Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning gear problems

maninblack

I have three Gibsons and a Martin with somewhat creaky, slippery tuners on the G and B strings. On each, it is worse on the G than the B. On my 2001 J-45 it has become difficult to get in tune at all and I'm having a hard time staying in tune on those strings. Everytime I'm close, the gear skips and I shoot sharp. Has anybody else experienced a problem like this? Any simple remedy? If not, what make/model tuner was Gibson using on J-45s in 2001. Is there a direct (and preferably superior) replacement available?

The help of my esteemed forum members is always appreciated.

Mark

I have three Gibsons and a Martin with somewhat creaky' date=' slippery tuners on the G and B strings. On each, it is worse on the G than the B. On my 2001 J-45 it has become difficult to get in tune at all and I'm having a hard time staying in tune on those strings. Everytime I'm close, the gear skips and I shoot sharp. Has anybody else experienced a problem like this? Any simple remedy? If not, what make/model tuner was Gibson using on J-45s in 2001. Is there a direct (and preferably superior) replacement available?

The help of my esteemed forum members is always appreciated.

Mark[/quote']

I guess it bears mentioning the obvious, that being, have you checked the nut slots to ensure that they are not 'snagging' the strings? Sometimes those just need a gentle touch with the correct file, and a little dab o' graphite to lubricate. Particularly if you've moved to a different string guage, but even if not.

In case you haven't tried that, that is.

Fred

Typically, when strings click and creak then go sharp, the nut solutions mentioned ahead of my post are the most likely to give results. It takes very little filing to adjust the channel on a nut but you must be very careful not to file at an angle the leads the tip of the file toward the fret board as this will change the contact point for the string and negatively adjust intonation.

If your heads need lubrication (open gear or heads with a hold in the casing) or tightening, these issues need to be addressed first.

A lot of folks think they have faulty tuners when it is either a binding nut, as mentioned, or poor stringing technique, which lets the string slip under pressure. Also it helps to tune down, then raise to check backlash. It's hard to find a bad tuner these days; even the cheapest seem to be better than the old Klusons. And they were usually good enough.

is it daft to suggest' date=' when going to a higher gauge, running the string back and forth through the nut slot a few times before winding?[/quote']

The nut is usually a lot harder than the string so this would take a bit of effort and probably wear the string out before you make any headway. If you do move to a heavier gauge and the strings bind at the nut, try dropping a bit of pencil lead in the slot first (avoid vaseline) and if that doesn't work, take it to your guitar tech for a touch up. Only takes 10 seconds to do.

Probably another silly question. I use a graphite pencil to lubricate the nut slots at every string change but it does rather make a mess of the nut. A damp cloth seems to make matters worse. So, if you'll pardon the expression, my nuts do tend to look rather grubby! (Boom Boom!)

Come on all you grubby nut sufferers. Now's the time to stand up and embrace your problem with both hands!

Seriously though, does anyone have a simple solution for me?

Probably another silly question. I use a graphite pencil to lubricate the nut slots at every string change but it does rather make a mess of the nut. A damp cloth seems to make matters worse. So' date=' if you'll pardon the expression, my nuts do tend to look rather grubby! (Boom Boom!)

Come on all you grubby nut sufferers. Now's the time to stand up and embrace your problem with both hands!

Seriously though, does anyone have a simple solution for me?[/quote']

I would say the only thing that would work for your without making your nuts grubby is

Big Bends Nut Sauce

Some tuners like the mini Grovers used on Blues King and others simply don't tune very fine and you have to just keep going up and down till you get it the way you want. Unfortunately they are not that easy to find a drop-in replacement with out changing hole placement.

I use a pencil. Nothing against nut lube or nut sauce or nut grease, I just never bothered to buy the stuff. True, the graphite/clay mix is messy and not pretty. Once the strings are on and tuned I take a dry cloth or paper towel and just wipe across the nut. MOST of the guck will come off; not perfect but acceptable.

And speaking of pencils...... let's go back to 2005 for a moment:

Further proof that my brain isn't firing on all cylinders

Wow, this thread has really gone insane.

Two guys are out hunting and they find a woman in the woods. The first guy says: Hey, are you game? The woman replies: I sure am baby.

The second guy shoots her.

Variation #2 (this is where it gets nuts - get it? Nuts?)

First guy asks if she is game. She says sure and flashes a breast. First guy asks her to show more. She says: Why don't one of you show me something. First guy says to second guy: Billy, show her your nuts.

Billy starts banging the sides of his head and screams out Boola-boola, Boola boola!!

Some tuners like the mini Grovers used on Blues King and others simply don't tune very fine and you have to just keep going up and down till you get it the way you want. Unfortunately they are not that easy to find a drop-in replacement with out changing hole placement.

Grover makes a locking version of the Mini-Rotomatic with 18:1 ratio (normal Rotomatic is 14:1) - I would expect the holes to be the same size. Also an 18:1 (non-locking) Midsize-Rotomatic is available. Specs are on StewMac's site.

Archived