Gibson Brands Forums

Question: LP studio faded maple top?

Pittstrummer

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy a Les Paul studio faded and recently noticed they are "redesigned" with a mahogany body and maple top, rather than all mahogany.

My link

But at all the online stores (Musicians Friend, Guitar Center etc) they are still listed as all mahogany. Does anybody know when Gibson changed them and why nobody seems to offer the maple top version?

Thanks!

It was fairly recent. I think the Studio Vintage Mahogany (VM) is still available with the all mahogany body. It seems that Gibson made a concious decision to put maple tops on most of the Studios starting last year, and it's really kicked in now. The success of the 50's Tribute Studo Les Paul may have encouraged the move by showing that they could make a maple capped Lester, make it look good, and still keep it in reach of the average player out there.

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy a Les Paul studio faded and recently noticed they are "redesigned" with a mahogany body and maple top, rather than all mahogany.

My link

But at all the online stores (Musicians Friend, Guitar Center etc) they are still listed as all mahogany. Does anybody know when Gibson changed them and why nobody seems to offer the maple top version?

Thanks!

Cool. I'm glad they added the maple cap. Maybe all the stores are getting rid of there old stock first or maybe they didn't get the memo.

And the on-line guys might not have any of the new ones left, for now. I know the 60's Tribute Studio is flying out of the stores, not sure about the rest. Plus the on line guys have backstock they'll be trying to push out the doors.

Try www.davesguitar.com

it's the store I always go too, and they do a ton of online business. Good guys, if they don't have what you're looking for, they'll try to find it.

And the on-line guys might not have any of the new ones left, for now. I know the 60's Tribute Studio is flying out of the stores, not sure about the rest. Plus the on line guys have backstock they'll be trying to push out the doors.

Try www.davesguitar.com

it's the store I always go too, and they do a ton of online business. Good guys, if they don't have what you're looking for, they'll try to find it.

That makes sense. I'll check out Daves. Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. After a phone call to Gibson this is what I found out:

As of 2011, all the Les Paul Studio Faded models will have the maple top. You can find guitars with a December 2010 serial number however because they were made in december to be shipped and sold in January (I have found one of these at my local GC.) So if the serial is pre december 2010 it'll have the mahogany top, but anything december and newer and it'll be a maple top.

In case you don't know how gibson's serial system works. 1st and 5th numbers indicate year, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th indicate the day of the year... ex. a serial number 13340.... would be made on the 334th day of the year (december 1st) 2010. after 365, the number changes to: 10011.... Now, i'm not sure if Gibson made any guitars on new years day or not, but if they did that would be the serial on them.

I just put a hold on one of these new maple top studio faded's and i'm going down after I get off work to play and check it out. At the price they are being sold for you can afford to re-paint them however you want and you still spend less money than if you bought the a studio (only available in 4 colors) and replaced the pickups with burstbuckers. Score!

Oh yeah...I forgot to add...

The online retailers are still advertising the older ones because they would like to get rid of the all mahogany ones first. I'm sure if you call your local store, or even call your online dealer, they will be able to get you a new one. Except sweetwater that is, the sales rep there said they wouldn't have any until April so I guess it's safe to assume when sweetwater gets them in they will be the new maple tops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello guys! If I had to choose between the two I would take the all-mahogany. Simply because this construction is a rarity and the first run of LP Customs in the 50s were all-mahogany too. :) Cheers... Bence

I just got a maple cap worn brown one from Americanmusical.com, no affln.

Very beautiful, smooth top with a beautiful grain. A satin top, very smooth and has beautiful lustreous glow. Plays great and sounds super great.

The maple cap has its function and definitely looks very good. It does not have a grainy feel or look to it and there is no need to polish it down to make it shine.

Great guitar, easily available.

• 6 years later...

I was wondering the same thing. After a phone call to Gibson this is what I found out:

As of 2011, all the Les Paul Studio Faded models will have the maple top. You can find guitars with a December 2010 serial number however because they were made in december to be shipped and sold in January (I have found one of these at my local GC.) So if the serial is pre december 2010 it'll have the mahogany top, but anything december and newer and it'll be a maple top.

In case you don't know how gibson's serial system works. 1st and 5th numbers indicate year, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th indicate the day of the year... ex. a serial number 13340.... would be made on the 334th day of the year (december 1st) 2010. after 365, the number changes to: 10011.... Now, i'm not sure if Gibson made any guitars on new years day or not, but if they did that would be the serial on them.

I just put a hold on one of these new maple top studio faded's and i'm going down after I get off work to play and check it out. At the price they are being sold for you can afford to re-paint them however you want and you still spend less money than if you bought the a studio (only available in 4 colors) and replaced the pickups with burstbuckers. Score!

Hello I'm Guido from Italy

I resine this topic because i have just purchase a LES paul studio faded 2010 worn Cherry serial 10110414 Made in USA

and Gibson customer service write this to me

Hi Mr Venturini,

This guitar model has maple top.

Best regards,

Marcelo

Customer Service Europe

Gibson Brands, Inc.

Probably we did some guitars with mahogany top, but this is not the case. Hope this helps

So seems se have maple top for my model vedi te dicembre 2010.

Bye

Guido

Archived