Gibson Brands Forums

Can't get splinter out of finger. Help!

Lungimsam

Every time I do a set up on my basses I get a metal sliver in my finger while playing afterwards.

The kind you can feel, but not see.

Any one know any tricks to getting it out?

I have tried:

Duct tape

Tweezers

Meddling around with a pin

Magnifying glass- but cant see it.

Every time I do a set up on my basses I get a metal sliver in my finger while playing afterwards.

The kind you can feel, but not see.

Any one know any tricks to getting it out?

I have tried:

Duct tape

Tweezers

Meddling around with a pin

Magnifying glass- but cant see it.

I get them all the time since I work in a machine shop. I fine point needle is all that ever works for me. Sometimes I have to dig a hole many times bigger than the actual sliver just to extract it [cursing]

What I want to know is why you get these after setting up your bass? :-k

I don't know why, but my guess is one of two things:

1. Slivers from screwheads or from cheap feeler guage after running it between string and fret.

2. Fragments of steel wool used (unbeknownst to me) by a tech in the past.

I would never steel wool a fingerboard. Maybe my tech guy did in the past.

Are you sure it's a sliver and not just dry skin? Dry skin from exposure to certain metals and woods can make your skin feel like it's got a sliver or splinter in it to the touch but there's nothing physical there.

I had a wood splinter in my foot when I was a kid that I got from a pool deck, because it was wet and I decided to shuffle along the boards. Ended up with a splinter in the middle of my foot, while on vacation to cottage country PEI. My mom was dating my now Stepdad at the time.

Poor Bas*ard, I was screaming so loudly in this cottage surrounded by other cottages in a quiet country area that the other cottage go-ers thought they were murdering me. My soon to be step-dad outside with three cigarettes in his hand, trying to relax, waiving to the other guests while my mom dug around my foot with tweezers.

Good times.

The only tweezers that were ever worth a darn were made with two flat strips of stainless steel, connected at the butt end with a cylindrical spacer. Then the two tapered halves were squeezed together, then a very sharp point was ground in the two joined tips. This will dig out the smallest sliver. They used to be sold everywhere. I heard they went out of business. I bought one like it with an magnifying glass attached at a swap meet. The guy had dozens. It was branded as a Fiskars, you know the scissors people.

Good luck finding one.

These look similar: http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Tweezers+with+Magnifier.aspx?keyword=ca+thefind , but they don't appear to have had their tips ground to a point.

You think the sliver is coming from the new strings? Is it possible you impaled yourself with a string end? (not likely, though as big as bass strings are)

Maybe you need a better brand of strings.

Are you sure it's a sliver and not just dry skin? Dry skin from exposure to certain metals and woods can make your skin feel like it's got a sliver or splinter in it to the touch but there's nothing physical there.

I had a wood splinter in my foot when I was a kid that I got from a pool deck, because it was wet and I decided to shuffle along the boards. Ended up with a splinter in the middle of my foot, while on vacation to cottage country PEI. My mom was dating my now Stepdad at the time.

Poor Bas*ard, I was screaming so loudly in this cottage surrounded by other cottages in a quiet country area that the other cottage go-ers thought they were murdering me. My soon to be step-dad outside with three cigarettes in his hand, trying to relax, waiving to the other guests while my mom dug around my foot with tweezers.

Good times.

I do have eczema on my hands, so maybe there is something to that.

Remember, when pulling a splinter out of bottom of foot - pull as fast as possible. Slowly pulling makes it hurt - alot! I found this out when pulling out a nail in my foot. Tried to pull slow and it was terrible. My friend yanked it really fast and I didn't even feel it when it came right out.

Victory!!! It is out, whatever it was. I can play again. I am so happy. I don't know why this happens so much.

I scrutinized my fingertip under magnifier for 20 minutes today in the sunlight and could see nothing. I used the pin trick and started lightly pulling up areas of suspect skin (the areas that hurt when I ran my finger over it).

Whatever was in there seems out now.

Thanks for the great tips everyone! I will keep them in mind the next time this happens. Hopefully others can also benefit from all the wisdom and tips you imparted in this thread!

Archived