Gibson Brands Forums

Hard Case for Melody Maker Reissue

jonpowl

I'm looking to upgrade the soft case for my 2007 Melody Maker Reissue. I have a Les Paul case and the MM floats around in it. Does anybody know if the SG case would be a better fit? I'm interested in saving money, so I would probably consider the Epiphone SG case before the Gibson SG case. Any help would be appreciated.

Jonpowl,

When you say "floats around" are you talking about the thickness of the case?

A SG has a different shape and I doubt that the guitar would fit. The problem with a MM is the same problem that most people have with juniors and specials. There are few cases that are made specifically for them.

They will fit in some of the rectangular thin line cases such as Gator and others.

Otherwise if the depth of the LP case is the only problem it can be corrected for a few bucks with trip to a fabric store. Some high density foam rubber and a little fabric might do the trick.

Here's my grandson's Epi LP Special:

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

photo2.jpg

We cut a templet out of construction paper. Used it to cut the foam rubber. (different layers for different thicknesses in different parts of the case) Fitted the fabric, and glued the fabric to the foam rubber with spray glue.

Some people just put a towel under them.

Willy

I have a Kaces Grafix 'Old Glory' Les Paul case and the Melody Maker is too thin (depth), hence the "floats around". Otherwise, it is a good fit. I usually throw in a couple of extra polishing cloths to make it secure. Trouble is, I found a Gibson Les Paul Special at less than $400 and now it owns the Kaces case, and the MM is caseless. I'm hoping somebody owns an MM and an Epi SG case or even Musician's Gear SG case that fits the MM. The specs for both cases look like they might accommodate the MM. Thanks for the idea of the high density foam rubber and a little fabric.

Musician's Gear SGS Case: Interior dimensions: 40-1/2" H x (with a 17" H body) x 13-1/2" W (lower bout), 11-1/2" W (upper bout) x 3 D"

DSCN3509_MLP.jpg

The MM will sit in any Les Paul case. Although as you have found, the case is deeper than the MM

is thick. I fold a hand towel up and place over the bridge on mine and it sits tight!

BUT, I have one of the old "Protector" cases and it's heavily padded.

In fact you can see that it touches the face of the guitar without any extra padding.

MVC-342S.jpg

The MM will sit in any Les Paul case. Although as you have found, the case is deeper than the MM

is thick. I fold a hand towel up and place over the bridge on mine and it sits tight!

BUT, I have one of the old "Protector" cases and it's heavily padded.

In fact you can see that it touches the face of the guitar without any extra padding.

MVC-342S.jpg

Try to find a Joan Jett melody maker case. they pop up on ebay sometimes. fits great. Also a protector "chainsaw" style case from the 70's work wonders! ive got one but one latch is busted. So Im still searching too.

• 5 months later...

They will fit in some of the rectangular thin line cases such as Gator and others.

I bought a Gator GC-Electric-A for my 2007 MM and, to be honest, it fit's like it was custom made for it! No movement at all when the lid is closed, snug without being too tight. I'd recommend them:

http://www.gatorcases.com/Default.aspx?Section=Products&Page=Details&CategoryID=4410&CatalogID=11129

Archived