Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone thunderbird neck dive

EvoRider

Is ther any real fix for the neck dive problem without doing any real mods ? i am thinking about driling a hole in the neck mount plate and installing my strap button there. Please not i am using the hennessy nsl7200 strap lock system and there are kinda big. Will doing this mod affect the value of the guitar? Any ideas?

Does the gibson thunderbird do the same thing?

I dont know if relocating the strap button to the neck plate will do much. Most likely a latteral move...literally. Your best bet is to buy a good quality, wide leather strap. That is what most people do to solve this problem. And best of all, no modding!

I am currentely useing a 2 1/2 inch wide leather strap and is not correcting the problem.. I am thinking about making a new neckplate and useing it instead of drilling a hole in the orignal plate. but i am not sure about doing it..

I am currentely useing a 2 1/2 inch wide leather strap and is not correcting the problem.. I am thinking about making a new neckplate and useing it instead of drilling a hole in the orignal plate. but i am not sure about doing it..

SIMPLE IDEA: Which is on a lost thread somewwhere here... Just stich a weight onto your strap... No messing with your bass... Problemo solved!

Well i relocated the strap button to the back of the neckplate and presto fix the problem. But in the process i found out the bridge studs that are pressed into the body are coming out. so i tapped them back in with no problem but after i reinstalled the strings and played it for a while i noticed the stud pulling back out. What do i do now. now i guess i void the warrenty because i have modded the guitar. Any ideas on how to fix the new problem? i seen in another forum to change the bridge to a hipshot supertone bridge. but it is $120.00 dollars.. If i keep spending money on this guitar my wife is going to kill me..

She's probably going to kill you anyway, so where's the problem? [biggrin]

I put the strap button between the neck plate and heel of the neck. It makes getting a strap on and off difficult, but it solved the neck dive problem along with a 2" or so strap. One of these days I would like a wider strap, but it's fine for now.

On all of my T-birds, I move my straplocks "off center". I move the one by the bride about 3 1//2" to the left towards the rear fin (about 1 1/2" past the edge of the raised section). In the neck heel area, I place that one left of the neck (in line with the bottom two neck screws on the Epi), and about 5/8" away from the edge of the raised section. By moving the strap buttons "off center", it makes the T-bird balance extremely well- and rests almost vertcally. I wear mine slung pretty low and this works the best for me.

tbirdstrapbuttons001.jpg

tbirdstrapbuttons002.jpg

I, like many Epiphone Thunderbird players, instead of putting a new strap button in using one of the neck bolts like the EB-0s have, I put a strap button on the end of the neck heel like this:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/pics/button.jpg

You can't really do this on the Gibson or the Epiphone Pro basses due to the curved heel of the neck-through

I also have a Hipshot bridge fitted and use a Brooklyn Gear strap which is pretty much a rebranded Comfort Strap. The bass points upward slightly when I've got it on .

Its the most comfortable bass I've ever played after setting it up, moving the strap button and fitting a set of Roto flats. In fact, its the only bass I own now.

On all of my T-birds, I move my straplocks "off center". I move the one by the bride about 3 1//2" to the left towards the rear fin (about 1 1/2" past the edge of the raised section). In the neck heel area, I place that one left of the neck (in line with the bottom two neck screws on the Epi), and about 5/8" away from the edge of the raised section. By moving the strap buttons "off center", it makes the T-bird balance extremely well- and rests almost vertcally. I wear mine slung pretty low and this works the best for me.

tbirdstrapbuttons001.jpg

tbirdstrapbuttons002.jpg

I did this after seeing your post. My Epi T-bird still does the neck dive think, but it helpped out alot with the overall balance !! I'm not pushing down with my elbow ,and tugging upwards on the neck anymore ! Makes it a lot easier to play.

I bought one of these straps:

http://headsupstrap.com/

They're expensive but completely got rid of any neck dive issues with my Thunderbird and Viola. Well worth the money IMO.

Hey Scotty,

Welcome to the forum!

Good people here have been suggesting stiching weights onto straps here for ages, but this is the first commercial version of that idea I've seen!

TNTROY: As I said back on 10 Feb... problemo solved [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

It is not enough that the strap be wide, it helps if the inside of the strap is suede or other non-slip material. You don't have to buy new, your favorite strap can be "modded" with a bit of chamoise or suede glued or stitched to the underside where it crosses your shoulder.

• 2 months later...

Three ways:

1. Get a padded strap, it will be made -most likely- with a non-slip material, I used one at guitar center before I bought my Goth Thunderbird. No neck dive at all. Make sure is a wide one :P.

2. Drilling a hole: Drill a hole exactly in the middle of that small square that reads EPIPHONE at the back of your guitar and move the strap pin there.

3. Not drilling a hole: Just REPLACE one of the screws in the neck (small metallic square that reads Epiphone) and... add a strap button on it :D

• 4 weeks later...

tbirdstrapbuttons001.jpg

tbirdstrapbuttons002.jpg

Problem solved. Thank you for sharing !

SG and EB0 have the dive of death also. I use a wider leather strap. A strap that isn't smooth on the inside works ok. Simple things like running the cord through the strap at the strap button pulls down on it a bit too. I know a couple of players that use a type of weighted bean bag attached to the to the strap also. Another thing I found, if I change the angle I hold the bass, with the head more upright. Almost kinda' like an upright bass, but not that straight up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived