Gibson Guitar Board: Replacing SG standard HB's with P90s? - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Replacing SG standard HB's with P90s?

#1 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hello, can you easily replace the Humbuckers on a SG standard with P90s? I'm thinking to just replace the entire Standard pickguard with humbuckers with a Classic pickguard containing P90s (can you get these prewired, by the way?) Is this as easy as it sounds..?

#2 User is offline   Fringe Lunatic 

  • BANNED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 331
  • Joined: 05-December 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

I dunno whether the routing in your SG will accept P90s or not - some woodwork may be necessary. But since you said "easily", have you considered humbucker-size P90s, like Phat Cats, P94s, etc.?
If you don't like your guitar's tone, get a new amp

#3 User is offline   SG FAN 

  • The artist formerly known as SG FAN 420
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1063
  • Joined: 22-June 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

It's possible, but it ain't easy. Woodwork(routing) is needed.
Guitars:
08 SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Fender FSR Ash Telecaster (1 of 150)

"We sold our soul for Rock N' Roll"- Black Sabbath

#4 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Yes, I've considered the humbucker-sized options you're mentioning, but I've read both positive and negative things about these, plus I like the look of real P-90s better.. But why would routing be necessary, then? The P-90s are overall smaller than humbuckers in size, aren't they?

#5 User is offline   strat-o-steve 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 532
  • Joined: 18-December 10
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Just trade your SG Standard for a SG Classic with the p-90's. Once you remove wood, it is permanent and will always effect the value of an instrument.

#6 User is offline   Weatherking 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Check out this thread from last month -- it compares the Classic and Standard pickguards as well as how a Standard pg fits over the routs of a Classic. Things don't line up (neither the pickup holes nor the bridge post holes). Can't imagine it would work the other way around, as you're hoping.

#7 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Ok, thanks, guys, now I understand that this wasn't as easy as I thought/hoped.. Maybe I should just get a Classic instead, then.. Too bad this isn't as easy to find, plus it doesn't have the trapezoid fingerboard inlays that look so good on the standard..

#8 User is offline   SG FAN 

  • The artist formerly known as SG FAN 420
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1063
  • Joined: 22-June 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

View PostWeatherking, on 05 March 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Check out this thread from last month -- it compares the Classic and Standard pickguards as well as how a Standard pg fits over the routs of a Classic. Things don't line up (neither the pickup holes nor the bridge post holes). Can't imagine it would work the other way around, as you're hoping.

If you would have read the entire post, you would see that the standard pickguard he had wasn't correct, and the classic and standard pickguards are the same, exept for the pickup holes. You will have to route out some wood, but It can be done.
Guitars:
08 SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Fender FSR Ash Telecaster (1 of 150)

"We sold our soul for Rock N' Roll"- Black Sabbath

#9 User is offline   stein 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6375
  • Joined: 09-February 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

on you tube there is a video of lollar himself doing that exact same pup change on an sg.

#10 User is offline   Weatherking 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

View PostSG FAN, on 05 March 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

If you would have read the entire post


Yeah, I guess that would have helped... ](*,)

#11 User is offline   BigKahune 

  • Just plain Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10861
  • Joined: 01-January 09
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

.
This kind of stuff is why a lot of us have more than one guitar. B)
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV....O11 RainSong JM-3000 12-string
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE....................O10 Gibson ES-359......................o10 Rickenbacker 360 12-string
09 Jackson PC-1.....................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS..ooO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD........................oO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster.....08 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone...................o07 Guild F412 12-sting..............oo07 Taylor NS74ce
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.....................o98 Martin D-45VR.....................oo97 Guild X-700 Stuart
73 Yamaha G-55A......................................65 Gibson Melody Maker..............Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab)
Keyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220............................................................................o Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider

#12 User is offline   Lungimsam 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1014
  • Joined: 23-October 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

If you hit the lotto, you could order one up from the CS with trapezoid inlays.
I know the feeling of wanting certain specs that you can't get. But the dots can be just as sweet as trapezoids if you give em a chance.

#13 User is offline   DiamondJig 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 769
  • Joined: 09-October 08

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

If you read that thread someone posted a site with PDF files of the correct pick guards, you can print them out and overlay them on each other and your guitar to see how much work is needed. The humbucker is wider and shorter than a P90 so it may fit without any more routing because of the extra wood that is routed out for the pickup adjusting screws on the humbucker. There is def work to be done to go from a P90 to Humbucker because of the width.

The guitar that Lollar is working on is an Epi SG and I believe he is also using stacked P90 that need routing even on a P90 SG because they are thicker than a normal P90.

If you do go with the P90's and a Classic PG, the biggest problem I see will be with the mounting, to use the PG mounting screws you need to make a base for the P90 and if you go with the normal P90 mounting 2 screws thru the pickup into the guitar body, watch the depth of the holes, last thing you want is to screw or drill a hole thru the bottom of the body. Gibson will not sell you any of there mounting bases.

Checkout this thread on the new faded classic http://forum.gibson....-classic-faded/ great price and you may get it even cheaper with a GC or MF coupon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gibson Angus Young SG Ebony (57 & Angus Young)
Gibson SG Standard LTD Robot Metallic Green (490R & 498T)
Gibson SG 61 RI Heritage Cherry (57 & Angus Young)
Gibson SG 61 RI Satin Ebony (57 & BB3 with a Alnico V mag)
Gibson SG Diablo Premium Plus Ice Tea (BB pro's)
Gibson SG Standard Honey Burst Coil-Splitting (BB1 & BB3 with Alico V mag)
Gibson SG Standard 24 AMS Limited Edition Ebony (Firebird X Mini & Iommi)
Gibson 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend SG Alpine White (P90 & P90)
Gibson SG Classic P90's Heritage Cherry (P90 & P90)
Gibson Melody Maker SG Satin Blue (491T)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional PRO Wine Red (57 & 57)
Gibson Les Paul Studio LTD Robot Metallic Green (490R & 498T)
Washburn IDOL WI64
Brownsville IS700
Angelica 940 Acoustic
Brownsville BatFlame Bass
Laguna LAB5CEBUB Acoustic Bass
Marshall Vintage Modern 2 x 12 50 watt combo 2266CB
Marshall JMD:1 50 watt Head
Marshall JCM2000 TSL601 2 x 12 60 watt combo
Marshall JCM2000 DSL40C 1 x 12 40 watt combo
Marshall SL5-C 12" 5 watt combo
Marshall JMP-1C (10" 1 watt combo)
Marshall Class 5H
Marshall TSLC212 2x12 extention cab Marshall/Celestion Heritage and Vintage
Marshall 425A 4x12 G12C's (Jimi Hendrix Special Edition Greenbacks)
Marshall MF280A over sized 4 x12 with Special Edition Vintage 30MF
VHT Special 6 Ultra 12" Combo
Digitech RP1000
THD Yellow Jackets converters with EL84's (converts any Class AB amp to Class A)

#14 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostDiamondJig, on 06 March 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

If you read that thread someone posted a site with PDF files of the correct pick guards, you can print them out and overlay them on each other and your guitar to see how much work is needed. The humbucker is wider and shorter than a P90 so it may fit without any more routing because of the extra wood that is routed out for the pickup adjusting screws on the humbucker. There is def work to be done to go from a P90 to Humbucker because of the width.

The guitar that Lollar is working on is an Epi SG and I believe he is also using stacked P90 that need routing even on a P90 SG because they are thicker than a normal P90.

If you do go with the P90's and a Classic PG, the biggest problem I see will be with the mounting, to use the PG mounting screws you need to make a base for the P90 and if you go with the normal P90 mounting 2 screws thru the pickup into the guitar body, watch the depth of the holes, last thing you want is to screw or drill a hole thru the bottom of the body. Gibson will not sell you any of there mounting bases.

Checkout this thread on the new faded classic http://forum.gibson....-classic-faded/ great price and you may get it even cheaper with a GC or MF coupon


Thanks for your very thorough answer! But I still think I might try to get me a Classic instead, and if I still want the trapezoid/dish inlays, I just discovered that you can actually buy self-adhesive ones here: www.inlaystickers.com
This might be considered "cheating", and I'm not sure how authentic these will look in real life, but I might give them a try, after all they cost only $6.50 for one set. They will probably not completely cover the Classic's dot inlays on the 12th fret, though..

#15 User is offline   EVOL! 

  • skim milk
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5064
  • Joined: 01-May 09
  • Locationsecret location behind the drive-by theatre

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

View Postrednebb, on 05 March 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

Hello, can you easily replace the Humbuckers on a SG standard with P90s? I'm thinking to just replace the entire Standard pickguard with humbuckers with a Classic pickguard containing P90s (can you get these prewired, by the way?) Is this as easy as it sounds..?


P-94s are one option. They are larger P-90s that are size matched to humbuckers. I put a P-94R in my SG. Dropped it right in with no routing.


Posted Image



Posted Image

__________________________________________________________________

TheBendingOfLight
If you think my guitar playing is bad, you should hear me sing

#16 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

Ok, , cool! But how does the P94 sound? I've heard various comments on these, some say they don't actually sound like real P90s..? And how does your combination with the P94 and the humbucker work when you're using both pickups together, and how is the balance between the pickups when used separately?

#17 User is offline   EVOL! 

  • skim milk
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5064
  • Joined: 01-May 09
  • Locationsecret location behind the drive-by theatre

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

View Postrednebb, on 07 March 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

Ok, , cool! But how does the P94 sound? I've heard various comments on these, some say they don't actually sound like real P90s..? And how does your combination with the P94 and the humbucker work when you're using both pickups together, and how is the balance between the pickups when used separately?


I like it a lot in the neck position. Kind of reminds me more of a neck pickup on a Jazzmaster. As far as how they compare to regular P-90s, I am not sure. I know Nick Valensi of The Strokes has P-94s in his Epiphone Riviera and they sound pretty tasty.

As far as the balance, it's not. The P-94 is a lot louder than the 57+ I have in the bridge so I roll the volume down some. Not sure if I wired it out of phase because it sounds thin when I have the toggle switch in the middle position (It's on my list of things to fix once I get a new soldering iron).

__________________________________________________________________

TheBendingOfLight
If you think my guitar playing is bad, you should hear me sing

#18 User is offline   rednebb 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 05-March 11

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

Ok, thanks for the info.

#19 User is offline   bobouz 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1976
  • Joined: 10-August 10

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

I recently purchased a P94R to drop into a LP Studio Plus. If you like everything else about your guitar as I do with this particular LP, it's a very reasonable way to go.
Gibsons: '22 "A" Mandolin / '66 ES 125T / '90 Tennessean / '00 J-100 Xtra
'02 J-45 Rosewood / '02 SG Faded-moon / '06 ES 335 / '09 ES 339
'10 ES 330L / '11 ES 335-P90s / '12 LP Tribute / '12 ES 330 VOS
'12 LP Special / '12 J-185 / '13 LG2 American Eagle / '14 J-15
Epis: '66 FT45n Cortez / '00 AIUSA-JLH 1964 Sheraton / '04 Peerless Casino
'05 Paul McCartney 1964 Texan / '09 Elitist Casino / '10 Valensi Riviera
'11 50th Anniversary 1961 Casino / EL-00 Pro / {Trinity: TM-475 Mandola}
Martins: '01 Custom Rosewood Dread / '09 OM-1

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users