Gibson Brands Forums

what's in it for the artist?

gearbasher

Cunk's topic: "while we're on the topic...." http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6636

Got me thinking.

I was going to hi-jack his thread, but, Lord knows, I 've already done my share of hi-jacking. And, I once again, apologize (with a z) for all those occurrences.

His thread is about The Kristofferson SJ sig. model. What do you think the artsists get out of their sig. model? I could see Kristofferson saying: "Go ahead use my name on a limited run and send a donation for every instrument towards my charity."

But, what about artists like Slash, ELH, Sheryl Crow, et.al.?

Any ideas (whether they are facts, guesses or wild speculation) as to what the artist gets in return? Free instruments? A flat fee for their name? A percentage of each instrument sold?

It is up to each individual artist to negotiate exactly what they get out of the deal, but the usual is a flat signing bonus, a few free guitars and a standard fee for each signed label that goes out the door.

The artist also usually makes extra money if their image or name is used in company advertising. This royalty works on a per-use basis.

Archived