Gibson Brands Forums

Made in Korea Epi's vs. Made in China Epi's

Supersonic

good, now the 3 of you go have a circle-jerk, we all know you want to [love][razz][wub]

Sensitive subject? Did I hit a nerve? Sorry if that last comment was more true to life than I had imagined or intended. And I hope you 3 are very happy together. Nothin' wrong with a little "Bromance" [smile]

So when you made these statements in your "Fake Epiphones" thread, posts 22 and 24, YOU weren't FLAMING or being BLATANTLY OFFENSIVE were you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when you made these statements in your "Fake Epiphones" thread, posts 22 and 24, YOU weren't FLAMING or being BLATANTLY OFFENSIVE were you.

Maybe we should put all that in context ....

Who died and made you God?

LOL +1

Made me laugh. [biggrin]

I wish I had thought of writing that.

If the forum moderators are going to let you hijack a thread, take it off topic, and then gang up on the OP... I reserve the right at that point to say whatever the eff I want. ******.

If the forum moderators are going to let you hijack a thread, take it off topic, and then gang up on the OP... I reserve the right at that point to say whatever the eff I want. ******.

Yes, lets put the whole thread into context, shall we?. Tell us, Karine_Plays, what was your intention for creating that thread other than to hopefully gang up on whoever was posting the fake Epiphone threads? You could have just as easily sent the person a private message, but you chose to do it publicly instead. And who was it that took this thread off topic with the "beat a dead horse" meme?

Seriously, if you cant take it, dont dish it.

what was your intention for creating that thread other than to hopefully gang up on whoever was posting the fake Epiphone threads?

0.jpg

"Don't tell me what was intended!!"

You could have just as easily sent the person a private message, but you chose to do it publicly instead.

I choose not to use PM's.

And who was it that took this thread off topic with the "beat a dead horse" meme?

That was an opinion that was on topic to the discussion. This is a forum. You are currently on a planet called Earth. Enjoy your stay.

That was still on topic and a few members agreed, big deal.

You are currently on a planet called Earth. Enjoy your stay.

You are not currently on this planet called Earth. Please, don't come back.

Oh dear, here we go. Sounds like someone may be out of cigarettes.

This whole page is not only a pissing match, but most of it ain't even a pissing match about a topic, except to say it's a pissing match. (this post included).

Heh. Stein is right. This is just a pissing match now. I typically have a metric tonne of piss, and I love soaking mouthy noobs, but I'll hold it back this time. I said what I needed to say and his come-back was weak anyway. Besides, its futile to argue with someone that keeps plussing his own posts. Ooops, I guess I had a little dribble there. {{shake shake}}

Oh dear, here we go. Sounds like someone may be out of cigarettes.

This whole page is not only a pissing match, but most of it ain't even a pissing match about a topic, except to say it's a pissing match. (this post included).

I don't know if I'd even call it a pissing match. It's more like watching this guy digging his own grave deeper and deeper. The more he responds, the funnier it gets.

It kinda sucks though, when people were still talking about the original topic (which was the whole point!), it was quite interesting and cleared up some things that I didn't know about the MIK/MIC thing.

lol..it still is a good thread. There happens to be a lot of real and experienced post on here. By that I mean ACTUAL experiences and observations that were contributed, which to me makes it useful.

It doesn't take someone knowing everything to be informed, but someone limeting they're input to actual observations to contribute to a whole that creates a truthful and useful topic. This thread seems to be doing that more than normal.

I don't know if I'd even call it a pissing match. It's more like watching this guy digging his own grave deeper and deeper. The more he responds, the funnier it gets.

It kinda sucks though, when people were still talking about the original topic (which was the whole point!), it was quite interesting and cleared up some things that I didn't know about the MIK/MIC thing.

I've played a big part in this derailment simply by answering some of the ridiculous posts by that guy. Believe me, I try so hard not to be combative, but with such disagreeable (to me) comments and rants, it's extremely difficult, I know that if no one replied to him, he'd probably go away, but that seems little comfort.

Sorry about the probs SS, I'll make no further posts and hope the thread gets back on track.

I'm not sure what else there is to say on the subject. We've covered the truths, the myths and the reasons for both. Every time a company moves to a new plant, it seems there is always a period of questionable production. Even the highly praised Japanese guitars were considered poor at first. A good portion of the guitars werent even Epiphone models, but prior Matsumoku guitars with the Epiphone name on the headstock. Many people did not like these. The ET-270 is a good example of this. Then there were the bolt-on archtops and acoustics. People still dont have many good things to say about those, even though they seem to have a little bit of collector value due to their age and rarity.

A good example of this is the ET-Series (ET-270 not included). They were considered to be very undesirable compared to the American Coronet, Wilshire, Crestwood and Olympic. But today, people love them and seek them out. The same thing is happening with the Korean guitars.

And on the non-guitar related side, many people have a bias against China and Chinese products for a great deal of reasons. Right or wrong, I would imagine that plays a big part in peoples' opinions on Chinese Epiphones and other guitars in general.

I have one of those bolt-on acoustics from the 70's and it's in terrible shape. I only payed $100 for it and it was already pretty beat up. The bridge started lifting up from the body and some genius decided to put to screws in it with nothing underneath to hold it down and now the body is cracking. #-o It still plays, but it's far from a quality instrument. When I bought it, I saw the Kalamazoo logo on the inside so I figured why not? Little did I know that they were just left over labels that they were tring to get rid of. Oh well, it's hard to complain too much about a guitar I got for $100. It's a conversation piece if nothing else.

i do have a guitar that is from japan from Matsumoku guitars its a quest attak ll made by vantage(the white one on my sig). I bought it new back in 1985. I still have it and i did installed my epi pickups on it and like to play it once in a while. As for the quality i have nothing to complain.

i do have a guitar that is from japan from Matsumoku guitars its a quest attak ll made by vantage. I bought it new back in 1985. I still have it and i did installed my epi pickups on it and like to play it once in a while. As for the quality i have nothing to complain.

The Matsumoku guitars were good guitars in general. Not top quality like the old American Epiphones, and that is where the disparity lies. Its a succesion from American to Japanese, to Korean/Indonesian, to Chinese. Its the same cycle reapeating itself, really.

Epiphone Matsumoku made some pretty neat guitars. Some of which were made in the early years (1982-83) and are quite rare, if not practically unknown. They made a bolt-neck Flying-V called the Model 1140,

as well as a set-neck BC Rich B i tch clone. Not sure of the actual name of that one though. Not much info available. Its probably called Model-???? or something similar. Pretty neat guitar.

Sort of off topic a bit but relevant given that the general consensus is that quality is more variable when production in a new plant starts- some more questions:

1. What year did Epi start manufacturing guitars in China?

2. Did they start manufacturing in China when the Quingdao plant opened or did they use another non-Epi Chinese plant before that?

3. What's the difference, if any, between the Gibson China Plant and the Epiphone China plant?

Alan

I have a Custom Shop Korean Epi Firebird V that is just a remarkable guitar in the way it plays and sounds and it sounds like a mid 60s SG.Unfortunately I haven't played any MIC Firebirds to do a comparison except to be able to say that the worn cherry finishes on the MICs are hidious IMHO.I have 3 other MIC Epis and they are just flawless in quality in every way.There was a time when MIC Epis-and other brands-were iffy in quality to say the least but it seems like over the past few years they have raised their standards considerably.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've asked about this a few times in other threads and I haven't gotten any response besides "they made 'em better". Why do people think that the MIK models are so much better? I find this debate (if you can call it that) very odd, so enlighten me.

hi just found a epi les paul mik that has f holes and is simi hollow,I think it is refered to as a les paul es,made in 1999 and it is used,with new strings and a few tweeks and this one is a keeper,it is all stock and screams with no feedback,found it in a pawn shop,noticed the f hole and had to pick it up and play it,light about 4 lbs it sounded and played very good acousticly,never even pluged it in in the store,other than the tuning machines it is top quality and if you see one for sale buy it,I own a usa tele and strat,a prs custom 22,esp eclipse II,jackson custom shop,alvarez yairi and this one holds its own,has its own voice,the main thing is this if it plays well sounds good and feel good in your hands it realy dont matter who made it,thanks

Korean (Samick) Epiphones, on some models, were (basically) just

Samick guitars, with Epi inlays, headstocks, and logos. Their silhouettes were

otherwise nearly identical. With Qingdao made Epi's, they returned

to more like "Gibson" specs, as the original Gibson versions, had.

So, as long as the quality is as good, or better, than the Samick

era versions, I'd be more inclined (personally), to buy the Qingdao

versions, as they're closer in specs, to the USA "Gibson era"

Epi's. However...the return, to the 5-piece neck, on the Sheraton,

is "Asian" (Japanese & Korean) in spec, but still a nice option.

Gibson era, and the Elitist and AIUSA, Japanese versions, were 1-piece

mahogany...same as their Gibson counterparts.

CB

There are two factorys in QingDao

Gibson QingDao (GQ) opened 2002

Epiphone QingDao (EQ) opened 2007

But mine is an Epiphone (G400).

They were making G400s in the Gibson factory??

Archived