Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Strings

unclemac

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm expecting an Advanced Jumbo to arrive in the brown van, possibly today, and I'm pretty excited about it. I could use some good advice on string selection: namely, are mediums OK on this guitar? I can't find any info on how the factory strings them. I'm a flatpicker and use mediums on my D-35, and like them. More to the point, I have a bunch of medium sets around. (80/20's and PB's) Thanks.

welcome to the forum and congrats on an amazing, new guitar. you have chosen a beauty and yes, i'd go with the mediums, as well. the AJ is a beast and almost requires a heavier gauge. i hope the ups truck mistakenly stop here though! i've been lusting after one for a while now. there is a tonne of great advice to be had here. please post picks and a review when you two get settled.

Your getting a great Gibby with your new AJ, enjoy it. Mediums are fine to use. Mine had mediums on when I first got it and they produced a very LOUD and responsive sound. I believe the guy was using Elixir's which is also my favorite brand. I am primarily a fingerstyle player so I keep Elixir 12-54's on it now. I personally prefer the 80/20's over the PB's on my Gibson but use PB's on my Taylor 612C and my Legato Lutherie Custom Dread. The PB's bring a more woody tone to the Maple and Walnut backed guitars while the 80/20's just shine with the AJ's Rosewood. They tend to brighten up the guitar more but still not bright like the Maple or Walnut which is what I like as the tone is so different on all three.

Make sure you post photos when you get the AJ.... I love seeing them, even when they belong to someone else.

One other quick suggestion... I replaced the plastic bridge pins with double inlay bone pins ($30.00) from Bob Colosi Guitar Saddles. http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Size 2A's were perfect and very reasonable. The increased sustain and somewhat brighter trebils were very noticble to me. Here is a shot of how nice they look on the AJ.......

PICT3326.jpg

And here is a great computer wallpaper that all AJ owners should have on their desktop.....

GibsonAJadv.jpg

Congrats! [-o<

Thanks for the warm welcomes and sound advice.

The message I'm getting is that mediums are great with the AJ.

Assuming that when it arrives it will be strung with lights, I'll check the action

when I restring.

I'll review and post some pix as soon as I figure out how.

And Paul, I will be switching out the plastic pins. Those Bob Colosi ones in

your picture looked real nice.

Thanks again. I like this place a lot already.

Welcome to the forum and the AJ club.

I play my AJ at least one hour each day and I am perfectly happy with light gauge strings, but with high tension cores. I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and they produce excellent tone and feel. The setup from the factory on my AJ was a bit high, but I have maintained it in order to keep the volume that string height produces.

Mediums on an AJ would make it difficult for me to play finger style. As a strummer, I would imagine mediums might make the guitar a bit too loud and a bit too strong in tone. I see the same as you, that many people here play mediums and support that approach, but I just wanted to share my differing opinion with you to encourage you to try the high tension lights before buying a pack of boa constrictors (my name for mediums).

I just purchased my AJ last month. I've used D'Addario EJ19's Bluegrass strings for years on all my Martins after trying just about everything else on the market. After getting my AJ I therefore immediately changed the strings to EJ19's. The AJ seemed to loose some tone and was definitely not as easy to play. I then put on some DR Sunbeam Mediums (which are really light gauge) and the AJ came alive and playability was enhanced. My AJ is a Master Archetype Custom with Mad/Adi tonewoods and different neck profile. It has a really low action compared to the regular AJ's. and this may account for the preference for lighter gauage strings on this guitar--I normally dislike light strings. The DR Sunbeams are a round core string and are touted as more flexible and easier to finger--I certainly like them so far. They may become my go to strings.

I have heard that the DR Sunbeams are great strings and at a VERY reasonable cost. I should try them as well as the suggestion for the John Pearse PB's. I am very happy with my Light Gauge Elixirs but prior to Elixirs I used John Pearse on everything. Maybe it's time to try something new.....

I agree that volume may be increased with mediums, but as a fingerstyle player who likes to bend on the blues, light gauge always works best for my style of play. I had my favorite luthier, Marty at the Podium in Minneapolis, do a setup on my AJ after I got it. It is a 2005 that I got about a year ago in a trade. The action was higher than I like, (I am very used to my Taylor's very low action) and he tweeked it just right. It is slightly higher than my Taylor but I still love the way it feels and plays now especially in 1st position chords. The nut needed just a little filing to be perfect for me.

As for Bob Colosi, you will be amazed at the service he provides. When you call his phone there is a great chance you will talk with Bob personally as I think the only person he has working with him is his girlfriend and he handles most everything personally. He will likely tell you that Gibson pins can vary on size but almost everyone I have heard from says that size 2A almost always fits perfectly. If they are slightly too big you can use some 100 grit sandpaper to gently twist the pin in and make it fit perfectly. Mine all fit fine when I got the pins. If I had the $ I would have gotten the FWI pins cause they just look soooo cool and vintage.

Archived