sounding to it then many other brighter sounding Martins.

Then I happened to come across some clips of the Gibson J50 guitar and well lets just say I liked it alot :D/

I haven`t tried out any guitars yet in the shops nearby which of course I should, but I would have get other people to play for me since I am not that good, and more importantly I am left-handed.

I have searced the web a bit, ebay etc and seen that there are some Vintage J50`s appearing from time to time, however I have also seen that the Gibson page have a "Modern Classic J50" version.

I know that a vintage guitar would be more "open" and have bigger sound, but still I wonder if there are anyone on the board that own a new Modern Classic J50 and what you think of it (or if you have played any) ?

Another question would be about the electronics that are fitted on the MC-edition, is it good ?

I would prefer a non-electric so I could install a pickup later (a passive one if that is what its called, the one where you don`t have controlls added, like "mini-western" from the top of my head).

I don`t know alot about guitars I own two, one steelstring and one nylon, and I have only played on and off for about 2 years then one year they have been collecting dust due to studies.

Now I want to pick it up again when I graduate and I want a new better guitar to give me some extra motivation.

Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with the J-50 or the J-45. It's basically the same guitar, however they have different pickguards and the J-50 is natural finish whereas the J-45 is sunburst. The pick up system should be the LR Baggs and is a good pick up.

If you have the extra money, it would be worthwhile to check out the J-45 True Vintage model. It does not have the electrics and most seem to think it sounds better than the Modern Classic version.

The modern classic j50 is an incredible guitar. Beautiful and really warm and responsive. I own various Gibsons, an '03 SJ200, a '68 B15, and both an '08 Hummingbird and J45, both Modern Classics. The J45 is essentially a sunburst J50, and is quite possibly my favourite of all my guitars. I don't know if you're a writer, but songs just POUR out of this thing. I'm currently writing a song a day on the J45.

So from what I gather the J-45 and the J-50 only differentiate in having a natural top and a sunburst one aside from the pickguard ?

Is there a differnce in sound due to the "sunburst coating" in lack of a better word ?

Thanks for the replies so far :-)

Arch, Ive played J45s and J50s side by side. No difference, really. The pickguard may have a minor dampening effect, it would take a pro to hear it.

As for the D15. Martin and Gibson are two different sounds. Gibson is about balance and blend. Martin is generally a tighter brighter sound (tho less so on the D15 with its hog top-you picked up on that). The Martin has a long ( 25.5) scale that allows for extra volume but also makes each note stand out--less blend on chords. Tighter picking hand feel, too. Some folks like that, some dont. Kind of depends on the music you play. I do a lot of fingerpicking, blues and old time music, early rock. Gibson is great for all or that. I wouldnt worry about vintage at this point. Its will cost a lot more and may come with repair baggage.

Thanks for the reply, I have just browsed around for some prices and a true vintage would probably be to high for my budget, and of course a new guitar would mean warranty which a vintage surely don`t have.

Seems the J-45 and J-50 MC are around 2000$ whereas the J-45 True Vintage is around 2600-2700$.

Guess I`ll have to find out if the 600-700 extra is worth it.

And as for playing style I love fingerpicking the most. I mentioned I already have a steelstring and a nylon and if money was not a question I would have a costum made nylon concert guitar.

Though I also want a nicer steelstring and since I want a cross between strumming and fingerpicking I want something larger then a 0-series body, like if I would go for the Martin 15 series it would most likely be the Martin-15S.

Hello I`m a new member of this forum.

I have posted this on another Gibson related forum as well but the traffic doesn`t seem to be to big so I thought I might try this board as well.

I`m in the market for a guitar' date=' not yet but after christmas.

I haven`t tried out any guitars yet in the shops nearby which of course I should, but I would have get other people to play for me since I am not that good, and more importantly I am left-handed.

[/quote']

Archangel, I got one of your employees watching me!

When I bought my J45 in 1982 (she's a 79 Norlin Square shouldered) I bought it solely on the basis that the guy in the shop made it sing! I did play a few chords, a bit of fingerstyle etc but certainly didn't try that guitar as I would do so now.

When I got it home and over a period of a year or so she allowed me to learn a few of the nuances of the acoustic guitar as opposed to electric.

Now I teach the guys in the shops (<<<<<-------Major joke!)

As in a recent thread there are now so many variants of J45s that it is simply imperative that you put your hands around the necks of as many as possible.

Seriously you will find that your guitar will speak to you so you have to suffer the embarassement of some nerd workin for the store running quickly through "Embryonic Journey" as he passes you a guitar.

Neither the 45 or the 50 will let you down they are workhorses and will cover a lot of music for you.

Best of luck, make sure to post the pics when she arrives?

John

I think I can honestly say I've never played a j50 or j45 that I didn't absolutely love. I play in a three-piece band comprised of three acoustic guitarist and singers (Crosby,Stills & Nash style), and, between the three of us, we have FOUR J45s-three Mahogany Modern Classics and one Rosewood. They really are hard to beat, a great sounding,looking and playing guitar that is a wonderful working instrument and does exactly what it says on the tin. They excel plugged in, too, and sound brilliant with the stock pickup. My Hummingbird and SJ200 are a dream too, but there's something uniquely pure and straightforward with a J45 that makes them very hard instruments to beat.

my 2 cents would be to say that anyone shopping for a '45 should also give the AJ a try. the consensus seems to be that the j45rw and the aj are very similar spec-wise and sound similar. though the AJ has quite a unique voice. if you like a big punchy guitar, the aj is worth a go.

I have a J-50 Modern classic from '05 I think. In many ways it is the best-sounding guitar I have. The mids are particularly wonderful on this guitar, with an almost clarinet-like sweetness. It would be my go-to guitar but I'm getting older and my right shoulder does not do as well with these dreadnought size guitars now. I generally play a smaller guitar like L-00, Nick Lucas, or CJ-165.

Don't think that vintage J-5o's have a more open sound. There was recently a thread on here that addresses this issue. The older ones are drier sounding with less overtones. Not better or worse just different. The new ones are very good and a good value.

Archangel-Regarding the pickguard question, I have an, '04 J-45 and really liked the older, more vintage look of the batwing that the J-50 has so I ordered one and replaced the teardrop with it. (Some earlier J-45's came with them also, as well as SJ's) Anyway, I don't think it had any perceptible influence either way on volume or tone. Plus, it looks good!! A nice tortoise 0.60' with a nice bevel. The site(Terrapin) advertised it as being for a J-50 and after I told him I was putting it on my J-45 he added that to its description. Either guitar would be great as would the AJ as mentioned by Cunkhead. I've almost got one of those in my crosshairs now too! Good luck in whichever you choose.

I play in a three-piece band comprised of three acoustic guitarist and singers (Crosby' date='Stills & Nash style), and, between the three of us, we have FOUR J45s-three Mahogany Modern Classics and one Rosewood [/quote']

Jinder--at the risk of highjacking the thread, we'd like to hear more. Band name? web presence? Best, JK

Jk' date=' we're called The Mercurymen-you can find us online at www.mercurymenmusic.com or at www.myspace.com/themercurymen.[/quote']

........and a bloody fine sound you make too. Great stuff Jinder. Will try to see you when you're a bit more local.

Sorry, no hijack intended.

I have a Martin D-28 and a Gibson J-50. They cover all my basis! The J-50 is a great guitar and the pickup inside is very good. The pick up is an LR Baggs and the guitar sounds great plugged up. Most martins as with the D-15 are long scale where the gibsons are short scale. They both feel different when played due to the tention on the strings. I love the HOG sound of my J-50, very warm and woody sounding. Great for flatpicking and fingerstyle. I don't think you can go wrong with the J-50 or the J-45. I just prefer the natural look as opposed to the sunburst finish on the J-45.

I picked up my J-50 for $1800.00, so if price is an issue, I know you can get a new D-15 (also a very nice guitar) for around 900.00. If you get a D-15 though it will most likely be Sapele instead of Mahogany. (unless you get a used D-15). Sapele is as close to true Mahogany as you can get in my opinion and sounds real good as well.

Thanks for those replies.

So from what I gather the sound is basically the "same" for the J-45 and the J-50 ?

I know about the RW J-45 though....sigh another version to consider.

About the scale though :

"Most martins as with the D-15 are long scale where the gibsons are short scale. They both feel different when played due to the tention on the strings"

So a short scale would actually be a guitar with a shorter neck in general, and the tension would be not as tight as on a long scale, or am I completely off, I`m getting tired anyway now :) .

On the D-15 series I know about the Sapele thing, I also gather as you say that it sounds very close to hog, thing is with me I might feel "left out" getting a sapele when paying the same price as with a hog.

I`m not being arrogant or picky it is just one of those things :-)

Archived