Gibson Brands Forums

ZT3 Trem nuts...

dsh27

Has anyone had any problems with the "Hex nuts" that raise the jaw up and down on each string? I just purchased a Zt3 and when I attempted to set the trans trem, I stripped the nut for the high E string as well as the D string. The metal seems too soft. Gibson is sending me a couple of new nuts but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thanks

DSH27

Thanks for responding. I did try to use another alan/hex wrench and that seemed to have the same problem....it was the same size which if off just a little, will strip it. I will look for a better fitting wrench. I was able to turn some of them without stripping which is why this issue is bothering me so much. Hopefully the new nuts Gibson is sending me will work and the problem will be resolved. Thanks again.

dsh

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just got a new ZT3 and I noticed this too. It seems to me it's not a matter of "softness" but rather, these 'jaw height' screws weren't machined properly and the female hex heads are a little too big. I asked Gibson for new ones because the "B" jaw height screw is beginning to wedge and strip and I assume the others will follow. The 5/64" (I think that's the size) hex wrench fits fine in the Combo Headpiece set screws (for the plain ends of single ball strings) and the tops of the 40:1 tuners, so it's not the wrench. The next hex wrench size up in English (3/32") and Metric (2.5mm) measurements are too big. I'll see if the new ones will show any improvement. Maybe this will be fixed on the ZT4!! In the mean time, the best thing to do is hold the wrench at a slightly lower angle to try and take up the extra space inside the hex head while turning and to take it REAL slow.

Archived