Gibson Brands Forums

Post Pics of Your Baby

colin4195

Nice! Great grain and contours. I picked one up a year ago and I love it. Pics really don't do these guitars justice. It is hard to fully appreciate them until you pick one up and hold and play it. One stranger in a music store and one friend bought one after playing mine and listening to me rave about it.

Got her a few weeks back . 2011 61 RI

HPIM2647-1.jpgHPIM2656.jpgHPIM2643.jpgP4020146.jpg

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! Is that ever nice. Looks like the real thing. Beautiful deep contours.

Yeah, the reissues are done real nicely. Its a 2001 model '61 Reissue. I love the tapered horns and the beveling is very deep like on your '62.

I happened to get it when the Maestro was an option. I don't know why they stopped doing that. It doesn't look so '60's without it. They should have it as an option on all the SG models, IMHO.

Yeah, the reissues are done real nicely. Its a 2001 model '61 Reissue. I love the tapered horns and the beveling is very deep like on your '62.

I happened to get it when the Maestro was an option. I don't know why they stopped doing that. It doesn't look so '60's without it. They should have it as an option on all the SG models, IMHO.

Ditto on that one.

Very Nice! It's hard to go wrong with a straight up standard. Did it come with a TP-6?

Thanks! I had the TP-6 already. it got pulled from the G-400 I traded when I bought the Std.

I also added pointer washers for a vintage touch

Talk about a Real Don Felder 1275. That thing looks awesome!

P4250071b.jpg

Talk about a Real Don Felder 1275. That thing looks awesome!

I think Mr. Felders is a 1977, which are rare.... From the info I have gathered only 42 units were made in 1977, as oppose to the 288 units built in 1978

How'd you get that color?

She was part of some kind of a limited run. I got mine from a local 5 Star Dealer but both Musiican's Friend and Sweetwater advertised them.

The pictutre doesn't really do it justice. She's a little darker than in the photo and the fretboard is not faded like it looks like in the picture. Strange thing is she came with a "Les Paul Custom" truss rod cover.

I don' t know if humbuckers are Gibson 490R and 498T or '57 Classic, anyway this SG have a killer 3D sound and she' s a real beauty, thank you Gibson [thumbup]

sgstandard1.jpg

My bandmate has (somewhat) the same guitar

but

it has a neck like a Special

the hardware is the oxidized look (dense silver with no shine)

and EMG pickups.

The body and pickguard are identical to yours.

More than likely 9/10th's of his is aftermarket stuff.

Here's mine:

61sgreissuebody.jpg

Thanks again for posting this pic Lungimsam. You inspired me to add a Vibramate/B-5 to my '61 RI to make it look "more 60's." Still not as cool as a Vibrola, but I like the look.

P5015591.jpg

Thanks again for posting this pic Lungimsam. You inspired me to add a Vibramate/B-5 to my '61 RI to make it look "more 60's." Still not as cool as a Vibrola, but I like the look.

P5015591.jpg

Wow, looks real nice! Now you have an original with Maestro, as well as an RI with Bigsby! Best of both worlds. Which one dives further?

The vibrola dives further, but if you go Neil Young on either one you had better have another axe ready to pick up!

Wow, looks real nice! Now you have an original with Maestro, as well as an RI with Bigsby! Best of both worlds. Which one dives further?

The above post was correct. They were issued for SGs and Les Pauls in the mid 80's. They were called the Protector or "Pro" case. Referred to by most as the chainsaw case. I have two of the slightly more compact version as pictured below. I swear you could back over them with a truck and not harm the guitar.

Gen1Gen2-2.jpg

197920LPS20BLK20CASE.jpg

5227615661_460c5c5199_z.jpg

no one seems to know... but i'll be the first to admit they are ugly (i put it in the so ugly it's cool category) and not surprised they didn't last long. no lock, very solid and i'm not afraid to nick it up.

The above post was correct. They were issued for SGs and Les Pauls in the mid 80's. They were called the Protector or "Pro" case. Referred to by most as the chainsaw case. I have two of the slightly more compact version as pictured below. I swear you could back over them with a truck and not harm the guitar.

Gen1Gen2-2.jpg

197920LPS20BLK20CASE.jpg

Yeh, I had one of these cases with my 1987 Alpine White Les Paul Custom. Somebody told me they were originally made for Sears for chainsaws and then adapted

to be used for guitar cases. I hated it because it made carrying the guitar so awkward. But you're probably right about being able to back over one with a truck.

However, I wouldn't press my luck. [rolleyes]

Archived