Gibson Brands Forums

1998 "Early" J-45- Help

Newtoit

I have played alot of mando and fiddle and recently bought a Epi Ej-160E. I liked it for a while but now want a better guitar. I am looking at a mint 1998 Early j-45. Does anyone know about this guitar? What do they mean by early? I'm thinking it is an older model "Standard". Anyone have any knowledge please reply. Thanks

I have played alot of mando and fiddle and recently bought a Epi Ej-160E. I liked it for a while but now want a better guitar. I am looking at a mint 1998 Early j-45. Does anyone know about this guitar? What do they mean by early? I'm thinking it is an older model "Standard". Anyone have any knowledge please reply. Thanks

This was one attempt in a series of refinements by Gibson in trying to 'capture' the historically-accurate J-45 (whatever that is....).

There have been re-issues, "Historics", "Authentics", "Legend", and "True Vintage" too -- in 1997/8, they came up with the "Early 60s" Hummingbird as well as the "Early J-45". At the time, they were intended to be a more accurate representation of a particular snapshot-in-time of the J-45's glory days.

Hope it sounds good!

Fred

That run (97-98) was strictly an acoustic, substantial neck (1 3/4), block logo, early 50's appointments. The old harm central cite had some favorable comments on them. In 99 or 00, Gib began dropped the "E" designation and began shipping J45s with pick-ups.

Yes, I bought one of these from Peter Cook in London 1998. Sold it in Bermuda 2006!!

Wish I hadn't of course. Beautiful guitar - get it! White tuner knobs and single ring rosette, and orange label.

The neck wasn't 1 3/4 it was standard gibson width. The neck was fairly low profile. My 93 J-45 has a much thicker neck, but great to play.

Archived