Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings for my Les Paul Special II

robicalian

Hi!!

What are the right strings for my Epiphone Les Paul Special II you can see below?

When I bought HER, the strings were sticking to neck and I played with great pleasure.

When strings used up, my teacher told me to assemble the ERNIE BALL 2221 nickel wounded (you can see image below).

but strings became far from neck and I play with trouble!

Please someone help me! :(

post-31783-081081700 1300465502_thumb.jpg

post-31783-055266000 1300465330_thumb.jpg

Those ernie ball slinky 10s should be just fine for your guitar, It sounds to me like you may have the bridge set too high.

The height of the bridge can be adjusted via two screws, one on either side the top.

Hi!!

What are the right strings for my Epiphone Les Paul Special II you can see below?

When I bought HER, the strings were sticking to neck and I played with great pleasure.

When strings used up, my teacher told me to assemble the ERNIE BALL 2221 nickel wounded (you can see image below).

but strings became far from neck and I play with trouble!

Please someone help me! :(

Hi robicalian, welcome to the forums.

I think what has happened is when you took the old strings off the loose bridge became jammed at an odd angle on the posts, make sure the bridge is sitting down on top of the thumbwheel adjusters on the post, that should fix the height of the strings (action) up for you.

The Ernie Ball 2221 is the same string I use, they're good strings.

Epiphone electric guitars come from the factory with 10 guage strings installed. Another set of the same size should be fine. You need a set up, or like Rastus said, the bridge may be unseated or something. Make sure the bridge posts arent pulling out of the body.

The way I understand the problem, the strings used to be close to the fretboard (neck), then the teacher said to put some Ernie Ball strings on it, now the strings are far from the fretboard (neck), is that the problem you're having robicalian?

This may be a good time to say:

When you change guitar strings, do not take all the strings from the guitar. Remove one string, put on new strings.

There are reasons for more experienced guitar people to remove all the strings. The other guys mentioned some possible problems with your guitar.

m

This may be a good time to say:

When you change guitar strings, do not take all the strings from the guitar. Remove one string, put on new strings.

There are reasons for more experienced guitar people to remove all the strings. The other guys mentioned some possible problems with your guitar.

m

I back this up. EVEN IF ITS LOCKING theirs a good chance they will self adjust or worse fall off!

Just take your time and be careful (I recommend you buy cutting pliers tho as too much string on the headstock can be a bad thing... and you can clean it up better

Do it the RIGHT WAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

I have been using the DR strings on my basses for a while now. That's after trying just about every string manuf. available for bass strings. I had been using EBs for a long time on my electric guitars, but I thought...why not try the DR strings on my electric guitars, since I like their bass stings so much... I have not looked back. Every EG of mine has the Pure Blues 10s on them. When I get a new guitar, I don't even wait for the string that are on it to wear out.. The Pure Blues go on it immediately.

The way I understand the problem, the strings used to be close to the fretboard (neck), then the teacher said to put some Ernie Ball strings on it, now the strings are far from the fretboard (neck), is that the problem you're having robicalian?

Yes the problem is this one!!!

Hi!!

I have set the bridge.

I don't have the same feeling than ever, but now strings are nearest to fretboard...

Thanks to everybody, above all to Rastus :-)

@milod:

Really, at the beginning of this story I should do like you suggest [unsure]

@SolidSnake1mgs

Now I have learned how to restring! [thumbup]

robbie

Archived