Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a Goth G-400.

Dougefresh91

So I impulsively just bought this at Sam Ash for $299. They had a Les Paul like it, too, but this one felt better. It sounds different from my SG, louder and more distortion. The only thing I don't like about it is the name.

(I don't know why Dropbox keeps rotating some of the photos. Sorry for the lousy quality, too.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.12.25.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.25.50.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.26.17.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.26.51.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.30.04.jpg

Can someone tell me the difference between a G-400 and an SG? Also, what is the kill pot for and how do I lower the action a bit? I'm guessing the two screws in the bridge.

So I impulsively just bought this at Sam Ash for $299. They had a Les Paul like it, too, but this one felt better. It sounds different from my SG, louder and more distortion. The only thing I don't like about it is the name.

(I don't know why Dropbox keeps rotating some of the photos. Sorry for the lousy quality, too.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.12.25.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.25.50.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.26.17.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.26.51.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9361394/2011-02-12%2015.30.04.jpg

Can someone tell me the difference between a G-400 and an SG? Also, what is the kill pot for and how do I lower the action a bit? I'm guessing the two screws in the bridge.

A G-400 is Epiphone's version (copy) of a Gibson SG (solid guitar). That's it, as far as I can tell. Chinese/USA

Adding to previous responses (well obvious, but maybe not for everyone) - the tuners are different ( Gibson Deluxe - Kluson type on SG, and Grovers on G-400) and the pickups are different.

Kill pot is for creating what is often called the "machine-gun" effect - by tapping the kill pot you kill the volume of the pickup.

As for the action - adjust the nuts UNDER the bridge, screws are the bridge posts.

EDIT: Oh, I just figured out that maybe by saying "SG" you also mean Epi SG. Well, in that case the I have to tell you that "SG" is a common name for most of Epi SG-type guitars (Goth G-400 is an exception, perhaps there may be a couple more in the history), while SG G-400 is one of the types. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks, guys.

@TheTrafficLights: yeah, I was referring to my Epi SG (i think it can be seen in the bg of the one photo). So you're saying its the circular nuts I need to tighten down? I turned the bridge screws following a tut and I thought it lowered the action a bit, but I want it to be like the sg so it's still too high. I don't know what I'd use on those nuts with without scratching the black paint.

Now that I've spent some time with the g-400 I noticed a few more differences. The g-400 is considerably lighter and is actually better balanced. The SG however sounds and feels better. I think I may need to change the pickups eventually on the g-400. To what I don't know. I'll probably wait til I at least change the strings though because I've heard that may help.

I need to stay out of Sam Ash. I've only been playing for five or so months and I already own three guitars. Lol. I have problems.

Thanks, guys.

@TheTrafficLights: yeah, I was referring to my Epi SG (i think it can be seen in the bg of the one photo). So you're saying its the circular nuts I need to tighten down? I turned the bridge screws following a tut and I thought it lowered the action a bit, but I want it to be like the sg so it's still too high. I don't know what I'd use on those nuts with without scratching the black paint.

Use your fingers, seriously. The nuts are not tight at all (well, if you want to raise the bridge you need to de-tune the strings), at least on my LP.

Now that I've spent some time with the g-400 I noticed a few more differences. The g-400 is considerably lighter and is actually better balanced. The SG however sounds and feels better. I think I may need to change the pickups eventually on the g-400. To what I don't know. I'll probably wait til I at least change the strings though because I've heard that may help.

Just to avoid further confusion - call what you're calling now an SG - G-400, and what you're calling a G-400 - Goth G-400. They're both SG's, one way or another:)

I don't think I like the bridge pickup in this guitar. It sounds kind of tinny, if that makes sense. Can you guys recommend a good replacement that would install easily? I want to sound like

Hi Doug - I'm a newbie & I just started playing 7 months ago with an ebony Epi SG and I am wondering if the more experienced folks here would care to comment or ask about the amp you're using. Perhaps that has something to do with the "tinny" sound. This is a great place for advice, by the way.

Hi Doug - I'm a newbie & I just started playing 7 months ago with an ebony Epi SG and I am wondering if the more experienced folks here would care to comment or ask about the amp you're using. Perhaps that has something to do with the "tinny" sound. This is a great place for advice, by the way.

The amp I'm using is a Marshall Micro Stack; Lead 15 would be the model number I suppose. I have a Stratocaster, and the other Epi SG and they both sound pretty good through the amp so I'm guessing it's not that. Just guessing of course. I've seen people say that the Epi strings that new guitars come with aren't very good, so I'm thinking I'll switch them out before I go swapping humbuckers and whatnot. I wish I could find out more about my other guitar, what kind of pickups mainly, without taking it apart. Serial numbers only gave me when and where it was made.

The amp I'm using is a Marshall Micro Stack; Lead 15 would be the model number I suppose. I have a Stratocaster, and the other Epi SG and they both sound pretty good through the amp so I'm guessing it's not that. Just guessing of course. I've seen people say that the Epi strings that new guitars come with aren't very good, so I'm thinking I'll switch them out before I go swapping humbuckers and whatnot. I wish I could find out more about my other guitar, what kind of pickups mainly, without taking it apart. Serial numbers only gave me when and where it was made.

I'm no luthier, but I might suggest releasing string tension even if you are lowering the bridge. Turning those things in either direction with all that pressure is enough to cause metal galling.

I would get a better amp if I was you.

I would get a better amp if I was you.

Why's that? I really can't turn it very loud since I have neighbors. I have noticed that it's impossible to get a clean sound through either Epi with this amp. As opposed to my friends where it was impossible to sound dirty straight through the amp.

Firstly, HNGD to you.

I'll try to answer all of you questions (though some have already been answered) [smile]

The G-400 is an SG. Gibson calls it the SG, Epi calls it G-400 for a full body SG and G-310 for a smaller bodied SG.

They are all SGs though.

So, the bridge pickup sounds thin.

And you are trying to sound like someone else.

You have been playing for six months then here's news for you.

You will not sound like Good Riddance.

The tone that you are looking for requires his guitar, his amp, his pedals, his mix and sound engineer, his fingers and his brain.

You can get close if you decide to get everything gear wise that he has.

But for the rest...

So, the suggestion for a different amp makes sense.

It isn't about power and I understand that you have neighbours and so you can't let it rip with a 100w stack.

But there are alternatives out there.

You currently have a solid state amp, which is good enough to play indoors and it really is great fun, but a valve amp will (unfortunately) make a difference.

I always wanted a Marshall JCM900 but it wouldn't make any sense as I don't gig and I play in a room in an apartement.

Also, most Marshall amps are not supposed to be played "clean", because they don't clean up that well.

You'd probably need a Marshall valve amp in order for it to clean up.

Most guitar players, and quite a few in this forum have more than one amp, some for dirt others for clean.

Finally, I would suggest playing around with the volume and tone knobs and with your amp settings until you find a better sound.

And yes, new strings will also make a difference.

Do bear in mind that 9s will sound thinner than 10s.

If, after all this you are still unsatisfied, then I would suggest, to try different amps (in your price bracket) and really see whether there are any real differences. If you still feel that your amp is fine, than I would suggest changing the internals (capacitators, etc) before changing pickups.

You will notice a considerable change.

I decided to change all the electronics on my Goth G-400 for DiMarzio pickups and newer pots and all.

The difference was night and day, especially for the neck pickup which cleaned up, whilst the bridge got some more definition.

Hope you don't feel I'm being patronizing in any way, just trying to help out.

In any case, good luck in your pursuit of tone (we all do [smile] ).

Thanks. And no, you don't sound patronizing. I appreciate any advice, as I'm just trying to absorb as much information as I can at this point.

You say changing the electronics makes a difference in the sound? Which electronics exactly? Just curious at this point.

I was playing last night for a couple hours through a tube screamer and I really started liking how it was sounding. I also put some Dunlop lemon oil on the fret board, and that made a huge difference in how it played. I got my strings all oily, but it was totally worth it. Besides I plan on changing the strings this weekend anyway. Can you recommend something? Otherwise I'll just go with the Regular Slinkys I bought last time. No clue what different sized/brands of strings do for sound.

I'll have to read up on the different kinds of amps available. If anything I would probably buy another Marshall as I'm really not after a clean sound, and when I am I use the Stratocaster. But, I have to pay this guitar off before I go spending more money.

I was playing last night for a couple hours through a tube screamer and I really started liking how it was sounding. I also put some Dunlop lemon oil on the fret board, and that made a huge difference in how it played. I got my strings all oily, but it was totally worth it. Besides I plan on changing the strings this weekend anyway. Can you recommend something? Otherwise I'll just go with the Regular Slinkys I bought last time. No clue what different sized/brands of strings do for sound.

I'll have to read up on the different kinds of amps available. If anything I would probably buy another Marshall as I'm really not after a clean sound, and when I am I use the Stratocaster. But, I have to pay this guitar off before I go spending more money.

I wouldn't recommend conditioning the fretboard with lemon oil without taking off the strings - first of all, instructions say to apply it PARALLEL to the frets, second - I'm not sure if oil is good for strings - it's not a string conditioner after all. If you want your fingers to slide better along the strings I'd recommend GHS Fast-Fret, BUT I do not use it myself, as some guys here told me it would grease rosewood.

As for string recommendations, standard gauge Epi nuts on solid bodies are cut for is 10-46. My preference is Rotosound Pure Nickels, but they give a twangy sound, and I'm not sure that's what you're after.

And concerning the amp - get yourself a low-wattage tube (valve) amp. It won't be too loud, and the sound would be nicer than of a solid-state (transistor). And if you still decide to get a solid-state amp, I'd stay away from Marshalls MG, as I've heard them getting not-so-good reviews. From the solid-state selection I could recommend Roland Cube 20XL - a definite bang for the buck, if, of course, you need all the digital effects it has.

There you go.

TTL pretty much covered it [smile]

Electronics, I meant capacitors and potentiometers, for example, that can improove the sound over all (500k pots for example).

Just one last point in strings.

I think that it comes down to personal preference.

It really is a question of trying different strings as you go along.

To be honest with you, it took me a few years until I figured that I prefered Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46 on my electrics whereas on my acoustics my favourite strings were Martin Marquis Bronze Wound 12s (which I haven't been able to find for at least the last 10 years or so around where I live, and 12s are really hard to play on, so my only acoustic has 10s just can't remember the brand at the moment.)

I have to say, and I think that pretty much every experienced player here will tell you that, tone changes over the course of your life.

It certainly has changed for me.

In the early nineties, it was either a Marshall/Slash thing or a sort of Mesa Booggie Dual Rectifier thing for ultra heavy riffing à la Mettalica.

At another point in time it morphed into a more Dream Theater type of sound, very heavy and very controlled with a lot of bottom end (too much of it).

Now, I'm looking at a valve amp that can vary between a fairly clean sound, through a slightly dirty blues sound, through a sixties and seventies plexy, through 80's hard rock and full on 90's metal and that I can play in a room in an appartment, without breaking the bank, so that I can play some classic rock and the occasional metal and prog stuff. I found it in the Marshall haze 15w head and cab. Just can't buy it right now, but I'll get it within the next 6 months.

I'm sure the lemon oil isn't meant for the strings, but it was the fret board that my fingers were sticking to, probably because it was so filthy. I kind of just rubbed it on each fret with a towel trying my best to push the strings out of the way. I'm going to go back to Sam Ash to get some new strings this weekend, and I want to ask them why I didn't receive any of this stuff with the guitar.

I watched a video demo of that Cube amp. Looks pretty nice, and I'm definitely digging the effects. I actually saw a little Peavey like that on Craigslist going for $75 or something. My friend has a Roland Micro Cube, but it isn't working so unfortunately I can't try it. I have been looking around a bit at amps, and one thing that came to mind is the fact that I'll be playing with other people sooner rather than later, and I want to make sure whatever I buy is going to be loud enough for that. I do mainly just play in my apartment for now, but basically I want to get something that will be somewhat future-proof. Can you think of anything else in the $1-200 neighborhood that might be appropriate? The cube 40XL and 80XL look nice, but again I don't know if they'll get loud enough if I ever need them to. Too many choices! It's overwhelming.

I'm sure the lemon oil isn't meant for the strings, but it was the fret board that my fingers were sticking to, probably because it was so filthy. I kind of just rubbed it on each fret with a towel trying my best to push the strings out of the way. I'm going to go back to Sam Ash to get some new strings this weekend, and I want to ask them why I didn't receive any of this stuff with the guitar.

I watched a video demo of that Cube amp. Looks pretty nice, and I'm definitely digging the effects. I actually saw a little Peavey like that on Craigslist going for $75 or something. My friend has a Roland Micro Cube, but it isn't working so unfortunately I can't try it. I have been looking around a bit at amps, and one thing that came to mind is the fact that I'll be playing with other people sooner rather than later, and I want to make sure whatever I buy is going to be loud enough for that. I do mainly just play in my apartment for now, but basically I want to get something that will be somewhat future-proof. Can you think of anything else in the $1-200 neighborhood that might be appropriate? The cube 40XL and 80XL look nice, but again I don't know if they'll get loud enough if I ever need them to. Too many choices! It's overwhelming.

Before applying lemon oil I think you should've bettered rubber the filth off the fretboard. You can do it with a credit card.

In your mentioned price range I think you can also have a look at VOX VT series - these amps have a tube preamp, and definitely sound pretty loud. Played around with a VT30 one day, and it was a pleasant experience.

Before applying lemon oil I think you should've bettered rubber the filth off the fretboard. You can do it with a credit card.

In your mentioned price range I think you can also have a look at VOX VT series - these amps have a tube preamp, and definitely sound pretty loud. Played around with a VT30 one day, and it was a pleasant experience.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm starting to think I may just return this guitar. I'm really not happy with the sound, and I have no way of knowing if it's the amp, strings, ect. It looks great, but who cares if it doesn't sound good. Eh. I'm torn. Last night the fret board started buzzing as well, which is extremely annoying. I feel like a brand new guitar shouldn't have all these issues.

Archived