Gibson Brands Forums

Post Pics of Your Baby

colin4195

Very nice. I did the same thing to my classic. I think it gives it a nice vintage look.

Doesn't it, though. And, it might just be the fact that the Vibramate puts it closer to the bridge but it seems a lot easier to use than other Bigsbys I've had on guitars.

PJ

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SG Special in faded brown. Threw in a few basic mods (Bigsby with Vibramate, roller bridge from Schaller, Black Graphtech nut, nickle pup covers and knob position indicators), but I'm looking into some serious hot-rodding. Been drooling over a set of over wound pups and push-pull pots to bust out a little coil-splitting. I might utilize the push-pull pots to throw in series/parallel switches. I'm not sure if I should get speed knobs (I love these ones, but don't think they'll be ideal to pull up on)... any ideas/comments welcome. rock on.post-41331-070192900 1331000669_thumb.jpg

SG Special in faded brown. Threw in a few basic mods (Bigsby with Vibramate, roller bridge from Schaller, Black Graphtech nut, nickle pup covers and knob position indicators), but I'm looking into some serious hot-rodding. Been drooling over a set of over wound pups and push-pull pots to bust out a little coil-splitting. I might utilize the push-pull pots to throw in series/parallel switches. I'm not sure if I should get speed knobs (I love these ones, but don't think they'll be ideal to pull up on)... any ideas/comments welcome. rock on.post-41331-070192900 1331000669_thumb.jpg

Looks fantastic!

Mine was second hand and came with a tortured nut. I tried to have this repaired at a local guitar shop but they didn't like their chances of removing the old one and so reconstructed it and now it serves well. Down the line I'll reinvestigate this and put a Tusq nut on or something like it. For now I just use the Planet Waves lube. Nice roller bridge, too.

Black speed knobs would be good there. So would top hat reflectors.

Put another pic up if you change it.

PJ

Looks fantastic!

Mine was second hand and came with a tortured nut. I tried to have this repaired at a local guitar shop but they didn't like their chances of removing the old one and so reconstructed it and now it serves well. Down the line I'll reinvestigate this and put a Tusq nut on or something like it. For now I just use the Planet Waves lube. Nice roller bridge, too.

Black speed knobs would be good there. So would top hat reflectors.

Put another pic up if you change it.

PJ

I was a little worried about removing the nut at first, but after a little research it seemed like a pretty easy task. Had to tap the side of the nut with a small punch and hammer and it came loose. The new nut needed minor trimming for height but fit like a charm. Used a small amount of wood putty to fill any micro gaps between the nut and guitar (seems to make a more solid connection for sustaining the vibes). Ever since I threw it on there's been ZERO bindage, like the nut isn't even there when tuning. The graphtech nuts are evenly hard throughout so the vibes aren't lost and the tone increase is noticeable... I'm kind of obsessed with modding this thing, so I'll make sure to take more pics when I get the time

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up from Guitar Center last Tuesday, it is a 2012 (made March 15th 2012) '61 reissue.

I really like it.

Just getting back into guitars again after having sold my '73 Les Paul Deluxe back in '86, and have not really played since around '81 after I got married.

9.jpg

6.jpg

Just picked this up from Guitar Center last Tuesday, it is a 2012 (made March 15th 2012) '61 reissue.

I really like it.

Just getting back into guitars again after having sold my '73 Les Paul Deluxe back in '86, and have not really played since around '81 after I got married.

http://www.pnw4runners.com/guitar_stuff/9.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.com/guitar_stuff/6.jpg

Sweet SG - Congrats!

Wampler "Faux Echo" - Nice! I've been procrastinating over that since I first heard the demo last year. How do you like it?

I used to have the full size V3 head, how are you liking the new format (lunchbox style)? Brutal amp, can be very sizzly tho, that presence knob was always left near zero on mine and I use the Treb and mids to work the highs so I wouldn't have the fizzies. Bottom end chug for days tho! EQ'd right, the V3 is a beast!

Sweet SG - Congrats!

Wampler "Faux Echo" - Nice! I've been procrastinating over that since I first heard the demo last year. How do you like it?

I used to have the full size V3 head, how are you liking the new format (lunchbox style)? Brutal amp, can be very sizzly tho, that presence knob was always left near zero on mine and I use the Treb and mids to work the highs so I wouldn't have the fizzies. Bottom end chug for days tho! EQ'd right, the V3 is a beast!

Thanks, I am stoked about it.

Gosh, it even smells great everytime I open up the case the smell hits me :D

I like the Faux Tape Echo a lot, so many ways to make it sound cool.

The only pedals I had back in the 70s when I played were a Vox Wa Wa made by the Thomas Organ company, and Electro Harmonix Big Muff distortion box, and an MXR Phase 90.

I spent the last few weeks watching YouTube vids on boxes out now, and just had to get that tape echo one.

Here is another one I bought the other day, should have it tomorrow to mess around with by the weekend.

Darn thing sounds pretty cool, almost like a sitar.

I really like the V3M.

I live in an apartment complex, so I have it on the 7 watt setting, and it will still blow me away if I have it up to much.

I find having the main channel volume way up along with the drive and the master volume down gives it a nice sustaining sound much like that old Big Muff box I had long ago.

Thanks for the tip on the presence knob, I will have to experiment with it next time I get the chance.

SO many settings on the amp.

I only wish I had something like this back in the 70s when I played a lot.

I have been playing this one non-stop since January when it was purchased new. The coolest part about it was that it left the factory on my birthday. I changed the knobs to cream, and perhaps by the next string change I will have installed a cream pick guard as well. I replaced the truss rod cover with a custom engraved one, which turned out to be a different trace cut, however I don't mind because the drillings lined up. I have been installing new strings once a month because I have been playing it that much.

After an initial fret crowning and set up by a local Luthier, I have been setting up every string change and trying a few different adjustments depending on the gauge strings I have been using. I have been using Regular Slinky Ernie Balls, however I find they are not holding up. I just recently was given a set of Thomastik-Infeld Vienna Power-Brights that have a Heavy Bottom to them. 10-13-18-28-42-50. So far these are feeling awesome, however I am just waiting to see how long they last. I notice the difference from the A-E, however not so much on the G.

Here is what it looks like now:

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

Not sure if the bass really counts for this but here are my 2:

311763039.jpg

'61 RI in white (GOTW #26) and a Faded Bass.

Hello, I also have a white 61 GOTW. I would say the neck on it and sound are unbelievable

Just pure bad ***. But mine has some construction defects that I just cant seem to see how

the guy did what he did. When he made the turn with the sander that they use to route the edges

straight right where the knobs are its like the dude dropped his cigarette and let the damn sanding

surface sand a noticeable notch into the the body. I didnt notice it for a long time and was so happy

with how it played that every time i think about it I blow it off but I was wondering does yours have some

weird construction flaw like mine?

Thanks, I am stoked about it.

Gosh, it even smells great everytime I open up the case the smell hits me :D

I like the Faux Tape Echo a lot, so many ways to make it sound cool.

The only pedals I had back in the 70s when I played were a Vox Wa Wa made by the Thomas Organ company, and Electro Harmonix Big Muff distortion box, and an MXR Phase 90.

I spent the last few weeks watching YouTube vids on boxes out now, and just had to get that tape echo one.

Here is another one I bought the other day, should have it tomorrow to mess around with by the weekend.

Darn thing sounds pretty cool, almost like a sitar.

I really like the V3M.

I live in an apartment complex, so I have it on the 7 watt setting, and it will still blow me away if I have it up to much.

I find having the main channel volume way up along with the drive and the master volume down gives it a nice sustaining sound much like that old Big Muff box I had long ago.

Thanks for the tip on the presence knob, I will have to experiment with it next time I get the chance.

SO many settings on the amp.

I only wish I had something like this back in the 70s when I played a lot.

Im jealous LOL, I love EH effects and yes their new ones they got going right now are just out off the top. Go to

Electro harmonix website to see all of them. I have the HOG and foot switch for it. That should tell you how much Im

into them. I really wish I had the POG2 instead for size. I also have been listening to you tube videos. Did you hear the

one that did like an exact copy of Pink Floyd "Running ????????" can remember the rest. Its on Money or wish you were here.

so cool. Be careful it can get so addicting and before you know it you have spent a fortune on pedals from EH. That Sitar is

going to lead to more Im sorry. :)

Archived