Gibson Brands Forums

post your 1950's gibsons!

ivxxlxxxv

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking to buy a 1950-1959 Gibson Es-175. I am looking for one with just a single P-90.

Gibson switched to humbuckers in early '57.

Be patient and wait for the right guitar. They made a TON of ES-175's with P-90's.

This is a 1958 Gibson C-6 Richard Pick model. It was likely the 30th one ever made. Brazilian RW sides and back, mahogany neck, radiused(!) ebony fingerboard. It was a factory reject and would have gone in the dumpster if the R&D dept hadn't needed a guinea pig or two. The fingerboard is made from a scrap piece of ebony that had bad fret slots cut and then flipped over to have new slots cut. The top is wrinkled, like the vaccuum clamp was too aggressive and distorted the top. It was nonetheless assembled and sprayed with a thick experimental finish that is very much like the Italian guitars of the 60s (Vox, etc). Very thick brittle candy apple finish that cracked severely within a few days, according to the prior owner. The neck has no finish at all. It was given (or sold cheaply) to banjoist Eddie Collins right from the factory; it never went to a dealer. It was in his family until a few years ago when I bought it.

It's a wreck but I will die with this guitar.

c6h.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK.....I got to ask, what do you use to get those sweet photos uploaded to this site ?

Thanks for any help

C6- love to have one. impossible to find

'57 lG 1 Doesn't get much better, only different

OK.....I got to ask, what do you use to get those sweet photos uploaded to this site ?

Thanks for any help

C6- love to have one. impossible to find

'57 lG 1 Doesn't get much better, only different

Thanks for the compliment on my 57 LG-1. Use photobucket to store your pictures and then link to them.

Archived