Gibson Brands Forums

Lookin for a song to play...

rocknout89

hey guys,

I just formed a band with a couple of my buddies at school and my umgd roommate and we're thinkin about playing this song Trashcan by this band Delta Spirit that I just got onto not too long ago after listenin to it on their imeem.com/deltaspirit page. but the thing is that one of the dudes at my school is kind of a beginner playing on the guitar so we're trying to figure out if we should do this song or not. It's a nice jam though, but what do you guys think? is the song too complex? also another problem is that not all of the guys mesh when we're jammin together and i guess the video I found about how Delta Spirit deals with these problems kinda helped... not to say that we have to sound like Delta Spirit or anything....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ocDGg-8eY

what do you guys think? is the song too complex?

John

I don't even need to hear the song to tell you that the complexity of the song dosen't matter. If the "dude" in your band puts forth the effort, he can learn it. I could play Classical Gas after the first two months of picking up a guitar. Of course, take into consideration that was all I ever practiced. People thought I'd been playing for years but when they asked me to play something else, I couldn't because that was the only song I knew.

As to your band mates not meshing. If it's personality conflicts, forget it...it's over. I've been in numerous bands over the years and egos will kill a band faster than anything else.

If you're not meshing musicly you need to make sure everyone has the same goal. If most of the band wants to play Rock and you have one guy that would rather be playing Jazz you are going to have problems sooner or later.

If the band's just not sounding good. Then you'll need more practice and by practice I mean PRACTICE, not hanging around partying and attempting to play a couple of songs. The hardest part of starting a band is getting it up off the ground.

is this an indirect ad for this band you mention? someone posted a thread about a month ago asking what guitar buddy in this band was playing. i checked out the link and enjoyed the song very much. later on, though, it occured to me that i may have just been taken. it would be wise to first establish a genuine rapport among forum members, otherwise you're hovering very close to spam territory.

is this an indirect ad for this band you mention? someone posted a thread about a month ago asking what guitar buddy in this band was playing. i checked out the link and enjoyed the song very much. later on' date=' though, it occured to me that i may have just been taken. it would be wise to first establish a genuine rapport among forum members, otherwise you're hovering very close to spam territory.[/quote']

Hey Cunk.... I agree and it is a good thing you have a genuine rapport on the forum or people might question your avitar! LOL!!!

=P~

Archived