Gibson Brands Forums

Largest neck profile?

DaveCase

Hi, I was wondering if someone from Gibson could chime in to let me know which of their acoustics has the largest neck profile? I've played a 1942 J45 Legend, which is a great profile for me, but the cost is a little out of my range. Is there another Gibson acoustic which has a similar neck profile? Basically, I'm looking for a 1 3/4" nut or the standard Gibson 1.725" nut with a "U" shaped neck profile. Not really looking for a "V" as I need more wood on the neck shoulders to support and fill my hand better.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Dave, the neck on my Fuller's Reissue J-35 is 1 3/4", C shaped and pretty darn chunky. Never played or owned a modern Gibson with a neck this big. Reminds me of a wonderful bannerhead '45 that was my main guitar for about 15 years many moons ago.

Dave, I have two J-45s from 1993. They were made months apart, yet the necks couldn't be more different.

One is low profile and the other is like a tree, with a D profile. I asked Gibson about this recently and they answered

that it is due to the nature of being hand made! Of course, I don't believe that! I don't know about consistency in todays instrument,

but I suspect it will be better.

Cameleye is spot on.The J-35's coming from Fullers have the larger,deeper D profile.This is as requested by Fullers'to adhere to desired features they want on their special order models.That said,this profile is the best I've ever had on a Gibson Montana.Very close to the neck on my 59' SJ.I have large hands but the heft seems to relax my grip,and hence less strain when playing.My J-200 TV Ltd,sadly does not have a hefty neck,as I hoped when buying unseen.And oddly when I think of it,I have never played a 200 with a neck of any great difference.If you were to ask Fullers,I am sure they would get you what you want,and their 35's are just outstandingly consistent IMO.

Cameleye is spot on.The J-35's coming from Fullers have the larger,deeper D profile.This is as requested by Fullers'to adhere to desired features they want on their special order models.That said,this profile is the best I've ever had on a Gibson Montana.Very close to the neck on my 59' SJ.I have large hands but the heft seems to relax my grip,and hence less strain when playing.My J-200 TV Ltd,sadly does not have a hefty neck,as I hoped when buying unseen.And oddly when I think of it,I have never played a 200 with a neck of any great difference.If you were to ask Fullers,I am sure they would get you what you want,and their 35's are just outstandingly consistent IMO.

Thanks, everyone - I'm calling Fuller's tomorrow as their Gibson inventory isn't listed online. I have a HummingbirdTV, which sounds great, but just like your SJ, doesn't have the big neck...

Dave, I have two J-45s from 1993. They were made months apart, yet the necks couldn't be more different.

One is low profile and the other is like a tree, with a D profile. I asked Gibson about this recently and they answered that it is due to the nature of being hand made! Of course, I don't believe that!

Why not? In '93, necks were carved by hand, and varied a lot. That big a difference was no doubt intentional, but wasn't necessarily due to a "design change". In the early years up in Bozeman, they weren't really striving for consistency, but were taking advantage of the fact that the guitars were hand-built to give people a wider range of choices.

I don't know about consistency in todays instrument,

but I suspect it will be better.

As a rule, necks are roughed out by CNC machines these days. It's slower and more expensive, but increases consistency and solves the problem that doing neck carving in an assembly line setting results in repetitive stress injuries.

-- Bob R

The Gibson F-25 from the 60's has a classical guitar sized neck, about as big as you can get. That "baseball bat" neck, 2" at the nut, it's the widest steel string neck I've ever seen.

Thanks, Grampa - I'm really looking for front to back thickness - not necessarily the nut width. I ordered a Fuller's J-35 - we'll see how that works out...

My Gibson L-20 special (L-00 size) has 1 13/16 nut, and a modified "V" shape.....very nice

L-20Front.jpg

That's a beauty! The J-35 from Fullers arrived and it's exactly what I was looking for - thanks to all for the recommendations! Now I just need to put a pickup in it...

Archived