Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Holiday Weekend

guitarstrummer

For those who believe in Labor Day, here's hoping you have a happy holiday weekend. I've got a rack of ribs thawing out and have been spending the day making bone saddles for my remaining guitars which don't already have them. Plan to test out the bone saddles a bit later as I work on my songs for the next Homecoming.

I work for the federal government so the only time I do any work is AFTER 4:00 pm and on weekends.

Been working on my boat (website is a couple weeks behind....)

boat

and today I went into the woods to rediscover something I found in the summer of 1968.... it's still there and looks the same as it did then (insert jokes here). I have plans for it to come home with me.

What turned out to be a 1914 or 1915 Dodge

Happy Labor Day!! So far, I've treated myself to breakfast at "Darrell's", a mom and pop, home cooking sort of retro 1950's kind of place. Big comfy booths, a counter where all the "old chaps" sit and discuss the world that has those round swivelling stools bolted to the floor. They also had a new waitress, college student, about 5'10" tall, black hair and looked like she just walked off a fashion runway somewhere. She avoided eye contact with me at all costs thanks to her good judgement. After chicken fried steak, hashbrowns, eggs, toast and coffee and the reading of the daily newspaper, I've come home for emails, check this very forum and then I'll be ready for a nap!

TW, that sounds like a great day! it's hot but beautiful here on the west coast of FLA. sitting here at the moment watching the coverage of hurricane gustav and feeling blessed that we dodged another one. hoping that the folks in LA. will be ok. doesn't look like it's the monster storm all thought it would be. can't play guitar today as they're all put away due to major painting job in my condo. off to mom's for hot dogs and hamburgers in an hour and then on to either the new woody allen or ben stiller movie. happy labor day all.

rob

Ah, and what a wonderfull labor day weekend it was. Between the cookouts and football on Saturday and Sunday, I managed to put on new strings and give all my instruments a complete head to toe cleaning as well as get in a little play time with each. Making Monday an all day play day, a few hours on Bass, a few hours on Guitar, and a few hours on Mandolin, which is exactly how I plan on spending my days when I retire. Maybe by then I'll have picked up a Ukulele or a Banjo too.

Happy Labor Day!! After chicken fried steak' date=' hashbrowns, eggs, toast and coffee and the reading of the daily newspaper, I've come home for emails, check this very forum and then I'll be ready for a nap![/size']

TW, my dear old thing.

Of course, you are by now, I'm sure, quite used to, when it comes to guitars, my English ignorance and, some may say, pomposity but what in Dicken's name is Chicken Fried Steak?

A steak fried by a chicken?

A steak the size of a chicken?

I do hope you enjoyed your nap.

Yours sincerely......

TW' date=' my dear old thing.

Of course, you are by now, I'm sure, quite used to, when it comes to guitars, my English ignorance and, some may say, pomposity but what in Dicken's name is Chicken Fried Steak?

Yours sincerely......[/quote']

Albertjohn- The chicken fried steak is not fried by a rather large chicken but rather a steak that is fried with a coating that makes it resemble the skin on country fried chicken that we've all had at picnics, Sunday dinner, etc. There are many recipes and many opinions. It is what might be called a "heart stopper" sort of meal. If you're hungry, they are almost heavenly. They are not included in the cardiologists diet which is " If it tastes good, spit it out!" Here's one of the many sites I found. Never mind the appearance, these things are adictive! Boy howdy!!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ChickenFriedSteak.htm

TW' date=' my dear old thing.

Yours sincerely......[/quote']

Albertjohn- The chicken fried steak is not fried by a rather large chicken but rather a steak that is fried with a coating that makes it resemble the skin on country fried chicken that we've all had at picnics, Sunday dinner, etc. There are many recipes and many opinions. It is what might be called a "heart stopper" sort of meal. If you're hungry, they are almost heavenly. They are not included in the cardiologists diet which is " If it tastes good, spit it out!" Here's one of the many sites I found. Never mind the appearance, these things are adictive! Boy howdy!!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ChickenFriedSteak.htm

AlbertJohn,

Chicked fried steak is soooo good, TWilson had to post his response twice.

BTW: Believe it or not, the best chicken fried steak I ever had was at the airport in Oklahoma City. As per TWilson's signature line, it would've made a great replacement.

AlbertJohn' date='

Chicked fried steak is soooo good, TWilson had to post his response twice.

BTW: Believe it or not, the best chicken fried steak I ever had was at the airport in Oklahoma City. As per TWilson's signature line, it would've made a great replacement.[/quote']

Ha, thanks Gearbasher, I was daydreaming during that post and my mouth was watering. I can't really say where the best chicken fried steak was served but back in the 70's there was a truck stop in Ellensburg, Washington that served one that covered the entire platter and the mashed 'taters and veggies had to rest on the top of the steak. We always thought the gravy looked green so that's what we called it, green gravy. Oh, they were $2.25 !!! God, I think I'll go get another one right now!!!

Thanks TW and GB. I think I'll give it a try. Despite the obvious health issues, it sounds delicious. Maybe have a Texan theme at my next dinner party. SRV in the background, no loud in the foreground! Reruns of Dallas on the widescreen!

I may even invite JT and Thermionik along as long as JT promises to behave. The photos could be quite interesting.

What should we drink to add to the authenticity?

Jack and Lone Star Beer.

Where's JohnT been? Haven't seen a post from him in a few days. Very Un-British of him.

Daniels I assume? - no problem, although I'm not a spirit man any longer. As for Lone Star Beer, I must say I've never seen it on sale in the UK, but have never looked. There must be a town called London in Texas, so London Pride it is then.

No idea on JT. I hope he hasn't been carted away by the men in white coats. Or could he have the date wrong and is already on the plane to Bozeman?

No doubt he'll be back with a vengeance very soon.

Jack and Lone Star Beer.

Where's JohnT been? Haven't seen a post from him in a few days. Very Un-British of him.

Blaenau Ffestiniog is a small town in Gwynedd, north-west Wales.It in the Snowdon massif and is a traditional mining area for slate.

Slate, as I am ceratin you know is dark grey and in the wet, which it almost certainly always is in Blaenau FFestiniog. It looks dark, grey manacing even.

It is for that reason that I call Blaenau Ffestiniog one of the "aSSholes of the world"

It was on it's own until I had to come to Stoke on Trent for this week.

Stoke on Trent rightly IMHO is the 2nd "A$$hole of the world"

I don't know if any of you have been in the A$$hole of the world, but you don't feel like being jovial or even too sociable!

Plus this completely useless hotel I booked myself into wants to cahrge me £6 per hour for wi-fi!

I wish, I wish I had brought a guitar!

So thats where I am alive and completely pi$$ed off on Stoke on Trent!

Still Business is business,but one thing I have learnt is ley the PA book hotels!

Love and Peace to all

BR

John

Archived