Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

Portland punk legends Poison Idea... and playing along with the "Use your illusion" double set.

I always loved Guns, but never really took the time to figure out the Slash-isms on the albums, and it's really interesting how so much of it is rooted in chord notes. E.g., figure out the "guitar themes" in "Estranged". All chord notes for want of a better word. Maybe "an arpeggio where he only plays choice notes" is more on the ball.

What's even more interesting is how it all obviously comes from learning the fundamentals before learning anything else - particularly since that was not the M.O. of a lot of his peers in L.A. at the time. That's not putting them down - each to their own.

But as I get older, and have gotten more serious about my own playing, it's fascinating to realize just how grounded he is in the rock 'n roll basics - chords and scales - and how he still found his very own voice utilizing fundamental blues-based rock playing.

Great phrasing and vibrato - or bends, rather - help, of course.

It's been said before, of course, but it's absolutely wonderful guitar playing, and if you're like me - have heard the songs ad infinitum, but haven't sat down with them... I highly recommend it!