Gibson Brands Forums

Who is the most prolific songwriting team in rock/pop?

jaxson50

Lennon & McCartney? Jagger and Richards? Simon & Garfunkle? Not even close!

Lieber and Stoller have had more hits in Rock & Roll, Blues, and Pop music then any team or single songwriting team... Since the early 1950's they have written hits for everyone from Ben E King to Johnny Cash, Elvis, The Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, The Coasters,

Stand By Me, Kansas City, Charlie Brown, On Broadway, Jackson, Poison Ivy, Jailhouse Rock, You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog, Spanish Harlem, There Goes My Baby, Yakety Yak, Three Cool Cats, That is Rock and Roll. The list is much longer then can be listed here, but check out this link....These guys have given us many mant hits...

http://www.leiberstoller.com/Discography.html

They certainly wrote some songs which are unhesitatingly thought of as 'Classics'.

Another singer/songwriter who might surprise people by her success is Dolly Parton. She, herself, has had 25 number one hits but has been the writer for many, many more. She's been nominated for forty-five Grammy's, winning eight of them. All told she's written somewhere over 3,000 songs!

Not exactly my cup of tea but quite a, ermm, 'track-record' !

P.

Since the early 1950's they have written hits for everyone from Ben E King to Johnny Cash, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, The Coasters,

Stand By Me, Kansas City, Charlie Brown, On Broadway, Jackson, Poison Ivy, Jailhouse Rock, You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog, Spanish Harlem, There Goes My Baby, Yakety Yak, Three Cool Cats...

[blink]

Wow, all my favorites!

Well, not really...

[lol]

I'll take Waters/Gilmour, Jaggar/Richards or Page/Plant over that stuff any day of the week.

They started out as two kids wanting to write nothing but Blues....when they wrote "Hound dog" they had Big Mama Thornton in mind, they didn't know who Elvis was. When they heard his version they were not happy....but then the checks started coming in...they wrote many of Elvis's hits...

Just a gentle nudge against the apple cart....

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Lennon and McCartney

George and Ira Gershwin

Graham Gouldman

Elton John and Bernie Taupin

V

:-({|=

Boyce and Hart (The Monkees) B)

Just a gentle nudge against the apple cart....

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Lennon and McCartney

George and Ira Gershwin

Graham Gouldman

Elton John and Bernie Taupin

V

:-({|=

Morrissey/Marr then.

When it comes to the shear number of hits it may be impossible to declare one better than another, however, these men were writing hits when Lennon and McCartney, Jagger and Richards, Young and Taupin, Goffin & King, Stanley and Simmons, Dolly Parton and The Monkeys were still in elementary school..before some of them were born..in fact they may well have inspired many of them.

That is a good thing....

When I read "Prolific" first in my mind was Lieber and Stoller. Prolific isn't a subjective term, it means they wrote the most. I'm betting if someone cared to tally hits from the 50's to today they wrote way more hits than any other writing team. That's what I call prolific.

When I read "Prolific" first in my mind was Lieber and Stoller. Prolific isn't a subjective term, it means they wrote the most. I'm betting if someone cared to tally hits from the 50's to today they wrote way more hits than any other writing team. That's what I call prolific.

[thumbup]

Ya know what else I've always admired about Lieber and Stoller, as well as Kris Kristoferson, Carole King and some of the other Great Songwriters? They can write for the opposite sex.

Leiber & Stoller's "Hound Dog", I always thought Big Mamma Thornton wrote that.

Kristofferson wrote "Bobby McGee" for Janis Joplin.

Carole King helped with BB Kings Indianola Mississippi Seeds.

Not to take away from the Plants & Pages or the Lennons & McCartneys, but writing for your group and your sound is very different than writing and crafting songs for someone else. That takes a deeper understanding of what makes a song sound like it does.

Ya know what else I've always admired about Lieber and Stoller, as well as Kris Kristoferson, Carole King and some of the other Great Songwriters? They can write for the opposite sex.

Leiber & Stoller's "Hound Dog", I always thought Big Mamma Thornton wrote that.

Kristofferson wrote "Bobby McGee" for Janis Joplin.

Carole King helped with BB Kings Indianola Mississippi Seeds.

Not to take away from the Plants & Pages or the Lennons & McCartneys, but writing for your group and your sound is very different than writing and crafting songs for someone else. That takes a deeper understanding of what makes a song sound like it does.

Hmmm lets see Len and Mac wrote Love Of The Love and Step Inside Love for Cilla Black and Goodbye for Mary Hopkins so they could do it when the mood struck.

Well, I didn't know that. Still, it wasn't their typical avenue.

People who can write stuff off the top of the head have always impressed me...from Tin Pan Alley to Abbey Road....Broadway to Music Row...whipping out songs that fit into a play or can speak to feeling everybody can relate to...that is a art...

People who can write stuff off the top of the head have always impressed me...from Tin Pan Alley to Abbey Road....Broadway to Music Row...whipping out songs that fit into a play or can speak to feeling everybody can relate to...that is a art...

Agreed, a very elusive art.

Archived