Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1974 les paul custom just acquired guitar

#1 User is offline   Davey58 

• Group: Members
  • LocationLEICESTER , ENGLAND

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi all, i am a newbie on this gibson site and am just trying to find my way around it at present.
I have three les pauls, a standard of 2004, a black les paul custom of 2008, and my latest acquisition, a 1974 cherry burst les paul custom.
I am a lefty but please dont hold that against me,lol.
I would love to hear from anyone here on this gibson site who can give me any more information on my 74 custom especially!.
I have had the guitar a little over 1 week now and i have to say i was astonished at the feel and playability of this guitar.
The action took me by surprise when i first pick up the guitar and starten to play it for the first time, and the overall feel was amazing in my hands.
I hope this makes sense to someone as i was completely, and very pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this instrument.
I find the sound awesome, and absoloutly love this guitar. What a find!
It feels a very different beast to my 2008 custom for a start. I think it is probably down to a much slimmer neck!.
I have read a little about these guitars from the early to mid seventies and noted that they had three piece necks, and a three piece maple top. this one also has a two piece pancake body but, if that is in any way, not a good thing,i have to ask the question why? because, as i have said, this instrument is awesome, and has now become my first instrument of choice.
Thanks for reading my rammblings, but, on a more serious note, can anyone out there tell me a bit more about this latest guitar i have been blessed to get hold of.
cheers folks.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1974 les paul.JPG

#2 User is offline   LPguitarman 

• RUSH Fan
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Welcome to the forums. You've got a beauty there. How about some pictures of you other Les Pauls and more pictures of the '74.
As for more info, try sending your serial number to Gibson Customer Service, they should be able to help you. [thumbup]
Posted Image
<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guitars:

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique GOW#2
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC Acoustic/Electric

Pedals:

Original Cry Baby Wah
Morley Power Wah Boost
DOD Stereo Chorus
BOSS DD-3 Delay
DOD Flanger
MXR 6-Band Equalizer
BOSS Acoustic Simulator
BOSS Chromatic Tuner
BOSS Compression / Sustainer
DOD Grunge
MXR EVH Phase 90
Original Voice Box
(2) Pedal Boards to hold it all (1) SKB & (1) Boss

Amp:

50 Watt Peavey Classic VT Series 2x12 w/ Scorpion speakers

#3 User is offline   BobB 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

Welcome to the Gibson Forums! Lefty's are always welcome here. Check out www.southpawguitars.com. They specialize in left handed instruments.

#4 User is offline   bogman57 

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

The 70's era Gibsons get kind of a bad rap, and I don't think it's entirely justified. In the 70's gibson changed some things on the Les Paul that people did not like. for example, the pancake body. Also, most, I don't know about all, have maple necks instead of mahogany. These changes weren't necessarily bad. I like the idea of a maple neck. Maple is a stronger wood, and the headstocks break less often. But, these changes messed with the classic formula; it wasn't exactly the same as the iconic 1959 Les Paul, so, some people think it's a lesser guitar. They are missing out. I played a '79 LP custom and it played great and sounded great. It could hang with any Les Paul out there. If you like the way it plays and the way it sounds, you've got a winner.

#5 User is offline   bogman57 

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Oh, BTW Randy Rhoads played a 1974 Les paul Custom. Didn't hold him back. Oh, the maple necks started in 1975-76. If you go to the Les paul forum or Google and type in "Norlin" or "Norlin Les Paul" (Norlin was the parent company of Gibson at that time) they can give you a pretty good rundown of the differences in pickups and construction of 70's Les Pauls. Hope this helps a little. I contemplated buying one for awhile.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users