Gibson Brands Forums

Paint Crack on my 339

KDRR

I have a 07 339. Last night I grabbed the 339 by the upper horn and it felt funny so I look closer and see I have a crack about a 11/2 long in the back of the right horn looking from the back of the guitar. I`m pretty sure its a paint crack and not a body crack. Has anyone else ended up with a crack on their 339. I mean the guitar is only about 31/2 yrs old? Thanks Keith

Yes I have had some cracks in less time. Your guitar does not have any "paint" on it. It has tinted lacquer that expands and contracts with the temperature. In a case where the temp changes faster than the lacquer can react, it will crack. It is part of the aging process. About 3 weeks ago, I looked a friends original 1958 Les Paul and there was not one lacquer crack on it. I have also seen Les Pauls less than a year old that have many lacquer cracks. If it is a lacquer crack and not the wood, a good luthier can fix it quickly and pretty cheap. If it is into the wood, contact the dealer as it could be a warranty issue.

This can happen from a sudden temperature change, or too low humidity levels. The sudden temperature change could have split the paint from the wood expanding faster than the finish, or if it is indeed a crack in the wood, going with the grain, it is most likely that the guitar has dried out too much from the dry winter months. This being a nitro-finished guitar, this will be an easy repair for a repair shop, even if the wood is cracked :)

Thanks guys, and there has been weather changes here more than normal. Listening to you and I do think too that (Your guitar does not have any "paint" on it. It has tinted lacquer that expands and contracts with the temperature) your right. Keith

I've had many Gibsons over the years & currently own ten. All have been stored (since '88) in the same location. The nitro finish on some has remained pristine, while others have had assorted cracks or blistering develop. I attribute most of this to the varied content of particular batches of nitro, rather than problems in the application process. It's unfortunate, and means that to a great extent it's the luck of the draw as to whether or not you've got one with a stable finish.

Archived