Gibson Brands Forums

2007 Custom Shop Historic 1964 Firebird III

ibis

Hi, here is my Firebird III:

Image006.jpg

Just a quick question for Admin about CS FBIII's!

I gather that the pickups are vintage spec Alnico Firebired dual-blade humbuckers as opposed to the ceramic high output ones on the USA FB V and VII's. Do you have any spec on the pickups regarding DC resistance rating?

Its a lovely guitar, with a great neck that's much chunkier than the 60's profile necks on the USA models. The woods and workmanship are stunning. For live work I've replaced the lightning bridge with with the TonePros AVT-II

4434.jpg

which makes the trem and tuning pretty perfect. The TP locking posts are great and stop the bridge from wobbling and leaning. Its a fully reversible mod.

Another quick question for Admin: The guitar nose dives unless I put wear the strap over the tail, Allen Collins fashion. I see a lot of people, including AC himself, put an extra strap button on the neck heel. This mod is obviously not reversible. Question is, has the Custom Shop ever released Historic Firebirds with 3 strap buttons? If so, I might be tempted to add one.

The guitar nose dives unless I put wear the strap over the tail' date=' Allen Collins fashion. I see a lot of people, including AC himself, put an extra strap button on the neck heel. [/quote']

I used to have an original Firebird III, it had the third strap button you ask about. I pretty sure they came that way from the factory back in the day. Although it does balance the guitar a little better, it still nose dived, just not as fast. But it was this neck heel button that I always used, it did make some improvement in the way it hung.

Here's a pic of my 1964 (born on date, not reissue of) Firebird III. From your pic it looks like Gibson did a fine recreation. You'll notice mine had the flat-bar tremolo arm (some III's back then had the flat, some had the round), and I also changed the bridge out, to a Leo Quan Badass.

2325678604_aa4807100b_o.jpg

Hi' date=' here is my Firebird III:

[img']http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/ibisguitar/Image006.jpg[/img]

Just a quick question for Admin about CS FBIII's!

I gather that the pickups are vintage spec Alnico Firebired dual-blade humbuckers as opposed to the ceramic high output ones on the USA FB V and VII's. Do you have any spec on the pickups regarding DC resistance rating?

Its a lovely guitar, with a great neck that's much chunkier than the 60's profile necks on the USA models. The woods and workmanship are stunning. For live work I've replaced the lightning bridge with with the TonePros AVT-II

4434.jpg

which makes the trem and tuning pretty perfect. The TP locking posts are great and stop the bridge from wobbling and leaning. Its a fully reversible mod.

Another quick question for Admin: The guitar nose dives unless I put wear the strap over the tail, Allen Collins fashion. I see a lot of people, including AC himself, put an extra strap button on the neck heel. This mod is obviously not reversible. Question is, has the Custom Shop ever released Historic Firebirds with 3 strap buttons? If so, I might be tempted to add one.

*LOVE THAT GUITAR*

i believe we do put 3 strap buttons on the historic firebirds...

not sure about the pickup output' date=' they're just standard gibson mini-humbuckers, though.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/Mini%2DHumbucker/

[/quote']

My understanding of Firebird pups is that they are constructed differently to regular mini-hums and look and sound different too. Those on my FBIII are much lower output than USA FB ceramic pups, I'd guess a little less than a regular HB, in region of 6.5k. Anyway of checking your info on these?

On a another note, my FBIII is a 2007 CS creation. Any idea how many you made in total last year?

Cheers.

My understanding of Firebird pups is that they are constructed differently to regular mini-hums and look and sound different too. Those on my FBIII are much lower output than USA FB ceramic pups' date=' I'd guess a little less than a regular HB, in region of 6.5k. Anyway of checking your info on these?

On a another note, my FBIII is a 2007 CS creation. Any idea how many you made in total last year?

Cheers.[/quote']

not many...somewhere in the 10-20 range...

• 6 years later...

Hey man very nice piece of wood!

I've tried one like yours just yesterday, a true masterpiece!

I take back this topic for some informations about this Firebird III, because on the web there's a deep lack of knowledge about these models.

Anyone know if on the reissue models of the Firebird III there are un-bound (one piece) or bound rosewood fingerboards?

What about the question of Alnico mini-humbucker? Also the official Gibson Custom site reports that this model (III) has got Alnico magnet instead of ceramics on model V & VII. Anyone had verified this thing?

Is the Firebird III still in production today or is only available with Custom Orders?

Hope to have some feedback! [smile]

• 1 month later...

The guitar nose dives unless I put wear the strap over the tail' date=' Allen Collins fashion. I see a lot of people, including AC himself, put an extra strap button on the neck heel. [/quote']

I used to have an original Firebird III, it had the third strap button you ask about. I pretty sure they came that way from the factory back in the day. Although it does balance the guitar a little better, it still nose dived, just not as fast. But it was this neck heel button that I always used, it did make some improvement in the way it hung.

Here's a pic of my 1964 (born on date, not reissue of) Firebird III. From your pic it looks like Gibson did a fine recreation. You'll notice mine had the flat-bar tremolo arm (some III's back then had the flat, some had the round), and I also changed the bridge out, to a Leo Quan Badass.

2325678604_aa4807100b_o.jpg

Lawd guitar candy

Archived