Gibson Brands Forums

Caring for my new Gibson Faded SG Special

namedos

I have a problem with my Sg Faded as in it gets cuts and scratches in the satin finish quite easily. (Just putting that out there =P~)

All of them are like that. So just be easy on it when you do alternate picking and be careful not to go outside of the pickguard. Sometimes that's hard, and sometimes it's simply unavoidable. But at least it doesn't have that stupid "jazz pickguard". And to namedos, if you haven't already, buy a hardshell case for your new SG. And if you're not using your SG for even a somewhat long period of time, put it in it's hardshell case. The guitar stands are only supposed to be for temporary storage. Not several days on end. Because it can mess with the nitrocellulose finish on your SG, and Gibson's warranty doesn't cover that.

My faded is all scratched up, Not in a disasterous way, just some hair scratches on the back, some knicks on the front below the pickguard, and some of the color has worn away from playing. It still sounds great, feels great and plays as well or better than the day i brought it home.

I say, keep it clean, keep it from getting broken in half, and play the thing.

I have a problem with my Sg Faded as in it gets cuts and scratches in the satin finish quite easily. (Just putting that out there :-k)

You might want to ask a knowledgable guitar shop person about what's good for handling scratches on your Faded. I use GHS guitar gloss on my Standard's nitro finish every month or two and it does an amazing job of removing or at least minimizing scratches that I occassionally get no matter how careful I am. I also use a light spritz of Gibson pump polish on a microfiber cloth to wipe mine down after each session. That does a lot to keep skin oils, prints from staying on permanently. Just don't get too anal about it and accept a little wear and tear over time just shows you play it!

Archived