Gibson Brands Forums

1980 Dove - fake or genuine?

powerpopper

There's a couple of things going on here that don't quite look right. First, the rosette is totally buried under the finish at the soundhole, which is not typical, even with a "burst" finish. Typically, the rosette would be distinctly white and black, not muddy-looking. Second, the pickguard doesn't seem to fit properly around the soundhole, but that may be a function of the picture angle. The inner curve of the pickguard should exactly mimic the soundhole--it shouldn't line up with the soundhole, but it should be consistent with the "circles" of the rosette. That is, the inner arc of the pickguard should be equidistant from the soundhole at all points until the inner curve reverses, as it does on some Gibson pickguards.

There's a couple of things going on here that don't quite look right. First, the rosette is totally buried under the finish at the soundhole, which is not typical, even with a "burst" finish. Typically, the rosette would be distinctly white and black, not muddy-looking. Second, the pickguard doesn't seem to fit properly around the soundhole, but that may be a function of the picture angle. The inner curve of the pickguard should exactly mimic the soundhole--it shouldn't line up with the soundhole, but it should be consistent with the "circles" of the rosette. That is, the inner arc of the pickguard should be equidistant from the soundhole at all points until the inner curve reverses, as it does on some Gibson pickguards.

I don't know if you're talking about my Dove or the one on ebay, but the rosette getting "lost" in the dark finish is on both, (as is the center binding on the back). Probably a Norlin thing.

The sound hole on my Dove has the finish worn off due to a pickup I use there, so if you're talking about mine, it's just a illusion.

My Dove is not abused, but it's not pampered either, (as you can tell my the pick-marks, etc.)

The wear was done on mine years ago, I tend to take much better care of it now.

The rosette being buried under the burst is a Norlin thing. Seen it many times.

The rest of the rosette being darker (or at least not white) might be a reult of the the overall dark bursts they had then. I suspect they may have sprayed tinted lacquer over the entire guitar prior to the sunbursting and the binding (only) got scraped afterwards. Just a guess, mind you.

Hey Rob,

Yours looks like it has gold leaves on the PG and the eBay has green.

Did they switch 'em around like that or is your's faded a bit?

BTW, yours looks in fine shape for a player from '79. B)

Ya know, I don't know. I got that guitar back in 1980. That's the pickguard that was on it when new and I've never touched it.

I did notice that the Dean Markley pickup wore the dark off the soundhole, (at the pickguard), and because I switch back and forth between the Dove and Jubilee, it never stays in the guitar long.

(and I won't use it on the DIF).

This guitar is never left "out". It lives in the case.

I'll defer to others on the rosette being buried under the finish. Must be a Norlin thing. Even on the cheapie (then) 1950 J-45 I own, the rosette is clean and bright, rather than oversprayed. I've never owned one of the Norlin Gibsons. Aside from my old J-45, my other Gibsons are a Nashville '59 ES-335 Historic, and a '68 ES 335-12. I learn something new about the Norlin era every day!

The one on E-bay has a few "quirks" to me. The only thing that caught my eye was on the Gibson block lettering on the headstock. The letter "B" in Gibson looks a little weird to me. Must be the camera angle. Everything else looks okay. It's probably genuine. A decent price too!

The one on E-bay has a few "quirks" to me. The only thing that caught my eye was on the Gibson block lettering on the headstock. The letter "B" in Gibson looks a little weird to me. Must be the camera angle. Everything else looks okay. It's probably genuine. A decent price too!

The "b" too looks the same to me:

Ebay:

$(KGrHqN,!iME1NuhHYSbBNdERI6zcQ~~_12.JPG

Mine:

DSC01217.jpg?t=1300127875

Might be you're confusing the older closed script logo with the current models you're used to seeing having the open loop script (the "b" and "o" are open), making it look "off".

gibson-rosewood-headstock.jpg

Might be you're confusing the older closed script logo with the current models you're used to seeing having the open loop script (the "b" and "o" are open), making it look "off".

gibson-rosewood-headstock.jpg

Must be it, BK! It just jumped off the screen at me!

Concerning the G-logo, there's quite a lot of variants (guess most of you know). And I'm talking the modern straight lined ones here.

I was worried about my 68 SJ – it has the dotless version, but found out it was made by a so called pantographic technique, where a whole block of abelone is placed in the headstock, which then get sprayed via a perforated template – Aha. . .

Nice Doves by the way – not often seen bursted like that.

Archived