Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. Jerry Reed

TWilson

We lost a first rate country picker yesterday. Jerry Reed was 71 years old. Many younger folk will recall him as an actor but early on he was highly regarded for his guitar work. He quit school at 17 to play with Ernest Tubb and, I believe, Webb Pierce. He won Grammys with Chet Atkins. Rest in peace Jerry.

I had this nagging recollection from early guitar lick trading that Jerry Reed's own RCA Victor recording of it charted in the USA (so of course we HAD to listen to it - it had Guitar and Man in the title, man.....). Sure enough - it charted stateside in '67 on Billboard, though it only got to 53, but when EP came to put it down, he couldn't get the pickin' right and called Jerry in to do it! His singing is kinda nice too. Sad day indeed.

It all sounds kind of funny

but it hurts to much to laugh

She got the gold mine

I got the sha-a-a-aft.

I liked Amos Moses too.

One of the greatest pickers of all time.

God bless you Jerry! )-; We're gonna miss you Snow Man!

Whaddya mean 'So I guess he had recorded it'.....

He wrote it.

He recorded it on RCA Victor.

It got air-play all over the USA.

It charted on Billboard in '67 at #53.

Presley and his team decided to cover it.

Presley couldn't play the licks so they called JR and said could he teach it to EP.

JR went to the studio, EP couldn't pick it up, so JR ended up playing it on the Presley recording too.

He was GOOOOOD

Was saddened when I saw this yeasterday. I immediately sent a text to one of my best friends. He got divorced because he hung out with me the first night we ever met, and we watched Smokey and the Bandit about 4 times as AMC had it on repeat all night long.

His wife kept calling thinking that he was lying that he was at a friends house and not out partying without her. This despite the fact that was indeed out partying herself. She called his cell phone, my apartment phone, my cell phone, to no avail.

All the while we were simply sitting there watching Smokey, the Snowman, and the Bandit go to Texarkana and back in 24 hours, while enjoying about a case and a half of Miller Hi-Life.

My buddy constantly thanks me for saving his life by getting him divorced and we have a special love of both Miller Hi-Life and Smokey and the Bandit, because of his his idiot ex-wife and their inevitable divorce.

Also, East Bound and Down was one of the first songs I learned to strum to.

Whaddya mean 'So I guess he had recorded it'.....

He wrote it.

He recorded it on RCA Victor.

It got air-play all over the USA.

It charted on Billboard in '67 at #53.

Presley and his team decided to cover it.

Presley couldn't play the licks so they called JR and said could he teach it to EP.

JR went to the studio' date=' EP couldn't pick it up, so JR ended up playing it on the Presley recording too.

He was GOOOOOD

An earlier post indicated he'd wrote it but didn't know if'n he'd recorded it. I guess I shouldn't have used passive vernacular. OF COURSE HE RECORDED IT! Forceful enough?

Sorry for shouting - I was just trying to say that he did a lot more than 'just' record it.

What I meant was, not only did he write and record it, but it charted in the USA and got a fair ammount of playing back in '67 - so much so that we heard it over here in Blighty. Sure Elvis's cut was higher profile - but then we found out JR did the guitar part on that too! (We were obsessive about guitar parts back in the day - oh, hang on, durn it - we still are !! ).

TK - I hate it when Labour-Day becomes hard-labour-day. And I hate those jobs where they say 'oh, four hours should do it.....' and you KNOW they should put 'teen on the end. Bet you're aching real bad. My sympathy to you.

Archived