Gibson Brands Forums

sg 61 reissue tunig problem?

Jeffvisca

fairly common problem here........

did you replace the factory strings, and did you change string guage?

anyhow...... start w/good strings of factory (.010) size, make sure they're not binding in the nut, if they are then use an old string as a file to "rout out" the notch until it glides through easily. lube the slots with pencil graphite afterwards.

make sure the screws and barrel nut on the tuners themselves are tight.

these are the most common causes.

• Upvote 1

anyhow...... start w/good strings of factory (.010) size, make sure they're not binding in the nut, if they are then use an old string as a file to "rout out" the notch until it glides through easily. lube the slots with pencil graphite afterwards.

and give 'em (strings) a good stretch

I had the issue with my new '61 RI, so I changed out the strings then got some of that nut lube (not Nut Sauce) and put that in there. Things are much better now. I still think the nut needs some work, but the tuners are fine. It's the nut that's binding. It is a little disappointing that a $2,000 guitar needs to have the nut filed, but it is what it is. Great guitar otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, even after my "Tech" did a set up and checked it out, he knows the drill. I bend the crap out of the strings, use tens and same problem. That is what prompted me to get the Classic, and put the Sperzels on it, didn't want to modify the 61 RI. I will check the nut and see if any binding is occuring, but I don't here that "ping" when you put pressure on the string usually associated with that. It is a great beautiful guitar and Gibson did a nice job on that one!

If you're not hearing the telltale "ping" of binding nut or saddle slots, take a look at the depth of the nut slots. The distance between the bottom of the slot and the top of the fretboard should be fairly even, with the largest distance on the bass E and the shortest distance on the treble E. If one or two slots look noticeably higher than the rest, you might want your tech to check the nut - Gibson has had some problems with improperly cut nut slots.

I have the same problem, even after my "Tech" did a set up and checked it out, he knows the drill. I bend the crap out of the strings, use tens and same problem. That is what prompted me to get the Classic, and put the Sperzels on it, didn't want to modify the 61 RI. I will check the nut and see if any binding is occuring, but I don't here that "ping" when you put pressure on the string usually associated with that. It is a great beautiful guitar and Gibson did a nice job on that one!

I'm telling you, it's not the tuners, it's the nut. It may need some cleaning up or refiling, but the tuners are rarely the issue when a guitar fails to stay in tune.

• 3 months later...

yeah, I have this problem as well. Very frustrating.

I appreciate the tips though. Im going to check out the nut and see if I can get this to work properly.

Playing a whole song in tune on this $2000 guitar would be pretty sweet. hope it happens.

on a related note. EVERY 61 reissue I tried had this problem. And I played alot of them. The one I picked was the least offensive, and it's a real pain in the ***. I assumed that once I changed the strings, Id be all set, but it's still the same. Hopefully the suggestions regarding the nut help out.

Would be great to hear someone from GIbson reply. I own quite a few guitars, 2 other gibsons (SG standard, and LP traditional), non of which have this kind of an issue.

It's such a nice guitar, but you guys have a problem here. This isn't right.

ALWAYS take any guitar you buy straight to your beloved trusted guitar tech. New or used every single guitar I buy goes striaght to my tech. Unless you have the proper files for the nut and know what your doing, don't go in there filing away. That's just crazy on a $2000 guitar. Hell I bought a kick around guitar for practice so I wasn't wearing out my main axe's a cheap Gibson/Baldwin 'Epoch'for $99 and it went striaght to my guitar tech for a fret dressing.

ALWAYS take any guitar you buy straight to your beloved trusted guitar tech. New or used every single guitar I buy goes striaght to my tech. Unless you have the proper files for the nut and know what your doing, don't go in there filing away. That's just crazy on a $2000 guitar. Hell I bought a kick around guitar for practice so I wasn't wearing out my main axe's a cheap Gibson/Baldwin 'Epoch'for $99 and it went striaght to my guitar tech for a fret dressing.

I have to say, I've NEVER had to until now. My Strat played great in the shop. 8 years later, not a single set up.... still plays perfect. Les Paul... same thing. No issues at the shop when I bought it.... well taken care of = no issues.

This particular guitar (61 reissue) has a problem. I've never owned a Gibson with tuning issues like this. or any guitar actually. Seen it lots of times on really cheap guitars, but never on something like this.

Someone at Gibson should be checking this out, because this is a problem specific to the 61 reissue. A quality control issue as far as I can tell.

I used to think it was me or something small on the guitar (tuners, bridge, or nut), but the more I read on message boards the more I think it is a flaw in the SG's design, especially with the 61 reissue, related to the length of the neck and the neck joint. If you play hard like I do, you'll probably have tuning problems. My SG Special can be frustrating at times because the G string will go sharp after playing it hard and doing a lot of bends. My new SG Classic appears to be a lot more stable tuning wise. We'll see after I swap out the nut (cut for 11s) and do a setup.

I just wanted to say that this solved my problem completely. I am now actually happy with this guitar!

Thanks!

Dan

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

Should I be buy the PT-6060, PT-6115, PT-6116, PT-6010 or PT-6000 a replacement nut? The 6000 and 6010 (Gibson style) both have a string spacing of 36.2mm and just differ in height (the 6010 is 1mm higher). The 6060 (Epiphone style) is slightly narrower, thicker/deeper and slightly shorter than the 6010 and has a narrower string separation (E to E).

Thanks,

Daniel

If I was about to buy me a Reissue, is there a quick way to tell if the one I try out has a tuning problem? Besides playing like a mad man?

In my case the G string goes out of tune, usually sharp, within 5 minutes of tuning or playing. I can actually watch it go in and out of tune on the tuner seconds after registering in tune. Very frustrating. But thanks to all posts here I'll be having my guitar tech check the nut issue. I'll post the results tomorrow. Good luck with your search.

In my case the G string goes out of tune, usually sharp, within 5 minutes of tuning or playing. I can actually watch it go in and out of tune on the tuner seconds after registering in tune. Very frustrating. But thanks to all posts here I'll be having my guitar tech check the nut issue. I'll post the results tomorrow. Good luck with your search.

Please let us know how it turns out...

Q: Do you regret buying this model?

I have still not decided which one to get.

But if the reissue has tuning issues I might start looking at the anniversary model (even though people tend to complain about th PU's) or a Derek Trucks (twice the price, I know)

But if the reissue has tuning issues I might start looking at the anniversary model (even though people tend to complain about th PU's) or a Derek Trucks (twice the price, I know)

At this point I don't regret buying this model because when it is in tune it plays great. Nice action, sustain, and tone. Talk to me after I get the nut checked tomorrow and I may be of a different opinion. I hope not though.

I have a 2010 '61 re-issue and it had the same problem. 5 minutes in the hands of a capable luthier and the problem was solved by filing the nut. That was when I was playing 10's. Now I've gone up to 11's on the guitar, and still no problems. Stays in tune for a long time now, before I took it to the luthier I had to tune between each song.

I don't regret buying it at all, the tuning issue is now a non-issue and the guitar looks and sounds awesome.

Ok. After the second trip to the Luther on Friday things nave settled down nicely. Went from .10's to 11's, readjusted the truss rod, and filed the nut. Now it's staying in tune as expected for a new set of strings and no wonky G string issues. Definitely keeping this one. I would say if you are looking for a 61 reissue just plan on having it setup properly as soon as practical.

• 4 months later...

[

If the nut lube doesn't work, try the nut sauce.

quote name=fedwayjohn' timestamp='1300650837' post='887075]

I had the issue with my new '61 RI, so I changed out the strings then got some of that nut lube (not Nut Sauce) and put that in there. Things are much better now. I still think the nut needs some work, but the tuners are fine. It's the nut that's binding. It is a little disappointing that a $2,000 guitar needs to have the nut filed, but it is what it is. Great guitar otherwise.

I don't have this tuning problem. I used to, until I changed how I tune. Usually, Gibson... It's the G string.

I tune it a bit sharp, then I do a hard bend, mid fretboard. This will definitely drop it flat. I now tune, back up. Try a couple hard bends, she usually stays in tune at that point. As well as any other guitar I own, besides the Floyd Rose, which never goes out of tune.

That technique keeps my LP, SGJ, SG... and all of them will not hold tune on G, if you just hit it and run with it. Have to do that bend.

Why, it doesn't slide in the nut after that, I don't know?

Start at the tuners and go to the tailpiece checking everything. Make sure you have very little string bend over the bridge. You may need to top wrap or raise the tailpiece to get this angle low as you can. They come with a very severe angle. You can easily reduce this angle by 20 degs.

Are machine head bushings tight? Are the tiny wood screws on each tuner snug?

Dental floss on the nut slots helps stop binding.

Polishing the saddle notches on the bridge with a brass Dremel polishing wire brush. You want the saddle notches smooth as a baby's behind. Polish not file! Dental floss can be used here too.

While you've got the strings out the nut slots and bridge saddle notches apply the graphite dust or nut sauce to the slots.

This takes about 20 minutes. Take your time.